PDA

View Full Version : Isn't a fisherman limited to hooking 10 rockfish a day?

bluestar
07-26-2010, 11:19 AM
I read reports that people caught and released 20 or 30 rockfish. If I remember correctly 10 rockfish and a fisherman is done for the day. Has that rule changed?

Reel Fun
07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
I think if it is in the OCEAN then its a boat limit......meaning 3 guys 30 fish whoever catches them. If its catch & release then the ten kept would be a limit and no fishing for that species after??

RF

bluestar
07-26-2010, 01:10 PM
I think if it is in the OCEAN then its a boat limit......meaning 3 guys 30 fish whoever catches them. If its catch & release then the ten kept would be a limit and no fishing for that species after??

RF

Boat limit is a separate matter... Let me rephrase my question: Do released rockfish count toward the 10 daily limit?

I thought it did (the theory was when you bring a fish up at rapid pace, chances are it's gonna die). That's the rule I"ve been following anyway.

Has that changed?

Reel Fun
07-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Boat limit is a separate matter... Let me rephrase my question: Do released rockfish count toward the 10 daily limit?

I thought it did (the theory was when you bring a fish up at rapid pace, chances are it's gonna die). That's the rule I"ve been following anyway.

Has that changed?

Not really sure......I have seen tools on boats to relieve the pressure from the fish??? Good question??? I also would like to know the answer?? I have heard of rockfish taken shallow and therfore would be ok to release if legal??

RF

nitty917
07-26-2010, 10:47 PM
it should not count against your limit, if you released it safe i dont see any reason it should? guys release black bass all day, stripers all day, and even sturgeons, and so does salmon

MoMoney
07-27-2010, 06:13 AM
If you catch an undersize ling and throw it back it doesnt count so I dont think so, although if the dfg found a bunch of floaters near where your fishing youd probably have issues at that point.

remington
07-27-2010, 07:29 AM
You can catch and release as many rockfish as you want. If you end up keeping your 10 fish limit than you can keep fishing you just have to release anything you catch (as far as rock cod go).

sethonious
07-28-2010, 08:36 AM
It is no longer first 10 caught. That went out when the depth restrictions were implemented.

CDK
07-28-2010, 04:59 PM
You can catch and release as many rockfish as you want. If you end up keeping your 10 fish limit than you can keep fishing you just have to release anything you catch (as far as rock cod go).
I don't think so. If you keep fishing after you have your limit in the boat and are checked I think that may be considered [can't think what it's called] fishing for bigger fish for your limit.

remington
07-29-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't think so. If you keep fishing after you have your limit in the boat and are checked I think that may be considered [can't think what it's called] fishing for bigger fish for your limit.

That is called calling your fish and no that would probably be not ok. But there is nothing in the dfg book that says you have to stop fishing when you reach your limit. No matter what kind of fish you are fishing for, there is no regs on catch and release. I have caught hundreds of rock cod in a day, had my limit and kept on fishing. (catch and release of course). This is 100% legal.

Ondabank
07-29-2010, 10:00 AM
That is called calling your fish and no that would probably be not ok. But there is nothing in the dfg book that says you have to stop fishing when you reach your limit. No matter what kind of fish you are fishing for, there is no regs on catch and release. I have caught hundreds of rock cod in a day, had my limit and kept on fishing. (catch and release of course). This is 100% legal.

I was told by a warden one time while striper fishing that once you have your limit, you can no longer fish for that same species of fish. If you were to catch an additional keeper, then from the moment you land it until you release it, you are technically over the limit.

remington
07-29-2010, 12:05 PM
I was told by a warden one time while striper fishing that once you have your limit, you can no longer fish for that same species of fish. If you were to catch an additional keeper, then from the moment you land it until you release it, you are technically over the limit.

I see your point fully and that would make sense but unless that is in writing, which it isn't you are good to go. Plus, on party boats in the ocean, they let guys fish that already have their 10 fish limit to help fill other limits on the boat.