PDA

View Full Version : Trout in the American????

nicky6chovies
05-24-2010, 08:19 PM
i was reading the sportsmans wharehouse fishing reports and it was sayin 16-20 inch trout were being caught in the American, if you have any info on that let me know where at, and what they're hitting on.

JTroutMan
05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
i was reading the sportsmans wharehouse fishing reports and it was sayin 16-20 inch trout were being caught in the American, if you have any info on that let me know where at, and what they're hitting on.

Not 100% sure, but "American" is pretty generic and I'd bet report was likely referencing the "middle" fork above Auburn, CA........the only trout on lower American near Sacto I'm familar with might be Lake Natoma.....

Talon
05-25-2010, 11:20 AM
There are a lot of trout in the upper, lower American river. Okay that's sounds confusing but what I mean is from Nimbus Dam down to Goethe Park has a lot. The best is usually above Sailor Bar to the dam. Be very careful about what you keep and have a steelhead card with you. It is really hard to tell the difference between a rainbow and a steelhead.

Fish_for_Brains
05-25-2010, 03:02 PM
how do you tell the difference?

Legalbeagle
05-25-2010, 03:34 PM
There is no difference if you're fishing below the Nimbus Dam. I asked an officer and he simply replied, "The handbook is gospel". In other words, any trout is a steelhead (you won't find anything but rainbows if you fish below Nimbus Dam). So, yeah, treat it as stealhead fishing because that's exactly how they'll treat you. My guess is the report is about the Middle Fork though. No need for a stealhead card up there. Just watch the regs.

drifli
05-25-2010, 03:43 PM
The difference is the length the fish is and weather or not it has an adipose fin .The regs define this and its easy to understand .If people have trouble finding the exact reg i will look it up and post if necessary. hope this helps

Legalbeagle
05-25-2010, 03:48 PM
whether or not they have an adipose fin, they are still steelhead. Absence of an adipose fin just means they are hatchery stealhead.

Legalbeagle
05-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Oops, sorry Drifter. Any trout greater than 16" is considered a stealhead.

drifli
05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
the fin defines if you can keep it but the length also is a factor in keeping the fish ,best to just CR in this area to play it safe .

nicky6chovies
05-29-2010, 07:05 PM
what about negro bar has anyone heard any reports of torut being caught their, if so on what?, im open to any advice