PDA

View Full Version : Volt & amp gauge help

westcoasterjim
08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
Need your help

I am in the process of install two Optima blue top batts - d34m's - Ran two postive cables and one ground which run to a Perko switch. Ised a jumper ground from batt 1 too batt 2.
Question, would it be smart to install both volt an amp meters? possibly use a three postion toggle switch so I can switch from batt 1 to batt 2

also, what should the amp gauge read up to? 10 - 20 - 30 amps? http://www.imhooked.com/forumsyabb/Templates/Forum/default/undecided.gif

Sorry for the rambling, Jim http://www.imhooked.com/forumsyabb/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

Wizard
08-19-2010, 07:25 AM
An amp gauge is used typically to determine if a single circuit is drawing too much power. Typically the fuse will blow and indicate an issue if the circuit is properly fused. Amp gauges are not typically used on boats.

A volt meter will indicate the state of charge of the batteries. Depending on the size and type you can determine if the battery has a 100% charge @12.70 volts, 80% charge @12.46 volts, 70% charge @12.36 volts. This will help you to determine if you have enough battery charge left to say start the main motor.

Some but not all Perko switches have the Battery 1, Battery 2, Both positions. The two battery switch allows the use of one battery and leaves the second as a reserve. A toggle switch for the volt meter would not be needed as the Perko switch position would determine which battery was being metered.

Some fish finders / gps units have the capacity to meter the voltage of the circuit. You might save a few $$ by learning how to display and use that feature.

Radical
08-19-2010, 02:35 PM
If you install a voltmeter br sure to makr a disconnect sswitch for the meter so it won't continually drain the battery when the meter isn't in use.

westcoasterjim
08-19-2010, 03:57 PM
An amp gauge is used typically to determine if a single circuit is drawing too much power. Typically the fuse will blow and indicate an issue if the circuit is properly fused. Amp gauges are not typically used on boats.

A volt meter will indicate the state of charge of the batteries. Depending on the size and type you can determine if the battery has a 100% charge @12.70 volts, 80% charge @12.46 volts, 70% charge @12.36 volts. This will help you to determine if you have enough battery charge left to say start the main motor.

Some but not all Perko switches have the Battery 1, Battery 2, Both positions. The two battery switch allows the use of one battery and leaves the second as a reserve. A toggle switch for the volt meter would not be needed as the Perko switch position would determine which battery was being metered.

Some fish finders / gps units have the capacity to meter the voltage of the circuit. You might save a few $$ by learning how to display and use that feature.

If you install a voltmeter br sure to makr a disconnect sswitch for the meter so it won't continually drain the battery when the meter isn't in use.

Great imfo guys! The perko switch I have has batt 1, batt 2, all, and off. Question -- would the volt meter still drain the batt(s) if the perko switch is in the off postion?

thanks, Jim

Radical
08-19-2010, 07:12 PM
The volt meter has two wires. One will go to the positive (+) terminal. The other wire will have to go to the negative terminal (-). However your perko switch is wired, one of the wires on the meter has to be broken or open to stop drawing current and stpo reading.

Wizard
08-19-2010, 08:57 PM
Great info guys! The perko switch I have has batt 1, batt 2, all, and off. Question -- would the volt meter still drain the batt(s) if the Perko switch is in the off postion?

thanks, Jim

No, the volt meter would not drain the batteries if the Perko switch is in the off position and the positive side of the volt meter is on the load side of the Perko switch.

westcoasterjim
08-20-2010, 02:39 PM
No, the volt meter would not drain the batteries if the Perko switch is in the off position and the positive side of the volt meter is on the load side of the Perko switch.

The Perko switch has three terminals batt 1, batt 2, and common. If I'm correctly understanding the switch, would the load side be the common terminal? which is also the terminal that the pos cable from the motor goes too?

Thanks for your help, Jim

klnfish
08-20-2010, 08:34 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing and found and ordered the Marine Tech Battery Guage for two batteries. It won't drain your battery as it has a momentary switch to test each battery.