PDA

View Full Version : Advice on D3-5 zones

Jollyroger86
07-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Just moved to the Sacramento area from Fresno and hunting D7 the past four years being that was the nearest to me. Just got my tags for D3-5 and some BLM maps but still unfamilair with the area and not really sure where to start on public land here. I am always willing to put in the long days with lots of hiking miles not road hunting so any advice on general areas to camp and hike into the woods would be a greatly appreaciated. I will be hunting during the week since those are my days off. As always looking forward to deer season and just trying to prepare in any way that i can! Thanks.

John

DUNNIGAN JIM
07-22-2010, 08:18 PM
JOHN You have several choices from out of the SAC area to hunt d3-5. I have hunted the ICE HOUSE RD area for several yrs. or try up near Jackson Meadows. Alot of good hunting nr Wrights lake also.The good thing about the ICE HOUSE area is that you can get there from SAC in about 1 (in@1) hr. I'm sure someone else may suggest some areas for you too. We hunt nr Ice House lake later in the season and fish the lake at the same time. Good luck hunting .

Jollyroger86
07-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the info!! Im familiar with Ice house and wrights lake but cant find anything on Jackson Meadowss?

scales
07-28-2010, 11:10 PM
just to be safe, hunt the west side of jackson meadows. get away from the quad and dirt bike trails and watch for sign as far as where the deer are getting water and feed. as always, be carefull. d3-5 has a lot of hunters!

gametracker
07-29-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info!! Im familiar with Ice house and wrights lake but cant find anything on Jackson Meadowss?

Hi I moved from Fresno to Roseville about 2 yrs ago. I have hunted the Ice house/Wrights lake area. Lots of pressure opening weekend rifle season. Find some game trails off the road, hike to it in the dark and stay put, let the hunters push the deer to you. This strategy sometimes works. I will be hunting Archery for the first time this season so I am hoping to see some deer that have not been spooked.

I have also did some scouting around Bowman Lake, Grouse ridge. Will try to check out Jackson Meadows as well either on Sunday or Monday.

A good source of hunting info can be found on Jesses Hunting, jst google it and go to the forums section. if you get on the Blacktail section and do a search on jackson Meadows or ice house etc etc you will come across some good info to get you started on compter/topo scouting at home prior to heading out to the field.

Big Jerm
09-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Dunnigan Jim...PM sent.

Jerm

DubNasty
06-02-2012, 11:00 PM
Just moved to the Sacramento area from Fresno and hunting D7 the past four years being that was the nearest to me. Just got my tags for D3-5 and some BLM maps but still unfamilair with the area and not really sure where to start on public land here. I am always willing to put in the long days with lots of hiking miles not road hunting so any advice on general areas to camp and hike into the woods would be a greatly appreaciated. I will be hunting during the week since those are my days off. As always looking forward to deer season and just trying to prepare in any way that i can! Thanks.

John

John, i suggest getting prepared for hunting by doing lots of karate and really perfecting your roundhouse kick.