PDA

View Full Version : What happend to the fellowship here?

fish_feeder32
07-17-2010, 09:02 PM
I remember when I found this web site and signed up almost 5 years ago. I was proud to be a SNIFFER. I bragged to everyone that I belonged to a community of fisherman and fisherwoman that stuck together and helped each other out. But over the years I have noticed that through all the politics, slander, radio typing, and racism. That this place I once was proud of and I still am is falling apart. There was a major split that caused a new web site with forums to be created. And after that you were no longer a sniffer but a traitor if you posted on the other site. But these where all people that co existed and shared many of tips with each other before. But now everyone is pointing the finger and calling names at each other. And for what reason. This is what they want is to drive a nail beetween all us fisherman and woman so that we do not stand united. And then when bills come along that effect are past time we all have in common. We cant even stand together and get the job done because all the BS. I sure do miss the good old days on this forum. And I sure do miss fishing a place and fellow sniffers were there to help each other out and not cut each others throats.

FishWisher
07-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Perhaps you are confusing web sites?

There is a lot of good fellowship here and we work diligently to keep it that way. Those who create hate and discontent move on or get banned from this site. We do our best to keep a friendly and informative site here and wish that you would have looked around a bit more before you castigate us so unfairly.

We try to allow more freedom here than you may see at other sites. For instance, some sites would simply have removed your post. We allow differing opinions to be expressed. Perhaps you confuse that freedom with a lack of fellowship? If so, look up the word "forum" in the dictionary.

This sort of thread is hanging by a... well, a thread! Keep it civil and the mods will keep it free!

fish_feeder32
07-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Fish wisher I am not trying to put down the fish sniffer forum or it's mods. I have been a loyal member of the sniffer and will continue to be. I have just seen some things said around here lately that I did not care for to much. And I just wanted to blow off a little steam . I understand that everyone has there own opinion and has the right to voice it. It just seems that sometimes we end up offending somebody. I am guilty of this too and I am sure that others have voiced there opinion about it. Well I am done being a cry baby for now lol. I wish the very best for the fishsniffer and all it's members. And hopefully I can make it back down to california for one off the sniffer fest this year. It would be nice to meet some of the new sniffers out there. The few sniffers that I met before must have gone over to the other forums or something. Because I dont see any of them post on these forums any more.

CRABBY
07-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Perhaps you are confusing web sites?

There is a lot of good fellowship here and we work diligently to keep it that way. Those who create hate and discontent move on or get banned from this site. We do our best to keep a friendly and informative site here and wish that you would have looked around a bit more before you castigate us so unfairly.

We try to allow more freedom here than you may see at other sites. For instance, some sites would simply have removed your post. We allow differing opinions to be expressed. Perhaps you confuse that freedom with a lack of fellowship? If so, look up the word "forum" in the dictionary.

This sort of thread is hanging by a... well, a thread! Keep it civil and the mods will keep it free!.............PLUS ONE.Another MOD who understands.Don

fish_feeder32
07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
In the fresh water striper board is a thread Delta 7/16. This is a good example of what I am talking about. And forum means an assembly for discussion of public affairs. And fellowship means A body of individuals joined together through similar interests, beliefs, etc. Or brotherhood. It sounds to me that a forum is a place for fellow ship to take place.

Seon
07-19-2010, 11:44 AM
....I dont see any of them post on these forums any more.

Hey I'm still here and as you can see, I just have a paper bag over my head :baghead: :a-fish:.

FishWisher
07-19-2010, 12:10 PM
In the fresh water striper board is a thread Delta 7/16. This is a good example of what I am talking about. And forum means an assembly for discussion of public affairs. And fellowship means A body of individuals joined together through similar interests, beliefs, etc. Or brotherhood. It sounds to me that a forum is a place for fellow ship to take place.

A forum is defined by Merriam-Webster as "a public meeting place for open discussion and a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas."

We strive to be open here, and to let debate go on about debatable subjects, but those discussions have to remain civil.

Your initial post on this thread stated "politics, slander, radio typing, and racism" ( I dunno what radio typing is, but I understand the rest of it), implying that such qualities are present here and that "this place... is falling apart." When we find such posts as you implied are posted here, we handle them appropriately, but sometimes posts go unseen by us mods. Check the rules and you'll see this:

"Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on this forum. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages and are not responsible for their content. FishSniffer.com and its management does not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of this forum. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately..."

It's good that you wish to belong to a forum brought together by common interests and fellowship. This is the place! But Lord knows we're not perfect.

fish_feeder32
07-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I like that bag seon. It is good to see that some of the originals are still posting. But alot have left over the last year or so. And alot of them had really good post on this site. To bad so many fisherman have different point of views I guess that is life.

fish_feeder32
07-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Dale I would like to thank you and the other mods for the great job you guys are doing. I guess what I wanted is some of the other members to see this thread. And think about how great a place this is and how much can be learned hear. And not just click the little I AGREE button so they can join and start carelessly post away. The fact is like you said this is a great place for fellowship and mods cant catch every post right away. But sometimes we members who post should use a little more caution. So not to go into subjects that may offend other members. And if by accident you do sometimes a simple sorry will do just fine. I know everything can't be perfect. So let me finish by saying if I offended anyone I am sorry. Like I said before it was nothing personal just venting.

CRABBY
07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
In the fresh water striper board is a thread Delta 7/16. This is a good example of what I am talking about. And forum means an assembly for discussion of public affairs. And fellowship means A body of individuals joined together through similar interests, beliefs, etc. Or brotherhood. It sounds to me that a forum is a place for fellow ship to take place.Thanks for the tip,thread is somewhat fixed,as Dale said we can't be here 24/7,there's only a few of us,sometimes we try an be to nice an let things go an they get out of hand,I get accused of being to hard an then to nice an so on an so forth,we(The mods can't win for losing)sometimes we/I get caught up in major disputes an have to be the judge an jury as you know, we are just people trying to keep the peace as best we see fit,not an easy job for 0 pay,I try to look at all angles,but with a board this big an with so many members of diff.races,beliefs,cultural backgrounds,an personalities it can be difficult at best,so please be patient we are doing are best.Don

Toxic_Waste
07-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Hi fish_feeder32, thanks for your point of view. We do appreciate when members here feel a part of the community and voice their concerns. You are right that sometimes a person will post a comment that is sure to rile somebody else up. But we do our best to keep a lid on it and not let disagreements escalate to the point of all-out war and personal insults, etc.
It is very true that now, more than ever, those of us in the fishing community, no matter which forum/s we may belong to, need to stand together to protect what we love. There simply isn't time to resort to fighting amongst each other, when that energy could and should be directed toward keeping up with new or proposed laws and regulations that may threaten our waters, fish and commercial or recreational fishing activities.
It never hurts to be reminded of our goals, so thank you for your concerns. Stick around and feel welcome, and hopefully you will feel more positive about the Fish Sniffer forum.

stpritch
08-11-2010, 08:51 AM
One of the things I like about fishing is that when I'm on the water (a dock or bank, still working toward a boat) it doesn't matter who else is around...we're ALL fisherman and THAT is all that matters. I don't care who or what they are. I have noticed some of what I call "fishing snobs" who look down on us "poor" guys who don't have a nice boat and expensive equipment but I think maybe they have just forgotten where they came from. I sat next to some guys fishing with old rusty hooks they found and using spark plugs for sinkers and thats great cuz we all fisherman! There are a few jerks out there but that is just life. We fish cuz we love it and the stories and the stretching of the truth lol. A true fisherman has learned patience and tolerance and how to adjust to adversity and we all beed to practice that here too. I know I'm pretty new here but I have learned SOOOOO much from the others here. I thank the Sniffer and everyone here for their views AND their differences.

Fishbucket
08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Good Post stpritch..

Toxic_Waste
08-13-2010, 11:16 PM
While on the subject of snobs who think they are better people because they have more expensive stuff, it reminds me of something funny I saw a few years ago at Manzanita Lake, across the road from where I live.

This guy was fishing from the bank and had himself all outfitted to the max (even with waders, fly-fishing hat, all the stuff you see in catalogs). He kept yelling at some kids who were fishing with bobbers, line that was all kinked and too heavy, sinkers made out of bolts, and cheap-o rods/reels. The snob guy wanted them to clear out and told them they were wasting their time. He was being really rude and mean.

Well, those kids were pulling rainbow trout outta the lake one after another, and he didn't catch ANY the whole time he was there! hahahahahahahaha! It was sweet!:cheeky-smiley-006:

EarlyFish
08-13-2010, 11:37 PM
hey, i do agree with one thing though: What happened to all the old fishsniffers?? I mean, I havent been a member for too long, but long enough to see that the old sniffers who helped me out are not around anymore.

Polebrother
08-14-2010, 07:02 AM
hey, i do agree with one thing though: What happened to all the old fishsniffers?? I mean, I havent been a member for too long, but long enough to see that the old sniffers who helped me out are not around anymore.

Agree with your comment. The elephant in the room that has never really been adequately addressed here is why did the big riff occur in the first place, causing others to angrily break away from Fishsniffer and start a new site? I wasn't a part of that mess (at least I don't think so) but I could/can feel the animosity and hostility emanating through the threads, some carefully worded, some not. I read and post on the other site occasionally but Fishsniffer remains my absolute favorite and most frequented. I fully concur in Dale's comments and fully support moderator efforts to keep the site respectable, enjoyable, informative, and civil. But I also agree with Fish_Feeder 32's original post because I think the question he asked is a fair one, the answer to which still remains unknown to regular sniffers like myself, who were not privy to the real behind the scenes discord that caused the big split and subsequently two weaker sites. Maybe I'll end up in a room someday with the right people and some beer at which time the truth will be told. Wouldn't it be great if the powers that be for both sites could get together, sit down and work out differences, (whatever they are/were) and declare a truce so that we can get back to the old days when the Fishsniffer was a stronger, more enjoyable site than either of the two websites we've been referring to in this discussion. Looking from afar, I think the chances of that happening are slim and none. Really sad.

kokaneeCommander
08-21-2010, 09:31 AM
All I know is i am a member of multiple sites. I like to keep it all about the friends, fishing and sharing. I usually just try to stay out of all politics here or else where. Nick

Toxic_Waste
08-22-2010, 10:35 AM
kokaneeCommander has a good attitude about the world of Internet forums. If one isn't cautious, it's just too easy to get pulled into the tarpits that appear now and then. I vote for "friends, fishing and sharing" any day.

CRABBY
08-22-2010, 02:46 PM
kokaneeCommander has a good attitude about the world of Internet forums. If one isn't cautious, it's just too easy to get pulled into the tarpits that appear now and then. I vote for "friends, fishing and sharing" any day.+1,one small hint,you see a poster who seems to have like interests an you like his posts PM him or her an get together an fish an learn together it works an you will soon have a new bud for a fishing partner,sharing happy times with a friend is priceless,just ask CC an Jetspray,the fellowship is here ya just got to pursue it an the rest will happen.TW when we gonna go get some Salmon???an trade lies.Don

Hamachi_Kama
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
All I know is i am a member of multiple sites. I like to keep it all about the friends, fishing and sharing. I usually just try to stay out of all politics here or else where. Nick

After years of internet fishin, I've drawn the same conclusions, only moreso.

Reports and reports only. I've learned the meaning of the "road to hell is paved with good intent."

It's best just to spend your time fishin with your bro's and sharing the glory for those who couldn't make it out.:smiley:

Get Bent MARK
09-19-2010, 10:17 AM
I remember when I found this web site and signed up almost 5 years ago. I was proud to be a SNIFFER. I bragged to everyone that I belonged to a community of fisherman and fisherwoman that stuck together and helped each other out. But over the years I have noticed that through all the politics, slander, radio typing, and racism. That this place I once was proud of and I still am is falling apart. There was a major split that caused a new web site with forums to be created. And after that you were no longer a sniffer but a traitor if you posted on the other site. But these where all people that co existed and shared many of tips with each other before. But now everyone is pointing the finger and calling names at each other. And for what reason. This is what they want is to drive a nail beetween all us fisherman and woman so that we do not stand united. And then when bills come along that effect are past time we all have in common. We cant even stand together and get the job done because all the BS. I sure do miss the good old days on this forum. And I sure do miss fishing a place and fellow sniffers were there to help each other out and not cut each others throats.

I AGREE 100%,

I belong to several forums and I contribute to them ALL. When I have something to say or contribute that will HELP another angler, I will. I don't care about politics or personal issues that don't include me or my interest. This banter between forums is just silly. I don't care. I still have SNIFFER STARS on my boat and I don't care about those who feel I'm a traitor and (NO!!, I don't need a whole thread on how to remove the SNIFFERSTARS. Bunch of BABY'S!!!) I tell them to GROW UP!!! I do know this as fact, we ALL started here on the SNIFFER BOARD and without it some of these other forums would not exsist. I've know Allen and Cal for sometime now and I've fished with Dan a few times including a couple of trips that went into the print edition. I also contribute reports to Garry when and if he needs them. All are GREAT guys who have done a lot to bring us all together, Thank you Guys.
To add IMO, Having 5000 + post is NOT a badge of honor. It tells me that you certainly don't fish enough thus you really have nothing to add or contribute. Get a LIFE!!!

Mark

CRABBY
09-19-2010, 03:00 PM
I AGREE 100%,

I belong to several forums and I contribute to them ALL. When I have something to say or contribute that will HELP another angler, I will. I don't care about politics or personal issues that don't include me or my interest. This banter between forums is just silly. I don't care. I still have SNIFFER STARS on my boat and I don't care about those who feel I'm a traitor and (NO!!, I don't need a whole thread on how to remove the SNIFFERSTARS. Bunch of BABY'S!!!) I tell them to GROW UP!!! I do know this as fact, We ALL started here on the SNIFFER BOARD and without it some of these other forums would not exsist.
To add IMO, Having 5000 + post is NOT a badge of honor. It tells me that you certainly don't fish enough thus you really have nothing to add or contribute. Get a LIFE!!!

Mark+ one Mark,excellent post.Thanks Don

LD
09-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Perhaps people have gotten turned off by being ignored...
I know of someone who has been a member for several years and had recent troubles logging on.
He sent a couple requests to the sniffer help line, and to Cal's email on the last try.
He still has not had a reply, from anyone.
Like kokanneecommander, I am a member of several sites, and also was a moderator at one of them for a while.
While I don't post very often, I still visit several of them each day.
The ones where I do post from time to time, are the ones where I feel most comfortable.
If long time members are ignored, what about the new members?
How can the fellowship be improved if you don't help someone when they have a problem?
So if there is a perceived lack of fellowship, someone needs to take a look in the mirror.
I will now get down off my soapbox…:grin:

CRABBY
09-24-2010, 02:43 PM
Perhaps people have gotten turned off by being ignored...
I know of someone who has been a member for several years and had recent troubles logging on.
He sent a couple requests to the sniffer help line, and to Cal's email on the last try.
He still has not had a reply, from anyone.
Like kokanneecommander, I am a member of several sites, and also was a moderator at one of them for a while.
While I don't post very often, I still visit several of them each day.
The ones where I do post from time to time, are the ones where I feel most comfortable.
If long time members are ignored, what about the new members?
How can the fellowship be improved if you don't help someone when they have a problem?
So if there is a perceived lack of fellowship, someone needs to take a look in the mirror.
I will now get down off my soapbox…:grin:Good soap box LD,members please PM ME!!!!!!!!You have problems or Q's or just a complaint in general I need to know so I can pass it on an get it fixed if possible,I know the frustration many of you experience,I know I am the blah blah Moderator but I can help many times also,my job is to keep the board running smoothly an keep you people happy,believe it or not that's what I'm here for.The Sniffer is #1,help me keep it that way.Don