PDA

View Full Version : Pine Flat Noob

ztechz
07-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Hello all, I am new here (been a reading for a while, just nothing to post). I have always wanted to learn how to troll for trout and finally purchased a boat (2003 Lund Fisherman with 2 electric downriggers) on Monday. I am going to head to the lake tomorrow and would like any input you can give me to be successful. Are any of you going to be there? I went to Valley Rod and Gun and talked to a few guys there and purchased a few setups and am excited to head out.

Someone mentioned that I might not want to use the marina ramp because it is too busy, what ramp should I use?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Slapabow
07-08-2010, 07:02 PM
#1 use the 3rd ramp it's called Benson's now but i still call it Lombardos.
#2 Snooze you loose on the parking right now. get there @ 5am.
#3 Bows are still scary shallow. Surface yes surface to 35' deep. Early.
#4 Troll from ramp down to DeerCreek ramp.
#5 post with pics when you get back.

Kevin

ztechz
07-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks for your reply. Wow 5 am to get a parking spot....
I will post what happens when I get back.

ReelJerks
07-09-2010, 05:09 AM
Keep 'em on ICE.

And watch out for SNAKES if you step off onto dry ground.

ztechz
07-09-2010, 12:20 PM
OK, here is what I did, and the results that I got:
Arrived at 5:30 at the Island Park ramp and had plenty of parking
Headed to the windy gap area and trolled for about 45 min. with no luck
Changed to the power line area on the opposite side of the lake from the dock and trolled to the rock wall and back.
Landed one fish (small mouth bass ... ???)
Headed out towards the docks and no luck
Headed to the damn with no luck
Back at the ramp at 1145 and went home

I trolled at about 2 MPH in water about 100 feet deep. One of the rigs was set to 20 feet and the other at 10 using a slim blade and black/white needlefish.

I didn't see many other fishermen trolling, so I still feel like I don't know what I am doing.

It's kinda like driving around a city looking for a business that you don't know the address for.

Looking to learn and would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me.

I think I am going to head out again Sunday morning and see if I can learn a bit more.

tinytrout
07-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Thats why they call it fishin and not catchin. Just keep at it, read articles and books, talk to other fishermen. You will learn. And you will have youre glory days.

ztechz
07-10-2010, 10:50 AM
True, True. I have no problem putting in my dues and look forward to learning a lot about the lake and the trends of the seasons.

Lunkerslaughter
07-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Try slowing the troll down

ztechz
07-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot tomorrow and see if somewhere around 1.5 MPH might do the trick.

I will take a look at the action of the dodger and needlefish at that speed and see what it looks like and let it go.

I am hoping to do better because I am taking my 6 year old out there tomorrow and want her to land some fish. That could be the "hook" to make her interested.

Thanks again for your input.

Slapabow
07-10-2010, 07:23 PM
If you get desperate.........
Chrome green sling blade with a worm @ 1.5 mph.
Watermelon is always a good choice.
Troll as soon as you leave the ramp and hang a right.

rk2fish
07-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Or a red prism silver sep's dodger with a worm always does it for me.

ztechz
07-11-2010, 04:17 PM
Tried all the suggestions and did not even catch one! :angry:

That makes 3 times out and no trout at all.

I trolled at 1.5 MPH for a while, move to 2 then 2.5 at depths from 15 to 25 feet.

Trolled around the power lines and from the docks.

It is now frustrating and I wish I knew what to do to learn more.

I might have to try and find someone who actually knows what they are doing and plead for a ride or ask them if I can follow them around the lake and learn what they are doing.

Slapabow
07-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Settle down there Noobie.
You have picked about the worst time to start trolling for bows here.
They are confused on where to be. The shad are up and the bows want be down.
Pick up some Pro-cure scents also.
Did anyone mention that your dollars spent ratio is gonna be increasing heavily:rotfl:

ztechz
07-11-2010, 05:15 PM
LOL, I forgot to mention that I also used the Pro-Cure Anise Plus oil too!

Bruce_trout_hunter
07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
ztechz you need to go down to about 45feet and try for the trout. the hotter it is the deeper they go. And the more boats running around on the lake will move the fish down too.

Bruce

ztechz
07-11-2010, 06:40 PM
That makes sense to me. I am going to try again on Tuesday morning and have one downrigger set at 40 and the other at 50 feet and see what happens.

Bruce_trout_hunter
07-11-2010, 07:04 PM
ztechz check you pm .

ztechz
07-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Got it, replied.

rk2fish
07-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Hey ztechz, maybe you should try up past trimmer. I have a couple of friends who went a couple of weeks ago and did pretty good up there. I'm usually chasing stripers and halibut this time of year if I'm not working on saturdays so I haven't been there in a couple of months.