PDA

View Full Version : Do fish "learn" your baits/lures?

Scotthmt
06-13-2010, 08:36 PM
Im wondering this, because my fishing has said yes they do learn. I have a creek i fish, and when i get there, on the first cast with a lure i almost always get a hit, but after a while the bite stops, the creek is so small they HAVE to see the lure. Then i tried it again the next day with the same lure, and still no bites. So it seems as if they 'learned'. Also, do they see a fellow fish bite a bait and start fighting for their life, does that make them not bite the same bait? i kinda think it might be. What do you think?

Mr. Striper
06-13-2010, 08:48 PM
Fish always change thier patterns as should us fishermen. And yes, I do think fish learn.

FishnBeer
06-13-2010, 09:24 PM
yep they are always changing taste and always on the move. theres stuff you can throw that will be slammin em one day and skunked the next

Fishoff
06-13-2010, 09:34 PM
For myself, if I catch a fish and it hits the hook and missed, it will not hit the same lure again for a long shot. If it is just a miss strike, it will hit the same lure again if you are patience enough and you might have to wait for it to come back.

With fish getting spooked, if they swim in a school type of a fish, if you release one, there is a chance that the one you release is the leader of the pack. A scared silly fish will run off in a different direction and the rest will follow. This is only in theory and from what I have seen thus far only.

Fish are smart and they will pick it up but give it a few days to when they are hungry again, they will strike at anything. I have done an experiment with some fish in my fish tank when I was a child. I would use a hook and worm method. Once released, for the next few days, they would not even want to touch a red worm.

Paisano
06-14-2010, 07:00 AM
I have had the same experience. I was at a lake where I could see a school of trout. I'd toss out a lure and get a fish on the first cast. Then the remaining fish would ignore that lure, and there were no more hits until I changed to a different lure.

Hey Fishoff: I thought I was the only nutjob that tested lures on my pet fish.

D_<><
06-14-2010, 07:31 AM
If I go to a restaurant and I don't like the food and service, I definitely go elsewhere to eat

shadbuster
06-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I do think fish learn, BUT once while fishing in clear water I was sight fishing for bass with a dinger worm, now it was the middle of summer and the fish were definitely not spawning, I hooked and lost the same bass three times in about 20 minutes, I believe that sometimes when you hook a fish and lose him he just thinks all the pulling your doing was his prey struggling in his mouth, so he doesn't even have a clue you were trying to catch him.

D_<><
06-14-2010, 11:04 PM
It's all about presentation. With a beat up bait, if you present it well many strikes will come. With a perfect bait but bad presentation, spooky fish will never touches it.

No matter how good the food taste if it looks nasty, I wont try it.

Fishoff
06-15-2010, 09:34 PM
I do think fish learn, BUT once while fishing in clear water I was sight fishing for bass with a dinger worm, now it was the middle of summer and the fish were definitely not spawning, I hooked and lost the same bass three times in about 20 minutes, I believe that sometimes when you hook a fish and lose him he just thinks all the pulling your doing was his prey struggling in his mouth, so he doesn't even have a clue you were trying to catch him.

There are some dumb fish out there and if evolution holds true, them dumb fish are the first to go bye bye and make way for them smarter ones.

I once caught a 5lber large mouth bass on a spinner bait with no skirt. He ate the hook and the spinner is all bent out of shape.

BeefCakeScout
06-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Yes, fish learn. there have been studies on the subject. Theory is that not only do they learn, but they may be able to communicate to newer generations. If you look at rigs that worked great years ago (IE: swimming worm rig) they eventually started to lose thunder. But with a long enough wait, often 10-20 years, they will work again. My OWN personal theory is that they are just fish and if I can present a hotwheel in the right manner they will bite. I have used cut up pieces of cloth to catch fish in a pinch.

I would guess that the middle ground is closer to the truth. Heavily pressured fish will tend to learn. Some faster than slower, depending on species.