PDA

View Full Version : live bait size? chovies or sardines?

newtothegame
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
thinking of going out on sunday anyone have the scoop on how big the bait is? What is available right now? Chovies or Sardines? or Both?

any help would be appreciated :)

Ondabank
06-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Launched out of Berkeley on Weds and they only had anchovies. Some of them were small but there were quite a few decent size (4") ones in the mix. They didn't have sardines yet at the time.

newtothegame
06-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the reply! I just got off the phone with my uncle he is on the water in front of richmond ... small anchovies .... 2-3 bites so far no fish ...

hope it picks up out there :) .... great weather though!

shasta
06-05-2010, 11:07 AM
You going iki? Lets split a scoop..

newtothegame
06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
i will know as soon as Sher gets off work .. you know she doesnt know if she is going to go fishing tomorrow or not ... I talked to my uncle at about 11am and he had 1 striper in the box and 1 halibut .... he said he had to look all thru his bait to find anything to put on the hook .. size 1 hooks ... small ... he said he had another striper on but thinks it pulled off with such small hooks but you never know ....

i was asking him if he was going to get bait in the morning cuz i was thinking the same thing splitting a scoop ..... he got bait at richmond but he said you never know s.f. or berkeley might have bigger bait .... prob not but you never know ....

either way i am going to bring sardines/herring/froz chovies if i can find em ... that way if nothing else i can drag some bait around .....

Ill call you later

newtothegame
06-05-2010, 12:21 PM
I actually was thinking of even trying for butts/stripers when we first get in the water right there in front of richmond/red rock area and then move into SPB for stripers/sturgeon ..... depends on what bait is available .... all i know is i wanna get out on the water!

What time are you going to be out there? Where are you launching? Berkeley?

MoMoney
06-05-2010, 12:36 PM
We will be fishing out of Berkeley sunday.Will be trolling havent decided what area yet.Good luck guys!!

newtothegame
06-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Good luck Momoney! I just got the final score for my uncle ..he said finished with the 1 striper and 2 butt ... 4-5 hits no stick ..... thats all mostly in front of berkeley / richmond i think ... he will be out tomorrow too

lets get em guys ... be safe! see ya out there .... what channel you guys gonna be on? or will it be cell phone tag?

update it was 2 butts! and a couple sharks

Duckmanhoov
06-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the report..........been dead on here the last week + Going out Monday, hitting the flats and southbay. Let us know how you guys do on Sunday, thanks.

newtothegame
06-06-2010, 03:17 PM
opted not to get live bait ... heard it was a little small at richmond ..my buddy got bait at berkeley and said it was not bad sized ...dont know if both receivers get bait from same place but that was what they said....

so we chose trolling dead bait ....

long story short only 1 scratched bait and one butt to the boat prob around 10lbs or so ...it was caught on straight bait on a 3.5' leader with stinger behind a 10oz wt 25' of water by richmond ...

long time of trolling around for hardly a thing .... we then switch up for a few hrs for shark and we both caught sharks around 48" long .... nice size sharks fun fight ... one on sardine and the other on midshipmen ....

beautiful day made it worthwhile no matter what the score ...

added kicker had a couple of my friends also on the bay keepin score with me thru the day :) ....