PDA

View Full Version : Halibut in Tomales??????

bigfishbabb
03-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Does anybody know if the halibut are in Tomales Bay yet? Any info would be great.

jdecker
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
I have not heard of anyone catching any in Tomales yet, a bit early.

basil
04-02-2008, 01:07 PM
It may be a bit early, but with the light rain year we've had, SF bay has been clear early of mud and there have been early halibut, there. I don't know what the indicators are for Tomales, though. I'm thinking of giving it an early try in the next two weeks.

jdecker
04-02-2008, 06:14 PM
I would bet if you caught one of those beautiful shiners at Lawson's Landing you could tempt one to bite, give it a shot.

janbfishinfolk
04-03-2008, 10:27 AM
My firend and I slammed them there some years ago on a party boat with 8 keepers each. We gave the extras to folks who got skunked. I am surprised I dont hear more about Butts in Tomales. Non of the local sites seem to cover the bite there. Are they kkeping quiet about the fishing? Do party boats still fish the area?

jdecker
04-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I talk to someone last year and they stated they got limits in October, they seemed to run later last year. I have not personally caught any but friends have with the shiners caught at the dock for live bait.

gutslinger
04-04-2008, 08:06 AM
A big key to catching butt's in Tomales, besides the fact that the fish need to enter the bay is the water temp. Needs to be around 54-56 degrees to get the flatties to cooperate.Sometimes the bay is soo choked with baitfish, its hard to believe that they would even care about your offering.........lol.Angel sharks are fun, and they hit trolled baits just fine.Most of the flatties hang around the bar this time of year, very dangerous place, even for the seasoned guys.
gut.