PDA

View Full Version : Quarry Lakes 5-29-10

jt2010
05-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Came out on Sunday and fished the cove from 2-4 with no luck. A guy next to me said he caught 4 over by at the peninsula and that on the way out he decided to try the cove, he too had no luck here. I headed to the peninusla with my 5 and 3 yr old ON FOOT, pushed them in a jogger/stroller. Caught a nice 2 lber, so it was worth the walk. Used rainbow powerbait and craw/anise smelly jelly per Guy's recommendation, no luck with PE/PW combo and I had 5 poles in the water. What I was really excited about was being able to catch this trout on my new reel (Stradic 2500fi). Feels great.

I was just curious. I noticed that the fish that I have been catching at Quarry for the past couple months have pink flesh. I can't recall previous Lassen fish having pink meat. Is anyone else noticing this or am I catching hold overs from the Oregon plant? I would be excited if Lassen is now offering these pink trout as they seem to taste better. I don't notice that "dirt" taste in these fish. Maybe just my imagination?

CRESTLINER 08
06-02-2010, 03:06 PM
i was there 5-31 and caught 3 one had a nice pink stripe on its side the other 2 didnt.got home and cleaned them out two white meat and 1 pink ,nice looking fish .maybe hold over not sure but very good eating the others had soft white meat,put them is the smoker.

Canoefish
06-03-2010, 04:49 PM
5 poles? Sounds a bit iffy to me. I assume you're running two rods for each of the kids and one for yourself? If so, I'd say it's not worth getting in trouble; the wrong warden probably wouldn't hesitate to cite you.

LuckyIrishFan
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
JT2010, congrats on landing some fish. Although, I do agree with Canoefish, it's not worth the fat citation from the game warden or EBayParks police. However, you are not imagining anything at all, because there is more Oregon plants...you're going to see more trout with pink meat inside. I would personally say that 80% of my trout catch have pink meat inside. And, they sure do taste a whole lot better than the white meat:). Thanks for sharing the great fishing report from Quarry with your kids, and FISH ON:grin:!!!

youngling
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Canoefish ~ if you have a 2-rod stamp and have 2 kids with you the max number of poles out in the water is 6. Each kid can fish with 2 poles each age 15 and under in CA lakes.

CRABBY
06-03-2010, 05:24 PM
Canoefish ~ if you have a 2-rod stamp and have 2 kids with you the max number of poles out in the water is 6. Each kid can fish with 2 poles each age 15 and under in CA lakes.
Yes they can if they can manage there own poles,the father CANNOT do everything for them,they MUST be capable of doing more than just touching the poles an you cannot assist them 100%,canoefish is right DFG would probably cite you,espically if you had over 5 fish.5 year old mabey 3 year old unlikely.DON

fishingguysf
06-03-2010, 09:38 PM
JT, thanks for the report on Quarry. Glad you were able to land a nice 2 pounder using the Rainbow Powerbait and Smelly Jelly Craw/Anise Scent. I found out by fishing there a lot this year that sometimes the Powerbait outfishes the Powereggs/Powerworm combo. I always try both and see which one works better. Once I find out which works better, I switch over both poles. I have not fished Quarry for a couple of weeks now. I need to get out there next week hopefully.

Fishon!!!

jt2010
06-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Yeah,

I emailed DFG to ask about how many poles were allowed for the kids. A Warden emailed me and said that kids under sixteen need no license and are allowed two poles as long as they are doing the fishing. Both my boys know how to fish so I am not worried. I also printed out his email and the page in the DFG rules and guidelines that states this and keep it with me just in case ( I always play it safe). I had 2 poles,my five year old had 2, and my 3 yr old had one. What I do for the 3 year old is to hook up some powereggs and a powerworm,help him cast out really far and hand him the pole, he fiddles with it for a long time before he reels it up completely and then we do it over again. I don't see how I can be cited for this when he's doing 95% of the fishing, the only thing I do not let him do is mess with hooks and bait, he can even cast by himself but needs help if he wants to go further. Even when I help him out his hands are on the pole, I just give him an extra force in the swing.

I had the same problem happen one time when I took my five year old out. Some guy told me that my son couldn't fish with two poles and that I had to have sepearate stringers for the fish we caught.
I wasn't sure at the time, so since I had my limit I got up and left. As soon as I took my rod holder out the dirt, this guy comes running in and sticks his in. This got me kinda suspicious since, me and my kid were the only ones catching fish on fisherman's row that day. This incident is what led me to email DFG and printout the guidebook. He is allowed 2 poles and it wasn't true about the separate stringers. I think the dude just wanted my spot!

Anyway, thanks for looking out.

youngling
06-04-2010, 02:12 PM
JT ~ great pic of your boy casting out. You taught him well! FISH ON!

CRABBY
06-04-2010, 06:28 PM
Good luck with your kids fishing an you seem to be doing a good job,pic is nice,a future Sniffer I hope.Not being part of DFG I can only offer safe advice as to there regs,as with all laws much is left up to the discretion an interpretation of the officer giving the advice or enforcing the rules,have fun an enjoy your time with your sons an take many pics.Don

jt2010
06-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Thanks,

I taught him how to cast but not that particular stance. I thought it was funny and so did Dylan (kid in the pic) when he saw his picture. He puts all his might into his casts and ends up with his leg in the air when he does this, it helps him with distance so I won't teach him different for now. He was kind of upset when his mother commented that he looked like a ballerina LOL.

CRABBY
06-05-2010, 04:32 AM
Thanks,

I taught him how to cast but not that particular stance. I thought it was funny and so did Dylan (kid in the pic) when he saw his picture. He puts all his might into his casts and ends up with his leg in the air when he does this, it helps him with distance so I won't teach him different for now. He was kind of upset when his mother commented that he looked like a ballerina LOL.

A ballerina?No way,more like a martial artist just finishing or starting a fancy move.Don

jt2010
06-06-2010, 09:43 AM
I showed him his picture that I posted and he wanted me to take it down. He was embarrassed because of the ballerina comment by his mother. I tell him, hey this guy says you look like a martial artist not a ballerina, how do you like that? He says no,
I wanna be a ninja! haha I said ok, you look like a ninja, he puts a smile on his face and he was good.

We plan on going to Quarry in the evening today. We'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.

J.T.