PDA

View Full Version : Halibut, 24 hours on ice before filleting, is it ok to eat?

dmede
08-01-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm used to gutting my catch right away but I had never caught a halibut before and didn't know where to start. We were beach camping so I thought the best thing would be to keep it whole, on ice and fillet once home.

Is that ok to do with these fish? It was a 31" 24lbs halibut, caught yesterday around 2pm and kept under 40 labs of ice all day and night.

thanks,

dave

dmede
08-02-2010, 10:24 AM
Well, I went ahead and had some of the fish last night and it was fantastic! I was a little worried about off flavors due to blood in the meat after not being cleaned but it tasted great.

I'm still interested in what conventional wisdom is on this. Do you usually boat prep your halibut by gutting on the spot or just toss on ice and take home? How long on ice with guts intact is too long?

roaddog
08-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Well, I went ahead and had some of the fish last night and it was fantastic! I was a little worried about off flavors due to blood in the meat after not being cleaned but it tasted great.

I'm still interested in what conventional wisdom is on this. Do you usually boat prep your halibut by gutting on the spot or just toss on ice and take home? How long on ice with guts intact is too long?

hook, net, hit him with yur mallet. take your knife and run it straight through the gills for the whole length of the plate. after that throw him in the box... repeat

i usually use 4 bags of ice with some water to make it slushy. i like filleting it as soon as i get home or at the dock. but i doubt it will go bad in a few days if kept cold.

dmede
08-04-2010, 08:55 AM
hook, net, hit him with yur mallet. take your knife and run it straight through the gills for the whole length of the plate. after that throw him in the box... repeat

i usually use 4 bags of ice with some water to make it slushy. i like filleting it as soon as i get home or at the dock. but i doubt it will go bad in a few days if kept cold.

so bleed him, but don't worry about the guts huh? I should have thought of that I guess, next time.

He tasted plenty good regardless! Thanks!

GNappers
08-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I have only cleaned 1 but have seen the deckhands on paty boat's clean Halibut. Just cut the fish into 4 fillets but slidding the knife on either side of the line that run's down the middle (not sure what it is called).

dmede
08-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I have only cleaned 1 but have seen the deckhands on paty boat's clean Halibut. Just cut the fish into 4 fillets but slidding the knife on either side of the line that run's down the middle (not sure what it is called).

yeah, thats what I did when I got home. my problem was I was camping the night I got the halibut and didn't really want to fillet on the beach so I kept him on ice, whole, until the next afternoon when I finally filleted him. With a trout I would have normally gutted him on the spot to help preserve the meat.

shadbuster
08-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Shouldn't be a problem, I've kept fish under ice for a day or so without gutting or bleeding on long trips and it hasn't affected the taste or texture at all, I've heard it can affect the texture/taste if you freeze the fillets from such a fish, but I haven't seen this to be the case. Although as a general policy I at least try to bleed them, right away.

BASS-O-MATIC
09-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Just keep'em in ice water and they'll be good for what ever for at least a couple of days, But keep it real icy. Maybe even add a little rock salt. I've done this for all sorts of fish and they clean and cook great. And vacumed packed they'll last for a couple of years.

redsok
02-23-2011, 10:42 PM
i do the same as roadog, hook, beat, bleed with just about anything that is caught