PDA

View Full Version : My secret fishing spot

Scotthmt
06-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Hey everyone, i was going thru some old pics and i found some from my secret fishing spot. I can tell you where it is because its private property and i have consent from the owner to fish there aslong as i dont leave any trash.

It is the san leandro creek, the creek flows from Lake Chabot, in winter/rain season the dam overflows and fish get washed into the creek, when the water goes back down they get stuck there. I have fished this creek since i was 10 years old, im 24 now, right after the water goes down the fishing is really good, my personal best are a 22 and 23in rainbow out of the creek. There are a few bass, some blue gill, and some carp here. There used to be some catfish but not anymore. Heres a pic of a trout i caught a while back, the commom size trout are 8-11 inches, i c&r them all. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs412.snc3/24882_409546083687_509248687_5180678_3073928_n.jpg

I'll post more pics when i get a chance, oh yeah i had a question, sometimes trout tend to guthook themselves, what cna i do to prevent this? I dont like killing these fish, there arent a ton of them in there so icould easily kill them all and overfish it myself alone, but i want to avoid killing any of them, even though it happens sometimes despite how hard i try to keep them alive.

dilbeck
06-13-2010, 06:11 PM
I can tell you where it is because its private property and i have consent from the owner to fish there aslong as i dont leave any trash.

That is really cool that you have such awesome access. But I think you're a little naive thinking you can post info on a public site and think nobody will visit your honey hole, private property or not. I hope your right but I'm the eternal pessimist.

I'll post more pics when i get a chance, oh yeah i had a question, sometimes trout tend to guthook themselves, what cna i do to prevent this?

Don't use bait. Much less likely to happen with flies or lures.

Michael

Scotthmt
06-13-2010, 07:42 PM
I dont think im naive, the spot where i fish is in direct view of someones backyard, within 20 yards, lol, they spot me everytime im there, and theyd spot someone else if they were there aswell. Also, the way to get there is very hard to find., but it is neat. I wouldnt hesistate to take a fellow sniffer though!

Scotthmt
06-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Also, i think fish can LEARN that lures are a trap. When i go there, my first cast, 70% of the time, with a lure, is a hit/hookup, but with more and more casts the hits go down and down, til they just ignore it and dont hit it. I come back the next day with the same lure and they still ignore it for the most part, if i work it hard i may get a hit, but for the most part it goes ignored. What do other people think about fish "learning" that something is a trap?

gaffers guyjw
06-13-2010, 10:10 PM
could be San Leandro area creek runs right under main highway,forgot name , many years ago. Your right not many know this spot?? gaffers guy:vrolijk_26:

GNappers
06-14-2010, 04:31 PM
With trout you got to change up lures, tactics and depths. Try a small jig in that water, working it slow and letting it drop. I have noticed in the creeks and rivers I have fished for trout that you may catch a few fish or get a few bites with a lure but then you have to change up or move locations.

Scotthmt
06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
good idea, i'll keep that in mind.

And gaffersguy, YEP, but the part your thinking of trying to fish at, you'll have to fight the bums under the bridge.

gaffers guyjw
06-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Well it was about 40 yrs ago, thats tough to say, used to catch a few good fish though:cheers: gaffers guy

Scotthmt
06-15-2010, 10:44 AM
Its nice to know someone else fished that spot too, i have tried to the spot under the bridge before but its hard to get to. Its kind of surreal, a super urban area and there is a creek right smack dab in the middle of it.

gaffers guyjw
06-15-2010, 12:06 PM
Just glad to hear after all these years its still used! back in the day it was good fishing :trout: with out any bums. take care enjoy gaffers guy