PDA

View Full Version : Hunting X Zones ....

jasonhew77
06-23-2010, 07:37 AM
I have been hunting the C Zones for the last 7-8 years, and now that the zone has gone to a premium draw zone, we all went in as a party and we got drawn for X-4. Planning quite a few scouting trips up there, but I was wondering if anyone has any helpful information? Ever hunted there? Where to even start ....

Thanks guys....

chrism
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Jason, I've hunted X-4 many times and had pretty good success. I can certainly get you started on a number of good areas to begin your scouting in. I don't know where you are staying but Spaulding (on Eagle lake) is a great place. Lots of rental units there and you'll see tons of big bucks right in town, more as the season goes on (they're smart that way). Rentals:
http://www.eaglelakeheritage.com/
Lots of campgrounds around. By the way the fishing at Eagle is spectacular that time of year (top line trolling threaded nightcrawlers 100 yds back)
At any rate, the lava flats between Spaulding and A1 (eagle lake rd) give up a bunch of bucks the first few days.
The area that burned about 20 years ago, between the bottom of Eagle lake and Susanville East of A-1. Lots of roads and best accessed around the summit about 12 miles N of susanville on A-1.
32N02 West off A-1 (especially the first few miles including up to and inclusive of the Fire lookout Rd.
You can access good roads that will take you all the way back to A-1 just below the lookout.
Going north on A-1 (from Spaulding)there are a number of good areas off Champs flat Rd. which comes off A-1 right at the top of the lake. The long steep ridge just east of the rd can be a good downhill hunt if you have a second vehicle at the end.
You will find hunting pressure almost non existent after opening weekend.

I think Mon night there is a pot luck at the VFW in Spaulding. Other than that, there is a nice dinner place open every night about 10Mi N of spaulding off A-1 at the north end of the lake.

Good luck, Chris