PDA

View Full Version : What kind of dough or dip bait works for you?

Shark bait
07-07-2010, 12:05 PM
I have never used any type of dough or dip bait for catfish because i have always used clams BTW i fish the delta for cats. Any recommendations? Thanks

ioski65
07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Newbie here, so don't know how kosher this is because this is a link to another fishing forum but here's an article by a friend of a friend about dough balls and catching carp, catfish, etc....

http://www.imhooked.com/cmsnav/magazineindexDetail.php?Fishing-with-Explosives-Using-the-Bread-Bomb-to-Catch-Carp-and-Other-Species-17

BIG_ONE
07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Crawdad will beat every single catfish bait you want to think of. But if your talking about dough personally, I like G&S Cheese. They have a strong smell indeed, but it works great for me!
:ts6rp:

Bigg A
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
G&S, secret 7 and danny kings punch bait are top producers for me when I want a quick bite.

knotgillty
07-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Crawdad will beat every single catfish bait you want to think of.

I'm not so sure there is a single best cat bait. By the way, cutbait outfished my partners crawdads by a 10 to 1 margin on a recent trip. We landed 20 cats in the 5 to 12 pound range last week, but only two came on crawdads. You can find the report elsewhere in this forum.

Anyway, my vote goes for the Secret 7 dough/stink bait. Worked well for me a few summers back when I used a tub of it.

Shark bait
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks a lot guys I'll look into that secret 7 dough bait.

N.O Xpl()de
07-07-2010, 07:38 PM
I have never use dip bait before. So say if my bait of choice is shrimp for catfish. i just dip the bait in secret 7 and cast it out or do I need a dip tube as well?

Bigg A
07-07-2010, 10:29 PM
It wouldnt hurt to try it but if you order the 7 u might as well get the tubes for it. Never have too much luck with shrimp for cats unless I take my son to the stocked ponds.

Bigg A
07-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Crawdad will beat every single catfish bait you want to think of. But if your talking about dough personally, I like G&S Cheese. They have a strong smell indeed, but it works great for me!
:ts6rp:

Thats not true..... there are way better baits besides crayfish that will put monsters on a stringer!!!

trebleface
07-07-2010, 11:31 PM
Cutbait and crawdads in the delta. Here in eastbay lakes planted cats kill on Secret 7 and G&S mixed with liver cod oil. Heres your proof 18+lbs last night in 3 hrs

BIG_ONE
07-08-2010, 02:23 AM
Is it really not the best bait? Live crawdad? Live juvenile crawdad that the shell are still very mushy and soft? The quality of the crawdad will make a big difference between just using any crawdads as bait. Crawdad won't be too promising if its an old crawdad, or one that the shell is really tough. They tend to ignore it and want something that would make an easier meal.
I don't know how your guys experience are with crawdads, but crawdads never failed me. I usually out fish my fishing buddies or people who fish around me at least 5-1 with the right quality of crawdads. How can they tell what kind of quality is the crawdad? Well, it's like us knowing certain people age just by looking at them.
:signfishon34hi6zv:

SuckerPunch
07-08-2010, 08:31 AM
For me, a natural bait of some kind always outfishes any of the artifical stuff such as paste or punch baits. As a result, I now exclusively fish with natural baits, and when it comes to channels, my experince has been similar to Knotgillty's: cut-bait of some sort usually produces best, although the type of cut-bait that really works varies. For instance, some days mackerel outfishes everything else. Other days, it's threadfin shad. Still other days, carp. Crawdads occasionally produce well, although their effectiveness seems limited to certain habitat types (e.g., riprap) and to certain times of year (e.g., mid-summer, when most of the 'dads are about 2-3 inches, or during molts). I should mention that I only fish for wild-spawned channels; if I were to go after stocked fish, I'd happily and confidently throw an artificial bait.

As for the Delta, I think the kind of bait you use depends on the species of catfish you want to catch. White cats are the most abundant species in the Delta, and they mainly feed on small crustaceans such as scuds. Consequently, something that looks and tastes like scuds will usually get you plenty of fish - shrimp or real small crawdads, for example, are fine baits. However, other invertebrates work, too - I've rocked the white cats with nightcrawlers floated up about six inches off the bottom. The only problem with 'crawlers is that everything else will eat 'em, too. Also, if you're after white cats, you generally want to downsize in your tackle - 3/0 hooks for channels are usually way, way too big for white cats. (I usually use about a size 6 baitholder for whites.) If you're after channels, which get much bigger than white cats, they mainly eat fish and, yes, to a lesser extent, crawdads. As a result, that's when you bust out the big cut-bait, the big rods, and the big hooks, especially since channels in the Delta like to hold in faster water.

The one thing I wouldn't fish in the Delta would be an artificial bait of some kind. Additionally, just because a bait might smell really, really rank in air doesn't mean that its scent will travel well in water. Not only that, but just because something smells bad to people doesn't mean that it'll smell good to the cats.

BIG_ONE
07-08-2010, 10:41 AM
You should try grasshopper. Some old folk fisherman swear by grasshopper. Caught a few fish on it, but I don't use grasshopper very often so I don't know how good are they. :lolk:

Bigg A
07-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Is it really not the best bait? Live crawdad? Live juvenile crawdad that the shell are still very mushy and soft? The quality of the crawdad will make a big difference between just using any crawdads as bait. Crawdad won't be too promising if its an old crawdad, or one that the shell is really tough. They tend to ignore it and want something that would make an easier meal.
I don't know how your guys experience are with crawdads, but crawdads never failed me. I usually out fish my fishing buddies or people who fish around me at least 5-1 with the right quality of crawdads. How can they tell what kind of quality is the crawdad? Well, it's like us knowing certain people age just by looking at them.
:signfishon34hi6zv:

It has its time and place but during the summer months and fall when I like to fish for them, I'm a natural cut bait fisherman.

Bigg A
07-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Additionally, just because a bait might smell really, really rank in air doesn't mean that its scent will travel well in water. Not only that, but just because something smells bad to people doesn't mean that it'll smell good to the cats.

Hmmm? I've used a few artificial baits and have come to a conclusion.... scent + current = catfish!!! I watched an old man in woodland put the smackdown on some channels using a dip bait. Not my favorite thing to use but they do work!!! Like I stated b4....secret 7, G&S and danny kings punch bait works. :dancingorange:

catstallker
07-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Secret 7
Sudden Impact
Danny Kings
Sonnies

Bigg A
07-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Secret 7
Sudden Impact
Danny Kings
Sonnies

Thats the one I was trying to remember..... thats what the old man was killing them on. My dads friend uses that and swears by it.

N.O Xpl()de
07-08-2010, 04:40 PM
this dip bait scent that everyone is talking about. we still need to use bait correct? ex. crawdad, shrimps, etc. so does it matter what kind of bait you use if its going to be dip into secret 7? just curious cause i have never used dip bait before and how effective it is.

Bigg A
07-08-2010, 11:41 PM
this dip bait scent that everyone is talking about. we still need to use bait correct? ex. crawdad, shrimps, etc. so does it matter what kind of bait you use if its going to be dip into secret 7? just curious cause i have never used dip bait before and how effective it is.

Dip baits are usually used with tubes but you can dip your bait in them if you choose to do so. Secret 7 has its own tubes and I would recommend using theres as they are a little harder than the tubes you can buy at walmart. Punch baits can be used by sticking a treble hook in it and pull out slowly at an angle.

dizzle1
07-08-2010, 11:49 PM
secret 7 is the way to go havent really used it around here but the couple times i have its gotten bit

N.O Xpl()de
07-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Dip baits are usually used with tubes but you can dip your bait in them if you choose to do so. Secret 7 has its own tubes and I would recommend using theres as they are a little harder than the tubes you can buy at walmart. Punch baits can be used by sticking a treble hook in it and pull out slowly at an angle.

Thanks for the info. I'll get some secret 7 with tubes and give it a try. I guess there's a first time for everything. I will post a report the next time i head out to clear lake. hate the long distance driving.

Bigg A
07-09-2010, 10:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll get some secret 7 with tubes and give it a try. I guess there's a first time for everything. I will post a report the next time i head out to clear lake. hate the long distance driving.

No need to head way out to clear lake when there's big cats right in your back yard.....:party-smiley-048: