PDA

View Full Version : Santa Cruz 2-9-08 AWESOME!!!!

pulper80
02-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Nothing. *Zero, zip, zilch.

Fished the incoming tide at Cowell beach for about 2 hours. *Had one small surf perch on but he popped off halfway through the amazing fight that only a 6 inch perch in the ocean can give. *Was using motor oil swirl tail grubs with 3/4 oz weight at 18" leader scented with krill gel.

Moved to the wharf and tried sabiki, sardines, and roe for a couple hours. *Nothing. *Nobody else next to me got anything either. *I hate this time of year in the bay area, I'm going sturgeon fishing out of San Rafael on Presidents day, if any sniffers are up for it let me know. *It's $70 and the guy's boat holds 16.

This fish was NOT caught in February:

http://pulper80.googlepages.com/hugesurf2.jpg

metalmouth
02-10-2008, 08:36 AM
From the awesome header I was thinking . . . It's always great to get out none the less. :D

Thanks for the report!

MM

MB_Kevin
02-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I know I seen the pic first and I was thinking it was time to make a trip ;D

Sin_Coast
02-10-2008, 09:34 PM
Right now is primetime for shore rockies. Just drive a little ways N of Santa Cruz, find some rocks, and throw in some squid.
The perching has been pretty hot lately too. Using the same gear you noted: kalins 1.5" grubs on a carolina rig w/18" flouro leader of 6lb text.
Keep at it. There's plenty of fish in the sea (despite what those crazy eco-nuts say).
Good luck,
PK

wading2fish
02-10-2008, 10:22 PM
thanks for the report pulper. I think Sin Coast has some very wise advice and it's time to do some fishing for rockies (off the shore ofcourse). I myself have not been out in a LONG time, and I'm really craving some rockfish.....