PDA

View Full Version : New Second Rod Stamp and Report Card Requirements

metalmouth
12-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Glenn

New Second Rod Stamp and Report Card Requirements
Today at 2:50pm Hello

Some of you may know me from my posts on the Sniffer. My name is Glenn Underwood and I work for the Department of Fish and Game as the License Program Analyst for the sport fishing, waterfowl and lifetime license programs. I am also an avid outdoorsman and a fellow Sniffer.

There are several new regulations for 2008 that affect the sport fishing report cards and a change in law that affects the Second Rod Stamp.

Assembly Bill 1729 passed, changing the areas where a Second Rod Stamp is valid. The new law takes effect January 1, 2008. Under the new law, any person with a Second Rod Stamp may fish with two rods in inland waters, except for waters where barbless hooks or artificial lures are required. On the delta, inland waters begin east of the Carquinez Bridge.

On December 7, 2007, the Fish and Game Commission adopted regulations that affect all sport fishing report cards. Here is a summary of the regulation changes affecting report cards:

- A new Spiny Lobster Report Card will be required for any person taking lobster beginning in the Fall of 2008. The Spiny Lobster Report Card fee is $7.90.

- Abalone divers will be required to tag all abalone taken. The Abalone Report Card will come with 24 small waterproof tags. The tags are similar to the tags that come with the Sturgeon Report Card.

- The Salmon Punch Card is renamed as the Klamath-Trinity Salmon Report Card. It is no longer required for ocean waters. (It is only required on the Klamath-Trinity River System.) The regulations now require anglers to make entries on the report card before fishing at each location and much more information is collected. It is similar to the Steelhead Report Card. Anglers may now purchase a second Klamath-Trinity Salmon Report Card, after completing a first card and returning it to the Department of Fish and Game.

- All anglers must have the applicable report card in possession while fishing for steelhead, sturgeon, abalone, spiny lobster or for salmon in the Klamath-Trinity River System. This includes anglers who are not required to have a sport fishing license, such as: children, every person fishing on free fishing days, and every person fishing from a public pier in ocean waters.

The date that the new report card requirements will take effect is dependant upon the final filing with the Office of Administrative Law.

The new regulations will be included in the sport fishing regulation booklets (available in February).

If you have any questions about the new regulations, please call me.

Glenn Underwood
Department of Fish and Game
License Program Analyst
(916) 928-5841

MB_Kevin
12-30-2007, 10:57 PM
All anglers must have the applicable report card in possession while fishing for steelhead, sturgeon, abalone, spiny lobster or for salmon in the Klamath-Trinity River System. This includes anglers who are not required to have a sport fishing license, such as: children, every person fishing on free fishing days, and every person fishing from a public pier in ocean waters.

I can't see that happening at the piers around here. *Ive been out at coyote point with a tun of people fishing for sturgeon without a license and now they will have to stop and get a report card. *Maybe it will thin out the crowd. If someone enforces it.
*I forgot to ask about one when I got my license. >:(

metalmouth
12-31-2007, 12:36 PM
No choice now. They will be enforcing where they believe it's easy pickings. "Line up for your citation." It will be a money sport for awhile. :o ::) ;)

GN.
12-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Thanks for posting this. I called the Licence and Revanue Branch and was told over the phone that I'd have to wait till March 1st. Everything else indicated Jan 1st. Thanks for the clarification.

MB_Kevin
01-01-2008, 09:55 PM
No choice now. They will be enforcing where they believe it's easy pickings. "Line up for your citation." It will be a money sport for awhile. *:o ::) ;)
I was so glad one day. We went fishing here at the Brisbane Tubes. We usually fish right by the tubes but it was packed with people. We made a small hike down the road and started fishing. DFG showed up and no one else had a license. They made everyone but us leave. We had the place to ourselves. I wish they had given out some tickets so the word would be out not to fish there without a license so we could always have the place to ourselves :-? Still shocked no one got tickets but glad they had to leave.

metalmouth
01-02-2008, 05:07 AM
I'm shocked as well. If they would hand out tickets at the base level maybe we wouldn't have so many people breaking other F&G codes. :-/

isdaann
01-02-2008, 07:08 AM
At Antioch Pier, even the city cops can give you a fishing ticket, maybe they should encourge it there.

EastBayAngler
01-02-2008, 05:06 PM
At Antioch Pier, even the city cops can give you a fishing ticket, maybe they should encourge it there.

The Antioch Pier, being a 24 hour park and pier, is a regular beat for the APD. They keep the drug dealing down and enforce the F&G while their looking for other mischief. People living under the bridge kinda stuff! ;D ;D ;D Thats why they are there.

A few years ago they didnt stop so much, and it looked like a car show every night in the parking lot! Although I've never had my stuff broken into, Im glad they stop by! ;) 8-)

GCinGV
01-03-2008, 09:05 AM
One question I have, is the second rod stamp valid in the Napa above the 37 bridge, which I believe is also considered fresh water although it is below the Carquinez Bridge?
GC