PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Near Sea Ranch?

SuperDave
03-10-2008, 01:53 PM
The wife and I with some other couples are headed up to Sea Ranch for a weekend retreat. I wondered if there was any fishing available close to Sea Ranch or Gualala. Preferably guided or charter.

Thanks,

Dave

Fish_Onboard
03-11-2008, 04:47 AM
I believe that charter boats run out of Pt. Arena. *

good luck,
Lonnie

chicofishrmen
03-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Dave,

It's been a while since I've been to the Ranch, but I used to fish from the shore and get rockfish. Use a sandbag as a sinker, and a hunk of squid and you're good to go. As far as getting a charter not much is open and what is open isn't very good, I have yet to hear any salmon caught out of Ft. Bragg.

Fish_R_Us
03-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Are you going to be staying inside of the Sea Ranch Community? If you are, then you have unlimited access of all of the local coastal areas and might as well enjoy your access rights. My friend's parents purchased a plot of land (for their retirement property) which gave us access to some of the best (and most hazardous) diving areas between Salt Point and the Red Barn. We use to frequent the northern part of the Sea Ranch community. There is a cove named Ocean Cove and was the third cove area south of the north property line. One side of the cove is a calm area where diving and fishing is good. The other side is the north facing side and is one of the most wickedist places to dive. The surge and the turbidity combined made it visibility so low that most of the time you couldn't see over 1 foot. We called that place the "Washing Machine" because it was rough 95% of the time. The only time it opened up was usually the last 2 weeks of August, where the ocean is famous for FAC conditions. At that time is where you can explore the tunnels and caves and get a chance of getting 10" abs. But if you are going rockfishing from the shore, the place offers multiple places to fish without having to look for a better place. We know that area real good. I almost drowned there, and that was during excellent ocean conditions. I posted that experience here, a long time ago.

Martinez Frank
03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Dave, I don't know if the season is open but the Gualala river is good fishing for steelhead

keelhaulinrob
03-11-2008, 08:30 PM
yea the rocks of sea ranch is productive use the sand bag for the weitght so you dont waste money on lead and you might catch a few if their was a map of sea ranch id show you a place were ive got tons of fsih. Its towards the middle and theirs a jetty that runs south that protects this cove and on high tide its a small beach, but their is a stair case down, parking is hard to find by it so you have to park and walk ill look at a map and let you know, but i went down their and everyone didn't wanna go cuz they didn't think id catch anything and i brought back a cab, and 2 rock fish. not bad and another time i caught a smalll ling, and cab on abalone guts.