PDA

View Full Version : Who's Deer Hunting Where and When?

Cal.Kellogg
07-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Who's going deer hunting this year? Where and when are you going?

I'm going to be hunting parts of the Tahoe and Eldorado National Forest close to my Auburn home...I won't get serious until the second half of the season. We had great weather last year with some rain and snow. It made for productive hunting despite the low deer numbers in the areas I hunt. I actually got a buck and missed another. If my shooting had been better I could have filled both my tags.

This year I'm once again looking for a buck and a bear or a pair of bucks....I've found some monster sheds in the areas I hunt, so if I can score a meat buck early, I might hold out for a big boy with my second tag....

CaL

Big Jerm
07-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Not sure about this year...we hunted B (back behind Ruth) for the first time last year and came up empty handed, BUT it looked so promising and I've heard/read nothing but good things. We hunted the 2nd to last weekend of the season and ran in to two guys that had been back in that country since bow season and one of the guys scored big time in bow AND rifle (was carrying his digital camera & did a little show & tell) seasons. Any way, either we're going back there or we're trying D5. I know it's can be a madhouse, but I've seen some big bucks come out of there.

Striper_Killer, sounds like the choice would be obvious for you...=)

OP

DUNNIGAN JIM
07-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I'll be hunting the d3-5 zones . Most likely be up nr Icehouse 2 nd weekend . If the hunting is bad I'll go fishing. We have had good luck in that area the last few years with at least 2 bucks taken each year. There are 4 to 6 of use that enjoy the hunting and fishing there.

outdoordude
07-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I got a call from a friend that has access to real nice prop in vacaville the owner said he's been seeing three or four big bucks in the pasture by the cows one 5x4, 4x4 and a 3x. hunted turkey archery and pigs so we may go this weekend have a good idea where they enter same place as the turkeys. then maybe a B trip (missed a dandy 4x3 last year) and then off to Oregon for archery elk missed a big cow last year. it was a unlucky year, can only get better this year. I'm 2 for three on the spring turkeys this year with my PB
10 7/8in 20lbs 1 1/8 spurs. the bow is dialed and gear is getting the once over. good luck to all!!

activeic
07-06-2010, 05:48 PM
I have two junior hunters with c zone tags any advise on guides in
the area?

thanks in advance
michael

smithstation
07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Got my D6 and AO tag. I fenced 650 acres this spring and have the hunting rights to it for 5 years. Saw a nice 4x4 there last year that would go 26+ in. He should be better this year with all the late rain. The property has 2 year round ponds and is loaded with bucks. I am expecting great things although I paid dearly for the access. Also got the old stand by apple orchard for the meat buck and a few other private places.

If you are a serious deer hunter I am telling you that free labor for the local ranchers will help you gain access. I have put in my time and effort and it has paid off well.

Good luck to all this year!!

tt31
07-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Who's going deer hunting this year? Where and when are you going?

I'm going to be hunting parts of the Tahoe and Eldorado National Forest close to my Auburn home...I won't get serious until the second half of the season. We had great weather last year with some rain and snow. It made for productive hunting despite the low deer numbers in the areas I hunt. I actually got a buck and missed another. If my shooting had been better I could have filled both my tags.

This year I'm once again looking for a buck and a bear or a pair of bucks....I've found some monster sheds in the areas I hunt, so if I can score a meat buck early, I might hold out for a big boy with my second tag....

CaL

I used to work on a ranch in Auburn, some of the biggest bucks in the state live in that area. I am hunting A zone starting on Saturday. I have a large buck patrerned and hopfully first thing Saturday morning I'll have some wood flying his way. I also have an X12 tag and I am hunting the last two weeks of the season up there.

smithstation
07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
tt31,
Its Sunday..... Do we have a BBD (big buck down)??? Good luck, I hope you stuck him!!!

tt31
07-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Shot over his back at 65 yards. Should have used the 60 yard pin instead of the 80, but he came in from a different place then usual and I didn't have time to range him.. That's why they call it hunting.

Hof
07-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I'll be sticking with A and B this year. I hunt A zone in the cache creek wildlife area off of 16 and B zone near snow mountain up past stonyford. Will probabily hunt more B this year than A due to time. Dunnigan Jim, good luck near Ice house. I used to hunt near wrights lake quite a bit. we never pulled anything big out of there but got our share of bucks.

Hof

trout wrangler
07-14-2010, 12:28 AM
I will be hunting B zone above Covelo, we've got good bucks there in the past. The last couple years its been tough though. Two of my hunting partners drew a X3A tag for archery so I will be a extra pair of eyes with them. My son will be hunting with me for the first time this year he drew a Blue canyon either sex tag. I guess I will also get a D3-5 tag to hunt with him. I will be going up to Jackson Meadows for the opening of archery. Good luck to everyone

fishfetcher
07-14-2010, 03:38 PM
If you are a serious deer hunter I am telling you that free labor for the local ranchers will help you gain access. I have put in my time and effort and it has paid off well.

Could you go into a little more detail about this? I have no problem doing work in return for hunting rights, I just wouldn't know where to begin looking to find a farmer that wants some work done. Any advice on finding these properties?

tt31
07-15-2010, 06:03 AM
It is harder if you dont know any ranchers.

DUNNIGAN JIM
07-15-2010, 06:14 PM
THNX HOF We have hunted nr Wrights lake also .One of the younger rookies that hunt with us got a real nice 3x3 there 2 yrs ago, his first buck. We're hoping for some snow later in the season ,seem to do a lot better in that area w/a couple inches of the white stuff.. Good luck in your b zone hunt . I haven't been up the way for some time now do to all the people hunting there. Use to be great during bow season, mavbe I'll try it out again cause it is alot closer .

bigb08
07-22-2010, 08:23 PM
1445D6 and hope for something bigger than this......scouting not lookin to promissing though , been movin the cam around with nothing to positive . Hopefully putting in my work will pay off in the long run

fritzw75
07-25-2010, 07:46 PM
Has anyone ever boated across Caples lake for opening day of rifle season? I hunted across highway 88 from the lake about 5 yrs ago and we saw 3 bucks running together and one was a mulie. We could not get a shot off as they were in a trot near brush. Earlier that morning my partner got a quick shot off and missed a buck up high in that area. We hiked back to the camping area where we had parked our ATVs and as we were leaving we noticed two nice bucks hanging in a camp and the guy told us he boated across Caples and they scored these nice bucks. Its the only way to get to that land for us hunters. I want to try it this year. The deer should be moving up into that high country anytime now.

smithstation
07-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Could you go into a little more detail about this? I have no problem doing work in return for hunting rights, I just wouldn't know where to begin looking to find a farmer that wants some work done. Any advice on finding these properties?

Hope the info helped. Good luck!!

gametracker
07-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Will be hunting D3-D5 , this will be my first season with Archery equip. Will hunt the same zone as well during rifle season. Have seen lots of bear sign and had one visual on a cinnamon colored bear a few weeks ago near where my stand is located.

viper2
08-16-2010, 10:37 AM
My son and I drew X3B tags east of Alturas.

I hired a local guide that my brother used a couple of years ago. My brother took a nice 4 point. We hope to do the same.

We will also hunt D3-5 up by Tahoe.