PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay Hali's: Is This Year a Bust Compared to 2008 & 2009?

Polebrother
07-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Just wondering what others think about this question. For me, the 2010 hali bite in the bay has been no where close to what it was the previous two years. Maybe its just me but the tides and dirty water have made it difficult to get bit this year. Or, maybe the halibut fishery is on the decline because of the heavy pressure of recent years due to salmon restrictions. Well, what say ye?

nitty917
07-25-2010, 10:27 AM
ill vote yes, unless I just happen to have a horrible year. but definetly had lot more luck those years.
It could also be a bad year of bad tides and weather? I dont remember the bay looking muddy as much, I was able to fish more those years vs this year if that makes any sense. I retired halibut for the season, but I know they are still picking them off out the gate at the Bars. I just started rockfishing, and I wish I didnt because now im addicted! :banana: Very fun fishing when you find fish!

ASE
07-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Seems to me that the past 2 seasons were fantastic or this year is just poor.Your guess is as good as mine.Bait is small as it was last year so I don"t know if that is a factor or not? Have always caught many more fish trolling frozen bait over live bait anyway.Pretty much have given up on the butts this season.

Scotthmt
07-25-2010, 04:13 PM
Are there still butts out there? I've caught a grand total of 1 keeper and 1 undersize this whole season drifting liver smelt and been out there no less than 10 times

MoMoney
07-26-2010, 06:02 AM
I think early on fishing was about the same as last year but this year the fish seemed to leave the bay early.I have only gone out 1 time in july as the reports havent been good and ive been to busy to give it a shot.Every fishery has years that are better than others and maybe this was just an off year.Who knows??

mytmouse
07-31-2010, 08:53 AM
tides look pretty good, worth a shot next few days. No reports still, all salmon fishing it appears. thats fine, just need to find em I would think

How is bait size? any bait off piers?

Polebrother
07-31-2010, 11:17 AM
tides look pretty good, worth a shot next few days. No reports still, all salmon fishing it appears. thats fine, just need to find em I would think

How is bait size? any bait off piers? Agree...the tides look better in coming days. Gonna give it a try Sunday, tomorrow. Will be trolling popcicles...hope we can find the flatties. Will post a report, good or bad.

mytmouse
07-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Agree...the tides look better in coming days. Gonna give it a try Sunday, tomorrow. Will be trolling popcicles...hope we can find the flatties. Will post a report, good or bad.

Gonna put the stuff together myself...will be out sun and mon if i have my way, live bait, but i will pack some sling blades. give a hollar

Cal.Kellogg
08-01-2010, 10:23 AM
With no salmon and limited rockfish fishing there has been a lot of pressure on the halibut fishery over the past couple years....

mytmouse
08-01-2010, 05:25 PM
6-2 drifitng live bait out of berkeley....no take downs, saw no more than 8 boats in bay. hit alameda, southhampton, flats. will do again tomorrow.

Polebrother
08-01-2010, 09:24 PM
Sunday, Aug 1: On the water trolling frozen chovies & herring with my two brothers at 8:30 a.m. off at 6 p.m. for only one keeper, a 24-incher that came midday during the incoming. Water was quite clear nearly all day but the fish just don't seem to be there like we've come to expect. We've decided to give the bay a break for awhile and focus on the bars outside the gate. Only problem with this new strategy is we're wary of the ocean and will go only when we can be sure the seas will be calm and very fishable. Big respect for the big water...perhaps to a fault.

hansolo2009
08-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Sunday, Aug 1: On the water trolling frozen chovies & herring with my two brothers at 8:30 a.m. off at 6 p.m. for only one keeper, a 24-incher that came midday during the incoming. Water was quite clear nearly all day but the fish just don't seem to be there like we've come to expect. We've decided to give the bay a break for awhile and focus on the bars outside the gate. Only problem with this new strategy is we're wary of the ocean and will go only when we can be sure the seas will be calm and very fishable. Big respect for the big water...perhaps to a fault.

Same with me. Went out past the gate for the first time last weekend. Hit the South bar (off Ocean Beach). It was not nearly as difficult or intimidating or as big a deal as I thought it would be.

Unless there are bay reports that really surpass the ocean reports, i'll be hitting the open waters a lot more often (if i have at least a 6 hour window to fish). Better quality fish, more opportunities to troll, better chance at stripers & WSB, and the best of all, 2 rods until you land the 1st fish (since i fish solo a lot).
In any case, if you want to tandem out there on the weekends, i keep my boat in Emeryville Marina. We can keep in touch over the radio & share info on the bite. -solo

mytmouse
08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
wayyyyy late post, been a hectic week. Fished all day Sunday at Alameda, S Hampton, Rock, and flats...for no take downs or at least no hits that stuck, lol...when will i catch a suicide butt.

I got one butt Monday morning 22 and maybe an 1/8" long.... it came after one float at treasure then a move to the flats...came on first drift. didnt hang out much longer, was a long 2 days on water. had a GREAT time though, my lil boat does fine in the bay, I am looking forward to maybe a try at the North Bar, when its CALM, FLAT and SUNNY....how do I plan that from Roseville?

Reel Fun
08-08-2010, 08:10 PM
wayyyyy late post, been a hectic week. Fished all day Sunday at Alameda, S Hampton, Rock, and flats...for no take downs or at least no hits that stuck, lol...when will i catch a suicide butt.

I got one butt Monday morning 22 and maybe an 1/8" long.... it came after one float at treasure then a move to the flats...came on first drift. didnt hang out much longer, was a long 2 days on water. had a GREAT time though, my lil boat does fine in the bay, I am looking forward to maybe a try at the North Bar, when its CALM, FLAT and SUNNY....how do I plan that from Roseville?

MM.......this tues. says waves 1-3ft & hardly no wind (5 knots) or less???? Incoming tide all morning!!!

RF