PDA

View Full Version : crab id question/help

ocean314
12-14-2007, 02:38 PM
What kind of crab is this? I was diving for crabs and thought i would try Albion estary. No dugeness but lots of yellow and balck molted crabs. Some where all black or a very dark brown. they where all about 4" or so across the shell. Anyone know what kind of crabs these are?

Toxic_Waste
12-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Check out this site for help with crab ID...there are a few dark ones that maybe sound like what you describe (except most of these are quite small and some might be too far north).

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/shellfish/crab/Crab_ID.asp

ocean314
12-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks Toxic Waste. Teh crabs i saw was the European Green Crab

realdeal
12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
a few months ago I went on a bay exploration voyage for my oceanography class, we dredged the bottom of the frisco bay to see what kind of organisms were down there. It was sad to see that the vast majority of crabs, worms, and other living things we pulled up are invasive species.

keelhaulinrob
12-14-2007, 08:16 PM
real deal were do you go to skool?

realdeal
12-14-2007, 09:13 PM
san jose state, but the bay voyage was a one day thing out of redwood city i think. I know its a little off topic, but this is an awesome boatride for children and teens to learn about the bay hands on, what lives in it, its history, and how we can protect it in the future. Some of the information is very discouraging, but these people are very dedicated to educating and saving the bay. It is more aimed towards elementary and middle school kids so this is a great idea for parents and teachers.
http://www.cmiregistration.com/user/splash__org__261.htm

basil
12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I guess that's why they don't let use take dungeness out of the bay, because we would find out there aren't any!!!

dimpala95
12-16-2007, 11:53 AM
I guess that's why they don't let use take dungeness out of the bay, because we would find out there aren't any!!!

There are planty of dungies in the bay. Heck, I even had some kling-ons on my bait trap a couple weeks ago. They would have been keepers if they were outside The Gate.

Crass
12-16-2007, 04:37 PM
isnt the reason we cant keep bay dungies coz the bay is a breeding ground for em?

Fish_R_Us
01-10-2008, 03:27 PM
I believe the reason why Dungies are protected in SF bay is so that Fisherman's Wharf (and it's whole infrastructure) won't go go out of business. Why is that you are allowed to keep any other species except dungies? The answer is political.

Because if everybody knew you could catch them yourselves at a # of public access areas for free, all without even needing a fishing license - then more would be doing that instead of paying $30 a crab plate at Scomas.

I'd be willing to bet that one couldn't tell the difference between dungie vs. Red Crab meat, if taken the blindfold taste test.

tarbuckle
01-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I believe the reason why Dungies are protected in SF bay is so that Fisherman's Wharf (and it's whole infrastructure) won't go go out of business. Why is that you are allowed to keep any other species except dungies? The answer is political.

Because if everybody knew you could catch them yourselves at a # of public access areas for free, all without even needing a fishing license - then more would be doing that instead of paying $30 a crab plate at Scomas.

I'd be willing to bet that one couldn't tell the difference between dungie vs. Red Crab meat, if taken the blindfold taste test.

For me: The Red crab always seemed to be 'Sweeter" than the dungees

Crass
01-10-2008, 06:37 PM
i know whatcha mean. im down with Reds anyday.

MB_Kevin
01-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I found this on a website. Might be why the dungies are more popular at the stores ;D

They are good eating, like their relatives the Dungeness Crab, but are much nastier, and will pinch right through a neoprene glove if given half a chance.

Crass
01-10-2008, 10:31 PM
AND the big ones can reach around their backs and getcha! no place to hold on. little buggers.

sethonious
01-11-2008, 12:19 PM
I think dungies are more popular because of the meat yield. A dungie is 24% meat, a red crab is about 13% meat, and for rock crab, I can't even find it. However the most expensive of all king crabs are about 80% meat. Cost= amout of work for meat.

Toxic_Waste
01-12-2008, 07:57 PM
The one time I have eaten a red, I thought the meat was tastier than the dungie, but it sure took a lot of shell pickin' to get at the low yield. The body and legs were barely worth the effort. I was considering just keeping one claw and throwing the crabs (red ones) back, but I have heard that if you don't twist off the claw "just right," the crab could die.

Also, I am not sure how Fish and Game feels about the practice of releasing crabs and just keeping claws, as how would they be able to tell if those crabs were of legal size? It's probably illegal, I figure.

Fish_R_Us
01-14-2008, 05:01 PM
The meat from Red Crabs (vs the market crabs) does appear to be sweeter to me. The body segments do have adequate meat on the large ones. It's the brown Rock Crabs that have big claws but virtually no meat in the body segments. I usually throw them back without liberating a claw.