PDA

View Full Version : best bet for sharks

serottak
01-19-2008, 12:04 AM
I was wondering what would be my best bet for catching some sharks. I have heard that there is almost constant action between the rays and sharks. I don't know what bait to use or where to go. I'm not trying to get anyones honey-hole but I am not from the bay so where to fish would have to be kind of specific. I only have a 14ft aluminum boat so it will probably have to be from the bank. Also, what kind of tackle would I need? Could I use my striper rig? Do I need steel leaders, what size hooks.

Thats all I can think of for now... I'm sure its all been covered before.

gomezfish
01-19-2008, 12:17 AM
dude from work said he caught a 4 footer on the napa river last sunday, im not really sure where there hittin good though... my favorite spot to fish for leopards is in bolinas , go on a good day and ull hook into 4-5 footers forever,

Danksta408
01-19-2008, 01:13 AM
I use a 12ft surf rod, 25 mono, sturgeon rig, and 2-5oz pyramid weights..........Kalimari works well

janbfishinfolk
01-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Don't know where you are but Tomales Bay is someplace you could take your boat on calm days. I've done fine with my boat. Shark and Big rays there from what I've heard.

sinkerslinger
01-19-2008, 03:36 PM
the port of oakland has a small pier i have caught a few 50-100 lb rays and 3-5' sharks

MB_Kevin
01-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Squid works as good as anything from my experience. If you are just targeting leopard and sand sharks a steel leader is not needed. Your striper rod should be fine. I would go with 20# test or more. I think the bite in the bay may have slowed down due to all the fresh water in there but I have yet to go out to the bay without getting a shark. I took the family out there one time and I didn't even get to fish all I did was unhook sharks the whole time. :-/

foggy
01-20-2008, 08:39 AM
When I target just leopard sharks, I use live midshipmen and if you want to fish for mud marlins use squid.

ken_fishnfool
01-20-2008, 09:46 AM
If you live near an ocean pier, or jetty, soaking a chunk of mackeral on a wire sturgeon leader w/sliding sinker, will entice the larger sharks. Squid on the same setup should keep you busy with the smaller guys.

This is the time of year the larger leopards move in closer to the surfline.

Let us know how you do, and good luck!

Afishinado
01-20-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi serottak. when I target sharks I go to the south bay around the monthes of sep-nov. thats when the water temps ar warmer around the san mateo bridg. leopards like it better in warm water.best bait can almost be anything from shad to carp. salmon being probably the best. problem with using salmon is that it is eligal to use as bait. I like using light tackle. by light I mean using a 7'-8' rod with about 20lbs test line. just like a striper rig.waights I use 5 or 8 oz piramids. with # 10 hooks. me and my buddy mike22 hit this areas and allways have good action not only with leopards but with seven gills as well. good luck amigo and have fun [smiley=fishing5.gif]. Gabe

jerdh71
01-21-2008, 07:16 AM
When the current isnt crazy fast I use my medium action bass pole that I use in the delta. 10 lb test YEA BABY, i use the small sturgeon rigs 1-3 oz weights. *Make sure you have enough weight to stay on bottom somedays this meens 6-8 oz I like squid and sardine, take the best of both worlds. I ve had days where I was too busy catching to actually have time to drink my beer.

shon42073
01-21-2008, 11:30 AM
The area around the alameda rockwall is good for sharks also the flats around the oakland airport, both spots would easily be fishable on a somewhat calm day in a 14 footer, I've had my 15 footer in some pretty nasty stuff on the bay. I use squid or tray herring, Sometimes i drift fish for em, but anchoring works well. Find those deep holes just off the alameda rockwall. they fight well and taste like crap imo. It's pretty much a no brainer sharks are very easy to catch.

kromebrite
01-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Alameda rockwall is a classic. Hunters Point and Candlestick Point.
Never fished the area, but I hear that down by Dumbarton can be excellent. Maybe try some of the piers in SF!? Pier 2? Look at a navigational map and you'll see that some of those piers are next to good deep water. I would not have a problem with the idea of taking a 14' around the rockwall and surrounding areas with the caveat that you be preapred to get off the water when it gets cruddy by wind chop.
I used to use 30# test basically a sturgeon rig but I have since switched to 17# mono on an 8'6" salmon rod for a much more enjoyable fight. I tried 12# but it was an iffy proposition with the mud marlins. I use a 30# mono leader with 5/0 or 6/0 hooks, octopus. Probaly about a 3' leader. This year I plan on trying some circle hooks.
Squid catches both species but you will get plagued by the rays.
Salmon roe is a great choice(uncured).
Sardines are a favorite. Consider a tandem hook rig with these and use a 1/2 or whole sardine.
Mackeral is good. I hear guys catching them on American Shad(legal as bait?) as well as all sort of other variations of cut dead fish.
I bet herring would be a good choice.
This last year was the year of the huge rays. Fun thumb-burners but it gets old after the upteenth one IMO.
San Pablo is another good area, as are Tomales and Bolinas as stated.
March-April and may is the big kick off although they are a year round fish. Summer is good but it picks up again in September-November.
I would advocate releasing the females(males have the two prongs by their vent).
Have fun and good luck!

EastBayAngler
01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Try Salmon bellies around the OA. And also Roe. ;)