PDA

View Full Version : Desolation Wilderness Fishing

FISHIN_BUDDY
05-21-2010, 10:32 PM
a few friends and I are planning a hiking trip up into desolation valley in the beginning of June. Thinking of heading toward lake Aloha area but not completely set. Looking for tips on where is the best place to go to have some fishing AND catching fun. Any advice would be appreciated. :help::help:

Mackattack
05-21-2010, 11:30 PM
a few friends and I are planning a hiking trip up into desolation valley in the beginning of June. Thinking of heading toward lake Aloha area but not completely set. Looking for tips on where is the best place to go to have some fishing AND catching fun. Any advice would be appreciated. :help::help:

Any area in DV is a great time. To catch fish you may need to be stealth with your offering and use what bugs are near where you fish. They will get very spooked upon your arrival. The smaller the hook the better and move often and then go back and try again. You will have fun even without a hookup so bring some food with you.

Jake

jjjewett
05-24-2010, 11:15 AM
beginning of June ?!?

you wont be hiking my friend. snowshoeing or ski-touring is the only means of travel in desolation in early june this year.

i bet most of the lakes up there are frozen still in early june.

FISHIN_BUDDY
05-25-2010, 12:17 PM
yeah, this year the winter weather just does not want to let go... the hike will probably start at twin bridges off hwy 50 up towards Lake Aloha, its just for a couple of days so cant go too far. If their is snow on the ground I will hike else where. We are going the second week of June.

thanks for the reply's so far:thumbsup:

Legalbeagle
05-25-2010, 03:42 PM
I camped at Hemlock Lake a couple of years ago and had a blast on the Brookies. Most of them were in the 8-12" range. Actually, you can probably catch them at any of those lakes. They did want a small presentation. I had a light action rod so I was casting 1/16 Panther Martins and having a lot of action with a clear bobber and various small flies. I lost count at 20 or so fish...all released completely unharmed.

spooled
05-26-2010, 06:29 AM
Not many fish anymore. did a hike through there last year hit saucer, aloha, and few others heading back down through echo one and two. That stupid yellow frog that dfg is trying to protect has caused havoc. DFG has put gill nets across all the lakes about 40' apart killing any and ALL fish in any and all of the lakes to save the stupid frog. Very very sad.

Bob

FISHIN_BUDDY
05-26-2010, 11:42 AM
Im starting to think that with this weather we should go else where... yosemite maybe?

viper2
05-26-2010, 02:27 PM
I would try for the Penner Lake area north of 80 on the way to Tahoe. Lots of lakes, some fishing, but very senic in just a few miles. That's if you can get to the trailhead. It's at about 7000 feet.

Legalbeagle
05-26-2010, 03:54 PM
Penner is an easy hike...in summer. I've never tried it under these current conditions. If you can get to one of the trailheads at Lindsay or Carr Lake, it's about an hour hike. I recommend taking the Carr Lake trailhead. There are a lot less ups and downs. Now for the dreaded question: Is the road to the trailhead clear? I don't know, but am losing sleep thinking about it.

I was at Penner last summer. As can be expected at those high elevations, lots of brookies. BTW, you can get the same brookies at Island Lake and it's only like a 10 minute hike from the trailhead--assuming you can get to the trailhead (snow?).

And now I'll drop a little secret: For sweet eighteen, inch by inch, follow the rainbow to throw rock, my favorite lake.

Always remember, the third word's the charm.