PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best Eel?

Polebrother
08-18-2010, 09:44 AM
I've heard that one should be careful when selecting eel for sturgeon. Apparently there are good eel and bad eel. Can someone shed some light on this assertion...true or false? If some eel is better than others, where can I find the best and how will I know it's the right choice? Thanks.

FishWisher
08-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Be sure to get the lamprey, which has the circular, sucking type mouth and seven gill slits along the sides of the body near the head. If you find an eel with a jaw type mouth, that ain't what you want.

I watch for freezer burn, too. Those are white blotches on the skin. They all come frozen, at least that's all I've seen. And some look pretty bad from their long time in the freezer.

bigeasy8240
08-18-2010, 02:14 PM
What about monkeyfaced eels? Can we use them for sturgeon fishing? :cyclop4lf::huh::hellohello9il::vrolijk_26::yoda23 uk:

IRISHANGLER01
08-18-2010, 07:20 PM
lamprey eel is the only one that I have seen sold in the bait stores and it works well. It should specify on the bag what type of eel that it is if you are not sure. Just make sure to sort through them all to find the biggest one packaged so u get the most for your money.

BIG_ONE
08-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Best eel? Lamprey hands down. Now there is 2 different type of lamprey you will see out there in the bait shop. The skinny gray ones and the large black ones. Both of them work well no doubt. But to my knowledge, the black ones tend to last longer, have more blood, but also much more expensive. Freezer burn or not, they will work just as good. Even a rotten lamprey sitting in the sun would still produce fish...seriously.

tees cabo
08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
be careful of the ones with holes punched down the sides of them, i believe them ones have the blood drained out of them, and to me are useless

BIG_ONE
08-18-2010, 09:48 PM
be careful of the ones with holes punched down the sides of them, i believe them ones have the blood drained out of them, and to me are useless
Uhh? Every single one of them have holes on the sides of them. Or do you mean holes along the entire length of the lamprey from head to tail? If it is from head to tail, then that may be possible. But if it is closer by the head, no. That is natural...no blood was drain from it.

catchayou
08-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Look for bloody looking ones. Also when they thaw in the bag save the blood. I like to have an extra leader with a bait, either plain eel or a combo like ghost/eel soaking in that blood for awhile before I chuck it out. Believe me it works! Keep that blood in the bag and throw your used bait back in the bag and refreeze it. You can also add scent like sturgeon frenzy. I prefer just the eel juice though. Ive found that the bites on eel are violent like they try to rip your pole out of the boat.

FishWisher
08-21-2010, 05:10 AM
I haven't seen a bloody one in a long time. Where do you get them, catchayou?

BIG_ONE
08-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Look for bloody looking ones. Also when they thaw in the bag save the blood. I like to have an extra leader with a bait, either plain eel or a combo like ghost/eel soaking in that blood for awhile before I chuck it out. Believe me it works! Keep that blood in the bag and throw your used bait back in the bag and refreeze it. You can also add scent like sturgeon frenzy. I prefer just the eel juice though. Ive found that the bites on eel are violent like they try to rip your pole out of the boat.
I kind of find that true in some cases too.

catchayou
08-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Dale, Freeport Bait has good eels during sturgeon season and also the seafood market on Marysville Blvd in Del Paso Heights

*Deltadog*
08-28-2010, 09:32 AM
The newest thing I've seen lately is this happy hooker bloody lamprey that comes in a baby food jar. I'm a devout eel man myself, but have yet to try this stuff. Any insight?

nhbfishin
08-28-2010, 12:53 PM
To answer the initial question. I have tried the happy hooker Eel with no luck. I do the best with a well preserved frozen lamprey. I would get mine on thorton rd in stockton or castrovalley blvd in castro valley.

Radical
09-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I ordered some from these people Cured/Fresh Uncured Salmon Eggs/Lamprey Eel - Welcome to Xtreme Northwest Bait Co LLC Quality Fishing Baits, Cure, Scents, and Attractants (http://www.xtremenorthwest.com/). Their stuff was also carried by Castrovalley bait and tackle. I don't know if that is still true. The people at Northwest could tell you about that and other places that carry it.

john_heater
09-11-2010, 02:12 PM
Try the asian fish markets. i have a store called SF seafood in sacramento off 65th. and stockton. they have alot of fresh and frozen eel. i am not sure if this is the same stuff ... but they are about 1-2 foot long, very slimy and they cost about $3-$4 dollars. it looked like the same stuff the bait shops were selling for $20 - $40 dollars. its also the best place to get fresh (dead) bait fish and shrimp. the chicken livers are fresh too and much easier to work with when baiting a hook.

BIG_ONE
09-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Try the asian fish markets. i have a store called SF seafood in sacramento off 65th. and stockton. they have alot of fresh and frozen eel. i am not sure if this is the same stuff ... but they are about 1-2 foot long, very slimy and they cost about $3-$4 dollars. it looked like the same stuff the bait shops were selling for $20 - $40 dollars. its also the best place to get fresh (dead) bait fish and shrimp. the chicken livers are fresh too and much easier to work with when baiting a hook.

I know which store your talking about, and they are not the same stuff. Totally different...

drinkinbuddy
09-12-2010, 06:51 PM
My take is simple on this one. Do your research on here as to what type or color of eel to get and then go to your local bait shop and buy it. It wont kill ya to just spend a few extra bucks where this type of bait is concerned due to the longevity of it. One eel will last you quite a long time versus the shrimp bait which don't last period, due to pesky crabs and whatnot. Your local business people/ baitstore owner will give you the expertise and service that justifies the additional cost and you might save a job if enough folks would do it. I know that the shrimp baits are expensive and they can go quick but in this case I say just do it. Now go catch a big one and post it so I can bug you for the next hot spot...:Gone_fishing:

XtremeNorthwest
12-18-2010, 08:57 AM
I ordered some from these people Cured/Fresh Uncured Salmon Eggs/Lamprey Eel - Welcome to Xtreme Northwest Bait Co LLC Quality Fishing Baits, Cure, Scents, and Attractants (http://www.xtremenorthwest.com/). Their stuff was also carried by Castrovalley bait and tackle. I don't know if that is still true. The people at Northwest could tell you about that and other places that carry it.

Not trying to advertise but When I saw this, I had to post. If anyone needs help call me. I have Lamprey Eel, which I have two bait distributors in California buying Lamprey Eel which is selling them to your local bait shops or you can buy them from me which I also sell to the public. I have good reports about the eel I sell catching fish. These eel are what the sturgeon are looking for. I also sell King Salmon Roe, and Other baits. I am starting to sell my powder scents also which I make, Which Also work very well. Don't forget to call if you have any questions.