PDA

View Full Version : Taking my 4yr old son fishing for the first time.. suggestions?

willy2231
06-08-2010, 01:24 PM
Hi All, I live in San Mateo and would like to take my 4 yr old son fishing for the first time at a nearby lake. Any suggestions, tips, etc..?

Hamachi_Kama
06-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Hi All, I live in San Mateo and would like to take my 4 yr old son fishing for the first time at a nearby lake. Any suggestions, tips, etc..?

If the lake holds bluegill/sunfish, target those. Super easy to catch, and alot of times they can provide the a visual element that gets the kids all worked up. Bobber rig with a sz. 6ish misquito hook topped with virtually any bait (worms, cheese corn, etc.) can do the trick.

Good on you for taking the kid out.

Fishbucket
06-08-2010, 02:55 PM
yeah, like Ham says. a bobber and a piece of worm. is great fun.

ibmw m6
06-08-2010, 06:24 PM
After you son catches hi first fish, go to the DFG website and print the you caught your first fish award. It made my son so excited. We framed it with a picture of the fish...very nice memory.

Fishbucket
06-08-2010, 07:25 PM
After you son catches hi first fish, go to the DFG website and print the you caught your first fish award. It made my son so excited. We framed it with a picture of the fish...very nice memory.

That is cool !... I didnt know they had that.

Whacked
06-08-2010, 08:30 PM
My ex had her son's first fish published in the sniffer (you know Cal is always looking for photos :) )
something like 18? years ago. She had the actual photo and the sniffer print framed.

ibmw m6
06-09-2010, 08:02 AM
Yeah the DFG award is cool, my six year old shows everyone that comes over his award and picture...it was a 18" rainbow trout. Then a week later he got a 12" bluegill. He loves fishing and is so far better than me.

H-man
06-12-2010, 06:01 AM
First - Good for you, for planning to do this.
Pre-fish the waters to increase the chances of catching. Don't guess the best thing is a good bite for a youngster to hook them into the fun of fishing. My preference was trout just because they had no spines and were easy to catch in the spring, easier to handle.

Set up the rods together the night before and practice in the yard. I showed my kids how to tie their own equipment, bait and cast. Be darn sure to let them do it, I usually left my equipment on the side or in the truck and focused on them. If they catch a fish on their own it's even better.

Have the camera ready.

Plan for a short time out, you can stay longer if they want, but don't force your kid to stay out until you catch a fish.

Take snacks, but leave the Game Boy in the car.

Have them help you clean the fish. My kids wanted to see the insides and where is the heart...etc.

Be ready to buy them their own equipment. (hot tip, buy them a set up you would want, because, there is no guarantee they will stick with fishing and if they don't guess what, you got yourself another set up)

Just remember, this is about your kid. Focus on what they want to do, don't force it. Good luck.

Consider eating the catch, of course depends upon what you catch...