PDA

View Full Version : Whacked 'em At Caples!

Cal.Kellogg
07-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Working for the Sniffer I've done a good deal of traveling and I've fished a lot of different spots, but I'd never been up to Caples Lake.

Well that all changed on Friday when my wife Gena and I headed up to the lake for a weekend stay at Caples Lake Resort. We started off Friday evening trolling red Wedding Rings tipped with half 'crawlers trolled 24 inches behind Vance's dodgers. We started hooking fish immediately while trolling 18 to 27 feet deep and didn't change lures or dodgers all weekend.

Gena caught the first fish of the trip Friday evening and it turned out to be the largest fish of the trip. It was a rainbow that weighed in at 5.2 pounds. We kept her 'bow and released another rainbow and a brown, calling it a day when darkness forced us off the lake.

Saturday we picked up right where we left off. We got a total of 21 fish, including a 3 pound rainbow, several browns to about 2 pounds, 4 macks to 3 pounds, a 14 inch brookie and a bunch of rainbows that weighed about a pound each...What a day and we weren't trying too hard!....

If you like trout trolling, I'd get up to Caples ASAP...You can't beat the scenery or the fishing.....Cal

fishingfreak
07-26-2010, 01:41 PM
yeah caples is my favorite lake have alway got got my limit and a bunch more great lake

Reel Fun
07-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Nice report Cal.......Are there any tackle shops in that neck of the woods??? My uncle lives in Jackson and is headed to Caples tomorrow and needs some tackle.

Reel Fun

untalan1
07-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Hello Reel fun , There is a little bit of tackle at the resort but at a premium.If he lives in Jackson there's a k-mart and a Walmart where he'll have a better selection and alot cheaper.If fishing from shore I'd have him pick up 1/4 oz gold kastmaster and some green gulp.When Iwas up there on the 4th of july I fished where Woods creek comes in to the lake and drag a grasshopper trout trap 5' under a bobber just throw from shore and retrieve slowly.Good luck.Efren

Jetspray
07-26-2010, 04:48 PM
red Wedding Rings tipped with half 'crawlers trolled 24 inches behind Vance's dodgers.

OK what color Vance's did you use? Would be nice to give it a try, 30 mins from the house......Jetspray

Jetspray
07-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Hello Reel fun , There is a little bit of tackle at the resort but at a premium.If he lives in Jackson there's a k-mart and a Walmart where he'll have a better selection and alot cheaper.If fishing from shore I'd have him pick up 1/4 oz gold kastmaster and some green gulp.When Iwas up there on the 4th of july I fished where Woods creek comes in to the lake and drag a grasshopper trout trap 5' under a bobber just throw from shore and retrieve slowly.Good luck.Efren

++1 Efren, buy before you fly. Prices on KM's over here are about $4 per in that size. Will give the lake a try this week for sure, maybe drag the Captain along as well......Jetspray

nploojlis
07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Went to Caples this weekend...fished the spillway and dam from the shore for several hours...no bites...if you don't have a boat...don't bother going to caples.

Jetspray
07-27-2010, 04:43 AM
Went to Caples this weekend...fished the spillway and dam from the shore for several hours...no bites...if you don't have a boat...don't bother going to caples.

Pen trout seem to troll the shore's mostly, like being in 3ft of water in a pen. You should be able to hook one of those monsters they release from time to time.......Jetspray

Cal.Kellogg
07-27-2010, 07:17 AM
We used two colors of dodger, green and chrome, which is always a favorite of mine and a new one that Vance gave me that I'm not sure you can buy yet. It was a copper back blade with a speckled trout pattern on the front that has a lot of pink in it....

The bite was really easy, I just kept the speed from 1.2 to 1.5. I trolled with a 100 foot set back, so I was able to tweek the depth based on what I saw on the sonar...The fish were not hitting really hard, you could see them working on the worm on the rod tip. It looked like you had a hooked fish that didn't pop the clip, but when I'd pop the line off the clip the fish would be gone. After missing a couple, when I would see a fish working the rod tip, I would give the kicker a shot of power and speed up to 2.0 and then slow right back down. Using that method we missed very few fish and the ones we got were mostly hooked in the jaw, so releasing them unharmed was easy. We kept two fish for the entire trip and had one floater....

If you die and come back as a Caples Lake trout, don't hang out near the surface. The floater lasted for about 2 minutes before an osprey picked him off! I was going to troll back around and pick up the fish, but it went to a good cause...

While I was there I saw quite a few fish caught off the bank and when I got into my boat Sunday morning there were trout swimming around the dock in about 5 feet of water. They looked catchable, although they didn't like the looks of me and took off soon after I spotted them...

The next time I visit that country I want to hit Silver Lake, and my wife has made me promise to take her ice fishing at Caples this coming winter....Sounds like fun!

Jetspray
07-27-2010, 07:35 AM
After missing a couple, when I would see a fish working the rod tip, I would give the kicker a shot of power and speed up to 2.0 and then slow right back down. Using that method we missed very few fish and the ones we got were mostly hooked in the jaw, so releasing them unharmed was easy. We kept two fish for the entire trip and had one floater....

Thanks for the color tip, the guy I fish with (Captain Compassion) does the same thing using lead core. We troll at about 2.0 mph and he just jerks the line. I will tighten up the line leaving slack to the troll ball that way I can just jerk the line a little for the enticement. Again thanks Cal.......Jetspray