PDA

View Full Version : Will a 13 foot Boston Whaler ever work as a duck boat?

Waterworks
06-09-2010, 12:51 PM
I have a white on the outside, blue on the inside Boston Whaler Sport that I would like to convert to a
duck boat. Can I ever hope to hide the colors with grass? Or do I need to paint this boat to make it work?

Thanks, Jim

Waterdog
06-11-2010, 09:12 AM
If you are going to use it as a duck boat paint it and use camo materal. If you don't cover up all the white and blue it may flair ducks. 13' boat (even a whaler) is quite small for duck hunting. When do we usually hunt ducks? - in the worst nasty windy weather imaginable. A 13' boat in good duck hunting weather would be dangerous to say the least. Unless you are hunting small ponds or wind protected sloughs I would be hesitant to waterfowl hunt in a 13' boat in duck weather.
Waterdog

Waterworks
06-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Well, actually here in Los Banos they are weather protected sloughs. The shore is not far away and the wind gets blocked by trees. This old whaler is pretty stable to walk around in since it is kind of square and flat but I have heard that painting a fiberglass boat dark green can draw too much heat from the sun in warm weather and cause problems. I suppose if a fiberglass boat is used for ducks only then it is okay. You are saying that a 13 foot boat full of decoys etc. in rough weather at Frank's Tract or open water could be tough. Thanks for telling me. I wish I could leave it white but maybe it just never should be a duck boat.

Waterdog
06-14-2010, 06:19 AM
I do use my alumaweld sometimes waterfowl hunting in the bay around Grizzly Is. and I completely cover it with camo material while hunting. It takes a lot of camo material and it is a hassle but works well when I get it set up.
Waterdog

aka Americansteel
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
is it duck season yet?:duh:

fishingfreak
06-21-2010, 08:16 AM
:krzyhunter4ez:it aint duck season yet but i get ready for the next season as soon as the season ends

Mike
10-02-2010, 07:18 AM
I see little 13' whalers all over the bay in calm and rough water so I think most conditions would not be an issue, but it depends on how well you know how to handle that hull so you need to learn how to navigate rough water before you take it out in duck weather. I have drifted the bay for divers in my Montauk with both camo netting and no camo with identical success (a few pass shot birds). The 13' hull weighs in at 450ish lbs with a motor so not too much heavier than an comprably functioning aluminum (a 13' aluminum can not compare to the 13' whaler in either capabilities or handling), but it will sit a bit deeper because of the keel so you need to keep an eye out for shallows and tides a bit more. Beaching is always aesthetically worse on glass (gelcoat finish) than aluminum, but if your hull is a beater then you might not care. I would first try the set-up without painting and see how it works, if it is do-able, then I would consider painting the hull in and out. I have seen a few of the 13's that were painted camo and they looked really slick.

DRF
10-02-2010, 10:44 AM
is it duck season yet?:duh:

qUACK qUACK:krzyhunter4ez::krzyhunter4ez:

DRF
10-02-2010, 11:24 AM
I have a white on the outside, blue on the inside Boston Whaler Sport that I would like to convert to a
duck boat. Can I ever hope to hide the colors with grass? Or do I need to paint this boat to make it work?

Thanks, Jim

13' is kinda small for franks trac on a good duck day...get used to shooting with a life jacket. Are you hunting by yourself?

I would say if it's just to get you through the season then put some money in it and try it. Camo material and grass mats are all things that can be re-used for a different boat if dressing up your whaler doesn't work out for you. I would definitely paint the boat though. If you truly enjoy hunting out of a boat, then spend the money to buy a "duck boat" or something with a strong hull. It's not fun, when it's not safe. I know of several times when I was glad I had an aluminum just for dragging my boat up and over submerged wood or other debris. Bigger the boat the harder it is to hide. Where you're going to do most of your hunting is what is really important..your not going to hunt big water with 12 decoys are you??? I take out a minimum of 75 decoys each time I hunt out of my boat and as many as 150. Get a boat that can handle all of your hunting needs not just one.

delta916
10-02-2010, 12:01 PM
qUACK qUACK:krzyhunter4ez::krzyhunter4ez:
Wabbit season

DRF
10-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Wabbit season

Sorry someone said duck season so I started shoot'n:krzyhunter4ez:

JrF:bunny: