PDA

View Full Version : Camping week in Bass Lake need some camp food ideas!

Aquaman1973
06-24-2010, 11:12 PM
I might be in the wrong place, but any help would be mucho help. THANKS

Fishbucket
06-25-2010, 06:31 AM
One of my favs is to dry rub some racks of ribs. (the Swift Brand from Lake Costco work great) and Slow cook over the open fire. and I do mean slow. like take a couple hours.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/theotherbigjoe/Collins%20Lake/CollinsLakeFathersDay2009022.jpg

for the morning it's chorizo and eggs and tortillas.

Toxic_Waste
06-25-2010, 09:24 PM
I like to cook potatoes, bacon and onions in foil on the camp grill.

Hobo Potatoes

5 medium potatoes (wash, but do not peel)
1 large onion (chopped)
4 slices bacon, raw
salt and pepper
garlic, if desired (chopped)
2 Tbsp butter or 1 Tbsp olive oil

Directions

You will need a large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil, or double the normal foil. Put the bacon slices side-by-side in the center of the aluminum foil. Cut the potatoes into cubes (1/2 to 3/4 inch square) and put on top of the bacon. Top potatoes with onion and seasonings. Dab with cut up butter, or drizzle olive oil over the top. Fold aluminum foil and seal all edges. Place on pre-heated gas or charcoal grill for 30-40 minutes. Cut foil open across the top (watch out for hot steam). Serves 2-4. A great companion to steak, burgers, pork chops, chicken, you name it!

Toxic_Waste
06-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Biscuit-on-a-Stick
(Not to be confused with that delicacy, "Gopher-on-a-Stick!")
1 can refrigerated biscuits, any kind
1 container squeeze butter
Greenwood sticks (watch for poison oak ones!)

1. Roll out each biscuit with your hands into a rope about 1-inch thick at the center. Wrap them tightly around the sticks, pinching as you go so biscuits will adhere while cooking. Biscuits should take over about 6 inches of the stick length.
2. Cook over a campfire until golden brown, turning occasionally. Remove from stick and pour some butter into the hole before eating.

Pineapple Upside-down Cake
From a scout troop in Covina.
12 unfrosted cake doughnuts
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 1/4 sticks butter, softened
12 pineapple rings

1. Slather butter on doughnuts; pack on brown sugar and add a pineapple ring to the top.
2. Wrap each doughnut mixture with foil and seal tightly. Cook over coals about 5 minutes.

No Peeky Chicken
The packets can be prepared ahead of time and placed in an ice chest.
2 cups Minute Rice
1 can condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
2 large, boneless chicken breasts
4 8-inch by 10-inch pieces of heavy-duty foil

1. Mix rice, soup and water together. Lay out two pieces of foil for each packet and pour half of soup mixture onto each packet. You can cut chicken into strips or put whole breast on top of soup mixture. Onions can be added for flavor, if desired.
2. Pull up edges of foil and roll them closed, then tuck ends under. Place foil packs in campfire coals for 15 minutes on each side. Remove from coals, open and eat.

Boatin' Hillbilly Trash Breakfast
1 bag shredded hash brown potatoes
6 eggs, beaten
1 pound sausage or ham, cooked
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
Seasoned salt and pepper to taste
Red, yellow or green bell peppers, optional
Foil cooking bag
Butter

1. Take the aluminum foil cooking bag coated with cooking spray, sprinkled with seasoned salt, and place a few pats of butter inside. Open the bag of hash browns and pour all ingredients into it; mix by squeezing.
2. Pour mixture into the foil cooking bag and spread it out. Add more salt and some pepper and a bit more butter on top of the hash brown mixture Place sealed bag on preheated grill (medium heat) and turn about every 5 minutes until eggs are set. The bag will start to puff and you can open it to check for doneness. (Beware of steam.) Makes 6 servings.

CrappieJed
06-26-2010, 01:19 PM
One of my favs is to dry rub some racks of ribs. (the Swift Brand from Lake Costco work great) and Slow cook over the open fire. and I do mean slow. like take a couple hours.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y293/theotherbigjoe/Collins%20Lake/CollinsLakeFathersDay2009022.jpg

for the morning it's chorizo and eggs and tortillas.
FB your ribs at the Collins feast.....errr fest was amazing best i ever had and tender needed no sauce at all. at first i thought i wish i had some bullseye to dip the ribs in...but when i tasted them, sauce would have ruined the ribs....have you ever used Pappys for a rub I have tons of that stuff they make it not so far from me and Lineside.....i dont go to Costco i should i guess for that rub.

CrappieJed
06-26-2010, 01:22 PM
I might be in the wrong place, but any help would be mucho help. THANKS
what week you be at Bass lake...and welcome to the fishsniffer i assume your new i believe you have 1 post?

CJ

Fishbucket
06-26-2010, 01:32 PM
i dont go to Costco i should i guess for that rub.

You wont get that rub from Costco :p
Thats born right here in Petaluma.

Thanks for the compliment.:thumbsup:

Aquaman1973
06-27-2010, 11:04 PM
To all how have responded.

Thank you to all! This being my first time posting, i really appreciate all the ideas. We will be in Bass Lake on Friday for the holiday weekend. I have planned to practice the ideas given and try once again to fish the lake for some koko's, brownies and some crawdad's! Again, thanks to all!http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon7.png

Toxic_Waste
06-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Ohhhhh, I know you and your family will have a great time there no matter what, but I don't think 4th of July will be a very good time for fishing at Bass Lake (if you mean the one in Eastern Madera County). It is the time when there are more speedboats and skiers on the lake than any other time of year. Maybe you meant a different Bass Lake? I think there's more than one.

CrappieJed
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
No kidding there TW just got back from camping Bass lake wishon point...i didn't even think of taking the boat.....nothing like sitting in camp 5:30a having a cup of Jo with the war department and this speed boat comes screaming down the lake at 100+ that boat sounded like 30 Harley's at the same time...that should be out lawed. There probably isnt a more beautiful or even a better fishing lake then Bass lake, but man your right, summer time and the 4th stay away or fish at night

CrappieJed
07-01-2010, 03:46 PM
oh almost forgot....did the Fishbucket ribs, had no Petaluma rub but pappy's worked fine BBQ them slow and yahoo mountain dew they were good...not in FB category but they were good.

Toxic_Waste
07-01-2010, 08:07 PM
I only go in the winter, spring and fall. In the summer, it's way too crowded for me.

Toxic_Waste
07-08-2010, 10:59 AM
Hey Aquaman, I'm just curious -- how was your camping trip at Bass Lake? Did you get a chance to do any fishing? Hope everything worked out fine.

Fishbucket
07-08-2010, 11:17 AM
had no Petaluma rub .

We'll have to rectify that. !:superhero5yh:

Aquaman1973
07-13-2010, 11:49 PM
The camping trip was awesome. No fishing the water was too chopy, way to many boats on the water. Thanks to all for the help. :)

Toxic_Waste
07-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed the camping trip, even if you didn't get to fish. It's a pretty lake.

CrappieJed
07-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Glad to hear you enjoyed the camping trip, even if you didn't get to fish. It's a pretty lake.
it really is a beautiful lake kind of reminds me of Collins but with a million dollar face lift..and trillion ponderosa pines.lucky to have the lake so close to home....sat after a bit of crappie fishing and after Okie, Lineside and I gorge on SHRIMP ribs meatballs and fried chicken I'm going to take Okie up to the lake buy him a ice cream let him check out bass Lake...let Okie check out the village and its rich history.

CJ

Toxic_Waste
07-17-2010, 05:42 PM
SHRIMP ribs meatballs and fried chicken

Hahaha -- you think you've got enough food there?