PDA

View Full Version : southern cali fishing seasons?

tattooedfish1
01-03-2008, 06:31 AM
Hey guys , I used to fish from Santa Monica down to Redondo Beach YEARS ago,I was just wondering if you could fill me in on what to catch,when,where? Sand bass,Spotted bay bass,Calicos,White Seabass,cudas, and my favorite liteline fish bonito.I know its to cold now but Im thinking ahead for spring through summer.Thx . :-?

triggerfish
01-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Yep it should start after it stops raining,and warms up. The rockfish is closed Jan,Feb. So its whitefish,sheephead,halibut,seabass for now.

tattooedfish1
01-03-2008, 12:02 PM
Im on the central coast right now(monterey,santa cruz areas) but want to go back to my old stompin grounds.The fishing is totally different up here,not a big fan.....I mean I used to catch mackeral for bait and sometimes had a hard time keepin em off the hook,over here theres a specific season and its normally at night! WIERD....I GUESS THERES NO PLACE LIKE HOME.

Hooky_Time
01-03-2008, 08:31 PM
I grew up in the Huntington-Seal Beach areas and fished So Cal salt all the time in my grandpa's boat....Catalina, Horseshoe Kelp, etc. As mentioned on a previous post, it's very slow right now in the local waters (San Diego boats heading South are still catching some exotics). All of the local cattle boats are just catching little sculpins and sheepheads in 100 feet of water right now. The nice calicos and sand bass will show up in the shallows in May. When the water warms a bit after that the cudas, yellowtail and white seabass will show up. My favorite is to troll big rapalas in a mackerel pattern outside the kelp patties and wait for a big one to grab on. Alamitos Bay/Marine Stadium in Long Beach has a good launch ramp and it's not too far of a run out to Bill's bait barge just inside the break water.