PDA

View Full Version : Fuller

steevo44
08-10-2010, 08:50 AM
Has anyone been out to Fuller recently? I have not been out there yet this year, but am thinking about heading up there if things are going well. THANKS!!!!

Legalbeagle
08-10-2010, 12:04 PM
I'll be there in my kayak this weekend. I'm sure there are plenty of 10" stockers to be had!

paokhang
08-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Last time I was there on July 4th that lake had a bunch of debri drifting around the dam, don't know it it's cleared up yet or not. Mostly browns in the water so bring worms, spinners and kastmasters.

Jfitalia
08-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Last time I was there on July 4th that lake had a bunch of debri drifting around the dam, don't know it it's cleared up yet or not. Mostly browns in the water so bring worms, spinners and kastmasters.

The lake is stocked with rainbows regularly so it can't be mostly brown's

steevo44
08-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I remember catching about 25 fish last year from my pontoon. i would say that about 15 of them were browns. I was drifting crawlers and woolybuggers. I just wanted to see if things were as good this year. The fish were VERY small last year

westcoasterjim
08-10-2010, 09:23 PM
There are some nice browns there -- it's one of my favorite lakes. last year my wife, daughter, and I caught 67 trout in about three hours -- C&R -- had to stop because the wife and daughters wrists were spasming from reeling LOL no joke! sure was a fun day.

trout wrangler
08-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Was up there two weeks ago, it was very slow got 3 rainbows about 12 inches from shore with crickets, nothing on powerbait or worms. Didn't see any others catching anything, I know it hasn't been stocked as much as last year. Hope this helps

Cofaxtroutman
08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
I wouldn't say mostly browns, but there are a lot of browns in there. I have had days where all I caught were browns.

The lake is stocked with rainbows regularly so it can't be mostly brown's

Legalbeagle
08-11-2010, 12:07 PM
They stocked a lot of browns last year. I don't what they stocked this year. The norm is rainbows, but I have caught stocker brookies there several years ago.

paokhang
08-11-2010, 07:31 PM
The times that I've been there I've only caught browns and the ones I've seen swimming around are all browns as well...so I would say ditch the powerbait and try a crawler to better your chances of getting a bite. I think DFG stocks different species for different places?

Fishery Biologist
08-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Fuller has been historically stocked with Rainbows and Browns, and in the long ago past Brooks. This year it will only be stocked with Rainbows and is scheduled to receive the same amount it did last year. There are plenty of holdover Browns in the lake but they are much more difficult to catch after they learn how to survive in the wild.

Fishery Biologist

michaelnel
08-13-2010, 04:24 AM
I fished Fuller all day on August 4th and every fish I caught or saw was a brown. I caught 9 fish, 8-16", trolling and cast & strip with a fly rod.

Legalbeagle
08-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Fuller's an excellent fly-fishing lake. It's relatively shallow and has wide variety of insects, with plenty of vegetation cover. Personally, I don't fly fish (lack of patience and/or skill). Drifting worms in the inlet is very effective in the early hours.

Legalbeagle
08-16-2010, 07:58 AM
I was there Saturday. Slow. A few fish caught at the darn. I got a couple of browns at the canal inlet. The good news was the lake was not packed like usual...just a few people here and there.

Pecar
08-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Is the inlet also the dam area, or are you guys talking about the north point of the lake

michaelnel
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
The inlet is at the northwest end of the lake, the dam is at the southwest end.

R-dog135
08-20-2010, 03:11 PM
went to fuller yesterday. they must have stocked it recently because there was a school of 7-11 inch rainbows swimming around the dam. they were bitting the best on silver and blue kastmaster. i went on my boat to fish the current coming out of the stream. caught 3 browns and 12 bows. about half where on spinners and the rest where on nightcrawlers. also a few weeks ago i caught a 14 inch brown on a nightcrawler.

michaelnel
08-21-2010, 02:26 PM
they must have stocked it recently because there was a school of 7-11 inch rainbows swimming around the dam.

According to California Department of Fish and Game Hatchery Fish Planting for Region 2 - North Central (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Hatcheries/FishPlanting/NorthCentral.asp) they planted it this week.