PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz Pier areas to spot fish

CMP
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Hi All..new here so cut me some slack:animal-smiley-013:. I rented out a boat of Santa Cruz Pier two Sundays ago(first time out there fishing). I am not new to SC (went to college there), but never got around to fishing in that area. Not being fully sure where to go I just went out approximately a quarter mile from pier and sort of drifted with the current (sort of towards Capitola). I apparently hit some drop offs/reefs and ended up with 4 nice sized cod, a 31" halibut (weighed more then 15lbs so it was a chunky one), and an undersized ling (almost made it by a inch). Overall it was a great experience and I was suprised as I was using very old frozen sardines obtained cheaply from the Lions Market, but a lot of the other boaters said I would have had better luck by fishing near the reefs. I told them all that sounded great, but never got around to asking them where the reefs were located (apparently they are pretty close in and not too far from the pier). Do any of you guys/gals know approximately where the "good spots" are or where there are reefs located around the SC Pier? Are they marked (buoys)? Thanks for any information...I plan to take my son (it is going to be his first saltwater fishing experience at age 9 as he is only use to trout fishing/panfish fishing with me so far..after seeing the halibut he wants to give it a try:).

GOT2FISH510
06-23-2010, 09:31 PM
That's pretty good for fishing first time out there. May I ask how many people can fish on that boat comfortably. I too plan on renting one of those boat for some rock/ling cod action some time soon. But very cautions because I never actually drove a boat my self. How the boat like?

CMP
06-24-2010, 07:11 AM
That's pretty good for fishing first time out there. May I ask how many people can fish on that boat comfortably. I too plan on renting one of those boat for some rock/ling cod action some time soon. But very cautions because I never actually drove a boat my self. How the boat like?

Hi GOT2FISH510,

I'd say 3 max adults for it to be comfortable. You can probably have a fourth person, but if you catch a halibut or something big you are going to need a spot on the boat for it to flop around until you subdue it. A fourth person might be in the way a bit:fish_jumps:. The boat has a basic small gas powered motor (8hp or so?.Not sure?), but it gets the job done as you don't want to go that far anyway (3 miles max on gas I believe). It is a pull start with reverse/neutral/forward tab (you want to always start in neutral), so it is pretty basic and you should be able to operate it with no problem. Just make sure you have your lifejackets on..I usually always give the right of way to other boats so that makes life easier and keeps me out of trouble. Also be weary of the stuff floating out there (kelp) as that can get into the propeller and it is a pain in the butt to raise the motor up and clear it away.