PDA

View Full Version : POISON OAK Alert - Del Valle

JefffromLivermore
05-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Hi Gang,

I'd like to do my part to save someone a very irritating malady.
The hills are alive with both biting ants and poison oak. I got it on my arm and on the interior of my Acura and I've spent a good deal of time wiping down the interior. I hope I got it all.
Anyway...
Good luck not catching it if you're a banker. To the boaters, watch what you tie up too.

- Jeff "Itchy in Livermore"

Fishbucket
05-22-2010, 11:51 AM
ha !.. delValle has nothing on BonTempe...Plus it has ticks. Pulled off 4 today just walking half a mile. GNappers had one stuck in his crack... at least thats what he said it was..

I didnt question it.. and now I feel itchy again... THANKS !!

JefffromLivermore
05-22-2010, 12:24 PM
A ranger said "make sure to check you nether regions" but I thought he was pulling my leg. I guess not.

CrappieJed
05-22-2010, 05:02 PM
ha !.. delValle has nothing on BonTempe...Plus it has ticks. Pulled off 4 today just walking half a mile. GNappers had one stuck in his crack... at least thats what he said it was..
I didnt question it.. and now I feel itchy again... THANKS !!
ouch....poor ol' Nappers he's going to be dragging the carpet like an old dog trying to get rid of worms...lol

I sprayed another tank load around one of my creeks today on poison oak.
2 gallons water
2 oz round-up
2 oz garland
wipes it out!!!

GNappers
05-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Joe thank you for removing that tick. I thought we weren't going to tell anyone. Tried to fish Alpine up at the Mount Tam Watershed with the bucket and since there were no maintained trails it was tough. Too much poison oak to go trecking through the woods and I found 4 ticks on myself today. Didn't find anymore after bathing with my rubber ducky. That is the crazy things about ticks and poison oak, once says someone says they have it I start itching all over. Jeff don't waste your time with those special soaps, I bought it last time and all I did was spread the poison oak all over my body, and I mean all over.

bee
05-23-2010, 09:47 AM
\ Jeff don't waste your time with those special soaps, I bought it last time and all I did was spread the poison oak all over my body, and I mean all over.

sorry to hear about your tick., that sucks. i had poison oak before and that sucks too. tried lots of stuff but cold showers and this product called Zanfel worked so good. you can buy at walgreens. my friend caught poison oak too and i told him about the Zanfel and it brought his down without any breakouts. so my recommendations is using Zanfel and after put some Calamine lotion on it. and always cold showers cause the warmer waters will open your pores and cause spreading. FYI, if you guys didnt know already. take care.

GNappers
05-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Bee thank you for the heads up. Going to buy that stuff if there is a next time. Haven't had it in months but last time I got it my face swelled up like a balloon and my eyes almost shut. Now if I see poison oak I turn around and go the other way. Luckily I did not find any in the nether regions but like I said, if someone else get's a tick then I start itching. Sometimes I just see poison oak and I have to scratch like crazy.

CrappieJed
05-24-2010, 05:47 AM
swimming pool wth chlorine is the best for poison oak....it dries it up, something we would do when deer hunting if we had a tick and it was hard to get out just take some oil off your vehicle dip stick and cover the body. the tick will suffocate and back out. I do this to gunner all the time especially when he gets a tick around the eyes.

JefffromLivermore
05-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the suggestion of Zanfel, I was prescribed prednisone and the stuff makes me crazier than I already am.
I still have the rotten poison oak and worst part is it really makes me not want to go to Del Valle. I haven't been there in over a week and I'm jonesing for the outdoors.
I have a gauze wrap on my arm covered with a ace bandage because it looks like heck.

overthehill
05-25-2010, 08:32 AM
The pre-summer fun has just begun. I don't brush bash any longer. Most people only get the rash for a couple of weeks, me I'll have it for months. I am so allergic to this stuff it is unbelievable. I have had cortisone shots when I was a kid that did nothing. Leaves of 3 leave them be is my motto. As for ticks, those dirty little vampires can really mess you up. Never had one, knock on wood and when I was younger I worked on a cattle ranch where there was both.

GNappers
05-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Went to Bon Tempe yesterday, 1 trout, 1 tick. I am starting to hate that place, it is infested with ticks. Also saw about 30 deer on the way in/out.

fishing spirit
05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Im itching just reading this. I am alergic to poison oak to the point that if I get it I turn into the elephant man...hopefully not elephant titus I have had it on every part of my body.
So straight to the hospital to get a steroid shot.
cold water never warm
chlorine in a pool when we were kids we used to take the chlorine tablets and rub them on our body
keep it in the open NOT cover it needs to dry out
anything you can get to dry it out

CrappieJed
05-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion of Zanfel, I was prescribed prednisone and the stuff makes me crazier than I already am.
I still have the rotten poison oak and worst part is it really makes me not want to go to Del Valle. I haven't been there in over a week and I'm jonesing for the outdoors.
I have a gauze wrap on my arm covered with a ace bandage because it looks like heck.
Hi Jeff...take that bandage off you have to let the rash dry out...i know what I'm talking about i have had that junk so bad i was hospitalized thats how i learned going in a pool with chlorine and let it dry out.

JefffromLivermore
05-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Good news, the Zanfel worked and it looks like I am beginning to get over it. The spreading seems to have slowed/stopped and the red welts are clearing up.
Thanks again for the hints on what to do.
I now no longer get the arm warm at all, cold washings multiple times and any time it itches just to be safe.

How is the fishing?

NorthBay Troutster
05-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Went to Bon Tempe yesterday, 1 trout, 1 tick. I am starting to hate that place, it is infested with ticks. Also saw about 30 deer on the way in/out.

Kevin I have never gotten one there are you picking them up going through the grassy meadow spot your were taking about? I just been taking the dirt trail to one of the points closer to the damn and doing pretty well. I just stay clear of the brush.

bee
05-27-2010, 05:08 PM
Good news, the Zanfel worked and it looks like I am beginning to get over it. The spreading seems to have slowed/stopped and the red welts are clearing up.
Thanks again for the hints on what to do.
I now no longer get the arm warm at all, cold washings multiple times and any time it itches just to be safe.

How is the fishing?

glad to know the Zanfel worked for you. that thing could be pricey, but it does miracles.

GNappers
05-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Mike, I never used to get them until I starting bringing my dog and letting him go through the tall grass. Then when I went to Alpine, there really aren't any maintained trails that I saw so I was in the tall grass. The other day at the meadow I was walking along the shore and brushing up against trees and bushes. My buddy and I tried the point near the tall pines at the 2nd parking area for 1 quick fish and then the meadow for nada. With you and your bro's numbers I think I am slippin for sure. Have you been back lately?

CJ thank you for the advice with the chlorine. 1 time out at the coast I was tracking around and before I knew it I was standing in poison oak with shorts and sandals. When I finally reached the salt water I scrubbed for about 10 minutes and never got any that day. I think we should close this thread and start fishing more, rain or shine.

NorthBay Troutster
05-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Kevin, Yeah I was there yesterday with my buddie and we each got limits in a couple hours and I pulled out 2 of the biggest fish I have out of there. Pushing 2 pounds a piece awesome holdovers! Theres got to be some great fish in there from some of the first plants this year. Im hunting. I found this point that drops off pretty deep and the size difference in the fish coming out right there is definitely noticeable. Im going back tomarrow around 1 or 2 for the evening bite.

Mackattack
05-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Hi Gang,

I'd like to do my part to save someone a very irritating malady.
The hills are alive with both biting ants and poison oak. I got it on my arm and on the interior of my Acura and I've spent a good deal of time wiping down the interior. I hope I got it all.
Anyway...
Good luck not catching it if you're a banker. To the boaters, watch what you tie up too.

- Jeff "Itchy in Livermore"

Thanks for the advise. I wont go back to DV till that evil weed dies at the end of summer,plus those pesckey tail rattlers come out to play!

Jake

Nick145
05-29-2010, 12:44 PM
i feel bad for you guys im immune ive literaly roled around in itand dont get it but my mom and sis get it bad so i got in a bit of trouble for that (it was a great laugh though) so calamine lotion and cold showers as mentioned also take a luke warm bath in aveeno soothing bath treatment it will help with the itch try it it works

make sure all of it has disolved in the bath water bathe for atleast 20mins+ then rinse off in a cold shower do not wash during the bath wash before in cold shower it works try it