PDA

View Full Version : My Lowrance HDS 7 Croaked Already!

Bait Balls
06-07-2010, 03:36 PM
After much skepticism I purchased a Lowrance HDS 7 in spite of reading numerous complaints about Lowrance's quality and customer service. I never thought I would be that guy complaining about his HDS 7 in a forum, but here I am. Well let me just share my experience and you can take it how it is. I have owned at least five Lowrance fish finder/GPS units and have been quite happy with them in the past.

At the end of last summer I purchased the unit from Fisherman's Warehouse. I mounted it inside the lockable electronics box in my Whaler. I purchased the unit based on prior good experience with Lowrance as well as pairing the unit with the broadband radar and the unit can fully integrate with my Evinrude ETEC motor as well.

Yesterday, which was going to be about my 15th day using my HDS 7. We launched the boat and I went to turn it on and it would not power up. That was weird since it worked fine the week before.
I checked all the connections, voltage, fuse and plugs and nothing looked wrong. We went fishing anyways but really would have liked to have had access to all of my stored waypoints I saved for the 20+ halibut and stripers we have caught this year. Also would have been useful to navigate through the fog we hit in the main bay yesterday.

Conclusion: It turns out after three calls to Lowrance each with 30 minute wait times they kindly took my credit card # for a $1310 deposit and sent me a new HDS 7. When I get it I am supposed to put my defective one in the box and send it back for a refund of the deposit I gave them. That I thought was excellent customer service on their part and I greatly appreciate that. Reminds me of G Loomis' warranty and one of the reason why I have 19 Loomis rods. So at least i will not go without one while it gets repaired. Now the bad thing is I will lose all my waypoints and that SUCKS! Next time I will back them up on a memory card and prevent that from ever happening again. All in all I am very disappointed that my HDS 7 already crapped out but Lowrance handled it really well so far. Hopefully my new unit will have all the bugs worked out and will provide many years of good use.

Sorry for the negative 1st post. I promise to follow up with more positive posts of all the fish we've been getting

ReelJerks
06-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Welcome to the neighborhood Bait Balls. I don't see a lot of 'negativity' in your post. What I do see is some 'disappointment' in your tone (which I do understand) and some very POSITIVE remarks pertaining to Lowrance Support, which, is very refreshing. We have all bought something just to see it fail prematurely, but I'm sure when your new unit arrives you will be quite satisfied.

Edd

Polebrother
06-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I've been out on the Delta with my new HDS 7 three times and so far so good. (Touch wood!) Still trying to figure out its capabilities and having fun doing that. I added Navionics Platinum Plus and like the detail it provides but I'm in the very early stages of trying to figure out what it can do. Upgraded my unit to 3.0 per superb guidance and sharing on this thread...thanks Skallywag.

nitty917
06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Just got my boat back, and learning the HDS-10 model.

Does your GPS take a long time to lock in?

ReelJerks
06-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Just got my boat back, and learning the HDS-10 model.

Does your GPS take a long time to lock in?

Do you mean, when you first turn it ON? When I get to the lake, one of my pre-launch duties is to turn the HDS ON. By the time I am in the water I'm locked in good.

BTW, I have a form I designed for making the HDS easier to learn & to adjust various settings while on the water. I'd share this with any HDS owner/enthusiast that asks. While it is a small file, it is too large to post here. So interested parties should PM me with an email address to send it to.

Edd

Striper72
06-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I had lots of issues with my Lowrance unit as well (not an HD model). I also had to send back the unit and they replaced it as the main circuit board was damaged. After further research I learned that marine outboard alternators are notorious for creating voltage spikes and harming sensitive electronics. If you have the fish finder wired to the main/one battery that the motor is wired to you may want to start the motor prior to powering on your fish finder. I have added a second battery, one dedicated cranking battery and one for electronics and I have not had any further issues. Just food for thought.
Striper72

nitty917
06-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Do you mean, when you first turn it ON? When I get to the lake, one of my pre-launch duties is to turn the HDS ON. By the time I am in the water I'm locked in good.

BTW, I have a form I designed for making the HDS easier to learn & to adjust various settings while on the water. I'd share this with any HDS owner/enthusiast that asks. While it is a small file, it is too large to post here. So interested parties should PM me with an email address to send it to.

Edd

ill take your offer for that, ill PM you.