PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Fort Bragg fishing charters

Blackened
05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Planning a salmon trip next month out of Fort Bragg, and was wondering if anyone could advise on the best charters/boats. Thanks in advance.

Reel_burner
05-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Good luck! I made reservations once up there, called to make sure it was a go, drove up all the way from the Bay Area, showed up at the appointed time to be told that they weren't going out because the wasn't people enough for a full load.

Another time I was already up there ab diving and I stopped by (a different outfit of course) to be told that it was "too rough to go out". As I crossed the bridge going back down to Van Damme I could see many private boats fishing right out of the harbor. Some were little more than cartoppers! I had dove that morning all the way out to the "keyhole" at VD so it couldn't have been that bad just fifteen or so miles to the North.

Maybe times have changed...

Blackened
05-21-2010, 10:49 AM
Oh that's a bummer. I already have reservations to camp at Mackerricher for the entire weekend, so I'm not making the trip just to fish.

Reel_burner
05-21-2010, 11:16 AM
That's a great park! I'm sure you'll find things to keep you busy. You ought to try the surf for perch as long as you are there. The one time I was there everyone seemed to do well.

gone fishin
05-22-2010, 09:15 AM
I heard that the Trec 11 is one of the best charters to go with...I had some friends recently use this boat...Good luck

http://www.anchorcharterboats.com/

Good luck...Ron

newtothegame
05-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Hi ... my girlfriend was nice enough to charter not only 1 fishing trip for us on the same weekend but 2! Yes 2 lol .... she chartered one for Saturday on the Rumblefish and the very next day with FishOn .... both out of Noyo Harbor ... great boats and great crews ... she unfortunately got sick after day one and stayed at the hotel the next morning and relaxed while i went and caught another limit of fish lol ..

This was about a year or two ago but the boats and the crews were excellent and we stayed at the Noyo Harbor Lodge and our room overlooked the harbor area ..nice .... had a great weekend and the fishing was excellent ...

I hope that your weekend turns out great! GOOD LUCK!!

Blackened
05-24-2010, 09:00 AM
Ron, I heard from a couple other people to stay away from the Trek II, so now I don't know what to think.

Heard good things about the Fishon though.. Thanks for the tips guys.

allkokedup
05-25-2010, 02:14 AM
The Sea Hawk is a good boat, The Captain and crew are great,was just up there and went rock fishin,all got limits.not alot of salmon fishin goin on when I was there or I would have gone out for them too

iggybabble
05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
Not too far North of ft.Bragg is Shelter cove.........google up Shelter cove sport fishing.......The capt's name is Trent Slate, he is an excellent, versatile angler......he fishes salmon, bottomfish, albacore and pacific halibut........he is very well regarded by all who know him among the SF bay area charter fleet.

iggybabble
05-25-2010, 06:48 PM
better still.........he is at www.codking.com...........ive known Trent for over 20 years, we fished a lot of the same waters

Blackened
05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds good, thanks guys.