PDA

View Full Version : crawdad catching tips

playnhooky
07-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Hows it going?
Im going to be up at bear river res. this weekend and ive heard it has quite a few mud bugs:stirthepot:. I havent had much luck with my traps at other places so i think i need some advice. depth? bottom structure? ect... I know I will be using fresh fish or bacon as bait because ive heard thats the best.
I appreciate it. Thanks

Jason

Fishoff
07-13-2010, 03:57 AM
what you need is a net, the shape of a square or just modify it by using a window screen. Tie for metal rod to each corner and take the tip of the pole and point them together thus that it will look like an Indian tee pee. On top, you tie a giant flotation device like a big Styrofoam or a giant blobber. Add Fish or stinky stuff in the middle. Drop it down deep enough so the tip of the pole with the float on top is barely out of the water. You wait and wait and lift it up with a giant stick and hopefully, you will catch some crawfish. That is how we be catching then in Narleans. We love to eat them water buggers by boiling them in them Louisiana hot spices, lemon, lemon tree leaf for flavoring and lemon grass.

OHHHHH Weeeeeeee

http://naturalfake.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/crawfish.jpg

Fishoff
07-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I know in Sept, they are catching them in the north sac area in them rice pattie fields near the sacramento airport. They are slinging them on stockton blvd in broad daylight at them parking lots.

I'm not advocating nothing. I'm just telling you what I saw and how it goes down. Them people that owns the rice patter has a contract with a local or seasonal craw fish trapper. They are the ones who chases people who goes into the rice pattie that some has a no trespassing sign to it. If you are nice to them, they will tell you to catch enough for a feast and leave.

CrappieJed
07-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I just wonder if crawfish would live in my pond and if so...would they harm the fish spawning?

♫ CRAWFISH ♫ ~ Elvis Presley ~ King Creole (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUl6J_qAGE)

Fishoff
07-13-2010, 09:28 PM
The trespassing law in California is a tricky one. Even posted, they will and can not charge you nothing if a verbal as a warning is not issue. I know this because I have studied upon this law and have won in court before. That was years ago but if the law changes now, whoop dee doo me.

It is on another man's property so how can the law of the state can press charges on another man's property? If I go on your property, I could be your friend so how can the state know? The state can not do jack squat unless the land owner is the one who press charges.

N.O Xpl()de
07-13-2010, 09:39 PM
The trespassing law in California is a tricky one. Even posted, they will and can not charge you nothing if a verbal as a warning is not issue. I know this because I have studied upon this law and have won in court before. That was years ago but if the law changes now, whoop dee doo me.

It is on another man's property so how can the law of the state can press charges on another man's property? If I go on your property, I could be your friend so how can the state know? The state can not do jack squat unless the land owner is the one who press charges.

so i can fish in an area with no trespassing signs if the landowners are not home? what if the police sees you? its hard to imagine no fine on the spot.

FishItswuts4dinner
07-14-2010, 12:55 AM
What kind of traps are you going to use? I would say look for rock piles or brush areas as dad's always seem to be under somekind of cover. I don't think that depth matters as much as cover for them dad's so just look for cover near the shorlines. Just remember to post up the report and pics here when you get back. If you want to keep the report a low profile but don't mind sharing with a sniffer' please IM me.

playnhooky
07-15-2010, 12:01 PM
What kind of traps are you going to use? I would say look for rock piles or brush areas as dad's always seem to be under somekind of cover. I don't think that depth matters as much as cover for them dad's so just look for cover near the shorlines. Just remember to post up the report and pics here when you get back. If you want to keep the report a low profile but don't mind sharing with a sniffer' please IM me.

I will, Thanks!

addicted2Daiwa
07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
so i can fish in an area with no trespassing signs if the landowners are not home? what if the police sees you? its hard to imagine no fine on the spot.
I'm a new pond owner and I already experienced this problem. Not all landowners will fine you on the spot unless you really know how to pull their strings then maybe... but I give warnings first then if it happens again then that's when we'll meet in the court room.:cuffedik0: A couple of old Russian guys were fishing my pond because they claimed they didn't know they were on private property but I don't buy what they're telling me because after I made them leave/release the fishes they've caught, I noticed the chain lock on my dirt road gate was cut.:question: They drove away but deep inside I knew they didn't give a darn about whether or not it was private property. I had signs posted everywhere and both gates that had access to the pond were locked with inch thick chains but somehow gate#1 was cut and these guys were parked right next to the pond:nunu5pn: So the whole point is, if it was your land would you let them do the same?

Fishoff
07-16-2010, 12:32 AM

If there is a public access then that is your ticket. If it is gated with no trespassing signs, it is best not to enter. You can catch crawfish on them creeks by the highway that runs along their fields. They still have the right to chase you out but at least you have justifiable cause that you are not entering the jungle to damage other people's crops.

Private property laws are not there just to chase out vermons like us but for a fair business competition. A competitors can not snoop around your property to steal ideas and gain for himself as a spy. You get the point.

godlessjarhead
07-19-2010, 03:27 PM
I just wonder if crawfish would live in my pond and if so...would they harm the fish spawning?

♫ CRAWFISH ♫ ~ Elvis Presley ~ King Creole (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMUl6J_qAGE)

I kept some crawdads in a big aquarium once. Nothing ever reproduced. I saw one crawdad with eggs for a while, but the fish kept poking at her until they got all the eggs. It goes the other way too, crawdads will eat everything in the tank/pond they can grab. I would guess that they would have a negative effect on spawning fish.