PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at engelbright??

g-town_fisher
06-16-2010, 08:13 PM
I am going camping with the family on the 27th for 5 days and was wondering if this lake has good fishing this time of year? or any suggestions where to go where fishing is decent from a boat or shore. really like trout fishing but open to all kind.was also thinking union valley, does anyone know if gerle creek runs into there? thank you for any suggestions.

zigzag
06-17-2010, 04:36 PM
Just a couple of comments: I think Englebright Lake is boat-in-camping only, so if you have a boat that's great, if not you may be out of luck. There is a good bank fishing area by the Dam, but the last I read this Lake was 'not' on the stocking list by the DFG. DFG needs to do an enviromental report on some frog before they can re-stock, so there is fish just not as many.

Lunkerslaughter
06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Trout and smallmouth fishing I descent at englebright. Boat in camping can be difficult there because there isn't many camp spots and it's first come first serve. Last time I got out there on a Friday morning about nine( this time of year) and all the spots were all taken up, so beware. The water at englebright stays very cold because it comes out of the bottom of bullards bar.

g-town_fisher
06-17-2010, 06:35 PM
ok. thanx, and yes i do have a boat so camping should be ok being i am leaving on a sunday. i hope. but is there any suggestions on where a good place to go camping where there is decent fishing this time of year. i live in georgetown so any surrounding areas within a couple hours would be great. thanx again.

appleinorange
06-17-2010, 08:30 PM
the fishing will be alot better at Collins

g-town_fisher
06-17-2010, 08:45 PM
i was wondering about collins but thought it might be fished out by the time i go camping?

appleinorange
06-17-2010, 08:56 PM
no way, it gets some heavy stocking. use to live up there and fished it year round. fish up by the dam.

g-town_fisher
06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
i didnt think there was anymore stocking going on according to posts i have read?

DRF
06-18-2010, 06:59 AM
any suggestions.

Yeah don't go to Englebright

JrF

hotdog
06-18-2010, 08:41 AM
If you do end up at Englebright-

It has decent smallmouth fishing in the early morning. Fish small crawdad crank baits and plastics around the rock piles and brush.

It has a small population of kokes from Bullards. Fish bugs & spinners behind a dodger/sling blade in the upper end @ 20'-30'.

It has a good panfish population around the docks and buoys near the dam. Fish worms...

It has some rainbows available. Fish the upper end or troll a naked worm in the cove @ the marina.

It has some huge catfish. I've caught them off of the camping beaches @ night with fresh chicken liver.

WARNING- the lake level fluctuates. Many boats have floated away at night because they were just pulled up on shore & others have been left high and dry, which really sucks when you're dealing with a houseboat.

My humble opinionsss

DRF
06-19-2010, 09:19 PM
What hotdog said is dead on.

I fished it last weekend and had a lot of trouble dealing with debris while I was trolling.. It's a great lake and if you go report back on how you do.

JrF

stagger_lee
06-20-2010, 04:55 PM
If you live in the Georgetown area , I think you would be better off at Stumpy, Ice House,
Union Valley or Loon...........Thats just my opinion...............

g-town_fisher
06-21-2010, 07:01 PM
I have been fishing stumpy for 25 yrs. and want a break from there ( even though it is a very beautiful place and pulled out some very healthy browns including a 6 pounder a week ago). im really thinking union after i read an earlier post.i heard they have some good size mackinaw in there too?? how would you go about fishing for these?i heard they are pretty deep but i do have downriggers. is it the same setup as trout? i know. i have lived in georgetown for 30 yrs. and only been to union twice in my life( each time got skunked). thanx for any input. also like to creek fish, does any one know if there is good creek fishing in this area. ( really want to teach my daughters what this is like). so i guess i need to change the topic to "fishing union valley" huh?. but still looking for input on others too.thank you.

trk12fire
06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Went to Englebright last week. There was a lot of debris and logs in the lake. It made it almost impossible to fish. It's a beutiful lake, but if you want to catch fish, don't go. Collins is a great fishing lake and there is a lot of big bows being pulled out of there. The lake gets stocked every other week.

g-town_fisher
06-24-2010, 06:05 PM
well we got a camp spot on collins on mon. through friday. not to happy about the $49 a night camp fee to camp near the water though. oh well. i will post a report on how we did on saturday. what works well for trout out there?