PDA

View Full Version : Bon Tempe Full Circle (5-19-10)

Marinpaul
05-21-2010, 07:13 PM
I've had a theory that if I walked all the way around Bon Tempe fishing Kastmasters, I would catch a limit by the time I was done. So I headed out Wednesday after work to test out my theory, and started at the dam heading counter clockwise. It was a bit windy and rainy, and I had the whole lake to myself.

I started at the left side of the dam where they plant and didn't get a hit. I went to the right side of the dam, cast way out and got a small hit while the lure was settling. I started to reel and got a couple more taps, and then's he's on. He feels pretty big with a steady pull, and fights like heck near shore. First ten minutes and I've got my first fish, a 16" beauty:

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/photo-4.jpg

I was thinking it was going to be a great outing and my limit was on it's way. Then I walked, and cast, and walked, and cast. Half way around the lake. No bites. Nada.

A little past half way I switched from a gold Kastmaster to a blue/silver color, thinking this might improve things. I kept walking and casting and nothing changed.

I was still happy about finally doing my full-lake Kasmaster circuit, but was resigned to a one-fish trip. Then, about 2 hours in and 3/4 of the way around, I finally got a solid strike and my second fish, about 14 inches:

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/photo-6.jpg

Five minutes later I got a hit but missed him. I thought the evening bite was on!

A few minutes later I got another solid bite and my third fish, about 13 inches but a fatty (sorry for the bad picture):

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/photo-3.jpg

I fished for another half hour till dusk but didn't get another hit.

At least on this day my theory came up short. But it was fun to finally fish all the way around the lake. I got three nice fish and a fair amount of exercise to boot.

Fish on!

Paul

GNappers
05-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Good to see a report Paul, it has been a while. Going tommorow with Fishbucket and going to hit up Alpine. Never fished there before, I think we will enter the same entrance as Bon Tempe. Going to bring the trout gear in cast the bass aren't hitting. Maybe we will see you out there. I always wanted to fish Bon Tempe strictly with lures but I don't know if I have the patience. It is a good run around that lake, takes me and my dog about 40 minutes. Nice pictures of those colorful trout.

NorthBay Troutster
05-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Nice report. I might have to take that up some time. That was probably a nice walk and catching fish is just a plus! That first one is definitely a buet! Fish On!

fishingguysf
05-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Very nice report and always great to catch them on lures!!! Congrats on landing a few nice looking trout.

Fishon!!!

iggybabble
05-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Its been years since i fished the Marin reservoirs for anything but bass, those trout look nicer than the ones i remember from years ago............I rarely got any over 12", other than a couple nice ones out of Alpine, Kent, or from the creek between alpine and kent.

buckman78
05-22-2010, 09:41 AM
going to bon tempe today and tomorrow. my buddy lives about 5 minutes from there. we talked about fishing around the lake today. just might do that if it gets a little too windy or if the bait fishing is slow or nonexistant. thanks for the report.

Paul_707
05-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Its been years since i fished the Marin reservoirs for anything but bass, those trout look nicer than the ones i remember from years ago............I rarely got any over 12", other than a couple nice ones out of Alpine, Kent, or from the creek between alpine and kent.

Im pretty sure that creek is closed to fishing... the only reason trout go in that creek would be to spawn..

iggybabble
05-23-2010, 08:55 AM
it may very well be closed now.........years ago, it opened on the trout opener, and was legal to fish during the season. fish came up from kent lake, including some nice fish.