PDA

View Full Version : Quarry Lakes Report

fritzw75
07-24-2010, 04:32 PM
I went to Quarry Lakes for the first time today with my 8 yr old son. I knew about this place for years but have never checked it out. I live about 10 miles away so no excuse.
Anyway does anyone know when they opened this lake to fishing? We got to the lake about 9:30 and fished about 3 hours and had 3 bites but no fish. I used power bait and a worm on a trout pole with one bite right when it hit the water on a 20 foot cast,so not too far out. Then on my two Cat poles I had shrimp on one and mackerel on the second rod. The shrimp pole got hit two different times and it seemed like the cat was one both times but when we went to set the hook nothing. Are there really small cats or can this be something else? The sun was out by the time we got there as it was overcast early and I heard one guy limited out early on trout. We fished horseshoe about 1/8 mile down fisherman's row. There was about 20 other people fishing all along the shore from the start of fisherman's row all the way down that side. So if anyone who reads this that knows this lake can chime in with some tips on how to catch Cats and trout that would be great. I know we went at a bad time. Next time I will go the last two or three hours of daylight in the evening or at daybreak. I just wanted to get my kid out fishing. I also know this is not a good time for trout even early or late. So I guess for trout once they start planting again would be good to go early and or late. When do they start planting again for trout? I know they plant Cats now so if anyone has any good tips on the best way to get cats there that would be great. What is a good line set up and tackle?I know you cannot use lead weights. Also best baits and what area's of the lake are best for cats and how far out to cast? Thanks for all the help. One last thing. What type fish are in horseshoe? Just Trout and Cats and small mouth bass? What about pan fish? I would love to have several people chime in with there expertise and thoughts on Quarry. Thanks!

hulenjohnson
07-25-2010, 08:47 PM
I fish quarry about 3 or 4 times a week since i only live about 5 minutes away. I have an album of just quarry lakes so go check it out and see how big the fish get in there. The park opens at 6 a.m and closes at 10 p.m. For the cats, shrimp is your best option,i've caught most of mine on shrimp. And no those most likely arent small cats the smallest that i've caught has been about two lbs, so they most likely felt resistance and dropped it. At quarry they tend to drop the bait when they feel the weight or some type of resistance so thats why the sliding sinker works best. Use a sliding sinker with a bobber hanging from the line, so set your pole up just like you're fishing for trout except use heavier tackle. The best time is early morning for cats or evening til night time. I went saturday morning for catfish and lost a huge one in kiosk cove and another one on the backside of the lake so it wasn't a good day. They have bluegill in horseshoe but i havent seen any big ones. They also have black bass. Hope this helps.

fritzw75
07-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Thanks very much for the info on Quarry. I did use a sliding sinker and had a bell on the pole. I will try the bobber. When you say bobber your talking about near the eyes on the pole line right? Not in the water? Also since you cannot use lead weights any idea where to buy the lead weights? I tried big 5 and they had one type of splits and they were like $4.
I will try my cabelas catalog. Also what size sliding sinker should I use for cats? Also what size for trout? Alot of reports say to cast way out there since the trout are deep so you would need a good size weight. Do you cast far for the cats? I fished fishermans row.
Where do you think a good catfish spot would be for my son and I if we head out one night this week for the last 2 or 3 hours of light? We ride our bikes from the parking lot so its pretty easy to get most anywhere.
Thanks again for all your help and expertise!!
Steve

F33rNoFish
07-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Thanks very much for the info on Quarry. I did use a sliding sinker and had a bell on the pole. I will try the bobber. When you say bobber your talking about near the eyes on the pole line right? Not in the water? Also since you cannot use lead weights any idea where to buy the lead weights? I tried big 5 and they had one type of splits and they were like $4.
I will try my cabelas catalog. Also what size sliding sinker should I use for cats? Also what size for trout? Alot of reports say to cast way out there since the trout are deep so you would need a good size weight. Do you cast far for the cats? I fished fishermans row.
Where do you think a good catfish spot would be for my son and I if we head out one night this week for the last 2 or 3 hours of light? We ride our bikes from the parking lot so its pretty easy to get most anywhere.
Thanks again for all your help and expertise!!
Steve

hi there, the kiosk will trade your lead weights for non at no charge. not sure what the largest size they have are, but they do have them.

i've never caught anything at horseshoe, but fish rainbow often for bass. i've seen huge catfish and carp swim by the pier, though.

KillKrill
07-30-2010, 10:43 AM
i remember fishing off the pier used to be good a year or two back.

fishing_man
07-30-2010, 04:46 PM
Hulen you have to teach me how to catch these cats here at quarry. only time i caught one was while fishing for trout