PDA

View Full Version : Which transducer???

Reel Fun
07-27-2010, 06:38 AM
I have a Lowrance LCX 28c HD....and I have a dual 50/200 trans. I mostly fish fresh water 100ft or less.....is the strait 200 better??

RF

Dennis
07-27-2010, 01:18 PM
The 50 will give you a wider angle so you should see more fish and all of your downriggers if you have any. For detail the 200 will show bottom structure better. The dual frequency transducer is 12 degrees at 200 khz and 35 degrees at 50 khz. When running the 50 khz I'll see arches that are not complete. I believe that these are fish on the outer edges of the cone angle. I haven't noticed partial or broken arches when running 200 khz.

In comparason the wide 200 shows good detail as it's a 20 degree cone angle. I haven't noticed any major differences in returned images when compared to the 200 khz side of the dual frequency. For me it was one less option to mess with. I've switched to the 50/200 and like it better.

Hope that helps.

Reel Fun
07-27-2010, 03:53 PM
I was told that the strait 200 has a wider cone angle than the 50/200 on the 200 option??

RF

Seon
07-27-2010, 05:22 PM
For your type of fishing, the 200 is better suited.

Here's the info from Lowrance:

Frequency
Most of the sonar units that we sell accessories for operate at 192 or 200 kHz (kilohertz). Some models use 50 kHz. A few are dual frequency capable, meaning they can use both 50 and 200 kHz transducers. Typically, high frequency (192 or 200 kHz) sonar units provide the best resolution and definition of structure and targets. They excel at showing minute details of the underwater world. 50 kHz units have much greater depth penetration capability, but show less definition. 50 kHz transducers also usually have a much wider cone angle than 192 or 200 kHz transducers.
You must match the transducer's frequency to the sonar unit. For example, a 192 kHz sonar unit requires a 192 kHz transducer.
Cone Angle
A transducer's cone angle determines its coverage area of the underwater world. The wider the cone angle, the greater the area that's covered. We offer a variety of 192 kHz transducers with either a wide (20) or narrow (8) cone angle. We also offer a variety of 200 kHz transducers with either a wide (20) or narrow (12) cone angle. The 50 kHz transducers come with a 35 cone angle. And the dual frequency transducers come with both a narrow (12) 200 kHz and a 50 kHz cone angles.
Generally, use a wide cone angle for fishing shallow to medium depths. The narrow cone penetrates to deeper depths, but shows less fish and structure due to its narrow beam.
The depth capability of your sonar units depends on its transmitter power, receiver, sensitivity, frequency, transducer and transducer installation. Other things that effect depth capability are: water conditions and type, (all sonars will show deeper depth readings in fresh water than salt) and bottom conditions.

Reel Fun
07-27-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks.......I got the wrong one....figures!!!!!

RF

MrDwnRigger
07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
I have both on my boat. 95% of the time I run the single frequency 200 kHz transducer. I prefer the higher resolutions and the wider angle on the single frequency transducer. I kept the old transducer 50/200 mounted just as a backup in case the other one gets broken or goes down. I do prefer the 50 MHz with the wider angle in the Delta, you can see more what's going on up shallow. Go figure, when it's supposedly designed for deeper water. I also run a Furuno at the same time obviously on a different frequency.
MrD