PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Father/Son Trip on the West Carson (pics) - Please Read to End!

Marinpaul
08-21-2010, 04:14 PM
My son and I headed up to the West Carson River yesterday morning bright and early for our last outing before school starts. We brought our tent, some energy bars, some bananas and 2.5 gallons of water. We figured we'd find a place to camp for the night and try a new place to eat dinner.

We hit the first bridge at around 10:30 am, and to our surprise nobody was there. We looked down from the bridge and saw lots of trout--mostly big rainbows and good size browns. So we scurried down quickly and started fishing with worms. The fish didn't seem interested.

My son put on a lure and had some followers. And then all of a sudden he starts screaming "Dad, I got a big one . . I got a big one . . ." Sure enough he's got a 4-5+ pound rainbow on my ultralight pole with 4lb test. The pole's bent in half and he has little control over the fish, although he's doing his best. After about five minutes the fish headed downstream toward the overflow into the next hole. I'm yelling for him to try and keep the fish in the main hole, but the fish had too much power and off he went into the next hole. My son tried to move with him to the next hole, but it all happened too fast and the line snapped--the fish was gone. My son shed some tears and looked like he was in shock. I gave him a big pat on the back and told him everyone loses fish and to keep at it. He nodded his head but didn't look convinced.

A few minutes later I got a nice big rainbow to take my worm near the bottom. My son did a great job netting the fish and he was genuinely happy for me/us. I was impressed with his resilience after losing his big one. Here is a picture of the fish, which was 4lb 7 oz.

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/Carson%20River%20Trip%20August%202010/photo1-1.jpg

After that, the bite was off and we headed to one of our favorite bridges. When we got there both sides had people so we started hiking downstream. We caught of a bunch of nice planter size Rainbows while wading and hopping from rock to rock. I love fishing with my son and sharing these special times. We worked our way to two back-to-back holes with one big Rainbow in each. We threw worms, lures and salmon eggs at them. We had a hit on the lure from both fish, but neither one stuck.

So we headed to a spot between bridges where hiking is involved. We spent about an hour there and enjoyed the beautiful pools and the peace and quiet (we didn't see another soul). We got one nice planter Brown and a couple of small Rainbows. But again, the hunt and the scenery with my son were fantastic.

Then we headed back downstream to two bridges we had never fished before. It was kind of crowded, we didn't see a single fish, and nobody looked to be catching anything, so we packed up and headed to another bridge further downstream. We saw lots of big, beautiful Rainbows but none of them seemed very interested in our offerings. We did get another nice planter Brown, and by now it was getting pretty dark. So we headed to the back-to-back holes to see if they could be tempted by our lures again. That didn't work, but near dark I got a 2lb 13oz Rainbow to take my worm. It was a cool fight, as he headed upstream to the next hole, where my son netted him perfectly. Not too surprisingly, my son was less enthusiastic about this fish and really wanted to catch a big one himself.

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/Carson%20River%20Trip%20August%202010/photo2-1.jpg

We called it quits for the night and headed into Markleeville to find dinner. We arrived at the tavern/restaurant just before closing at 8:50 pm. The waitress seemed irritated at first and then her professionalism kicked in and she seated us. We ordered quick, had a fantastic meal, and were not even the last ones out of the restaurant. And I gave her a huge tip to boot! Good stuff. We then hunkered down at the Kit Carson Campground for the night, and set the alarm for 5:30 am.

We started at the first hole where my son lost his big fish, and they were biting lures like crazy. My son got a nice planter Brown, but missed the hit from one of the big Rainbows. We fished for a while and then I hooked up with another nice Rainbow on a Rooster Tail, this one going 3lb 13oz:

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/Carson%20River%20Trip%20August%202010/photo3.jpg

The bite was off again, so headed downstream to our favorite bridge again. There were people on both sides again, so we decided to head further downstream to another bridge we had only fished once before with very limited success. Only three people were there, and there was plenty of room on the downstream side of the bridge. And we could see large Rainbows swimming and hanging by the rocks. I started tossing my Rooster Tail and a few minutes later I caught my biggest fish of the trip, a fat 5lb 6oz Rainbow:

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/Carson%20River%20Trip%20August%202010/photo4.jpg

By now my son is exceedingly frustrated, and my suggestions to stay positive are falling on deaf ears. I notice he is not really working hard any more, and I call him on it. He responds well and starts working his worm with abandon, trying different weights and locations to try and get the worm to the fish with the best presentation. His patience pays off and he catches a beautiful Brown that fought like crazy:

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/Carson%20River%20Trip%20August%202010/photo5.jpg

We caught a couple more small Browns and were getting ready to head off to another spot. My son is still working hard and tells me he is making his last cast. Once again I hear a scream of "Dad, I got a big one!!" A monster jumped out of the water and kept my son's pole bent in half. I said "Jake, you got THE big one!". He fought him for five minutes and then fish started heading downstream. Although he now had his pole with 6lb test, he couldn't keep him from heading to the next hole.

I chased the fish with the net while my son, half wading and half swimming, worked himself to the top of the next hole. Unlike the day before, the line didn't snap and the you could see the fish getting tired. After another couple of minutes I scooped him up with net, yelling a guttural "Yes!!!" He was huge, and our fishing neighbors (who were kind enough to lend me their long/large net), clapped and whooped in appreciation.

We got out the scale and weighed the beauty in at a tad over 8 lb!!!!

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/Carson%20River%20Trip%20August%202010/photo1.jpg

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad217/Jakesandwich/Carson%20River%20Trip%20August%202010/photo2.jpg

Todd, from the Carson River Resort, said he was the largest fish of the year on the Carson, and took my son's name and City for the newspaper. I am so proud of my son for hanging in there when things got tough!

For those of you that have read my posts in the past, you know that we throw back nearly all of our trout so the next fisherman can also have the thrill of the catch. And while we did that with all of my fish, we kept this monster and are planning on having him mounted.

I could not have imagined a better trip or time with my son. Tight lines to all.

Paul

Fishbucket
08-21-2010, 06:35 PM
:excited: Whoo !:clap::clap: Way to go JAKE !

That fish is a log.

Good on you for getting a mount to remember it with.

I'd take some pics of it all the way around.. Eat it the way god intended it and have a Fiberglass replica made. but thats just me... it's your fish do with it what you will.

Got beatdown... then put the wood to it !....

Again, Congrats Jake !

dilbeck
08-21-2010, 06:40 PM
That is really cool. Way to go father and son!

dilbeck
08-21-2010, 07:07 PM
I'd take some pics of it all the way around.. Eat it the way god intended it and have a Fiberglass replica made. but thats just me... it's your fish do with it what you will.

+1, and take some measurements - like length, girth, etc.

auraleedal
08-21-2010, 08:33 PM
What a GREAT father and son trip to end the summer. Fabulous fish and thanks for the photos. My daughter and I were there on Friday morning early and had similar experiences. The first three monster fish we hooked broke our lines. Then we wised up and managed to land some and released them. We too had a great day. Thanks to Alpine County (I think) for planting those great fish. Congratulations to you and your son on your memorable catch.

JTroutMan
08-22-2010, 06:31 AM
What a GREAT father and son trip to end the summer. Fabulous fish and thanks for the photos. My daughter and I were there on Friday morning early and had similar experiences. The first three monster fish we hooked broke our lines. Then we wised up and managed to land some and released them. We too had a great day. Thanks to Alpine County (I think) for planting those great fish. Congratulations to you and your son on your memorable catch.
Nice,
If Alpine plants them, they must have a better "holding tank" as those trout were very colorful looking fish, one's you'd think had been eating crustations and looking much like holdover or wild, unlike many planters with no color.

Captn ofthe Crest
08-22-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm sure your son is hooked for life now! All awesome fish, nice work guys.

h8z2luze
08-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Holy crap! I thought I had a good trout fishing day! Thats amazing! Great job. Your smallest one made all of mine look like minnows haha.

Captain Compassion
08-22-2010, 10:21 PM
http://img319.imageshack.us/img319/6594/areportmq5.gif

Way to go Dad. This trip will be remembered for a long time. Those are beautiful fish. Bet he'll want to come back next year.

CC

GNappers
08-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Ba-Bum! Ba-Bum! That is my heart pounding. Great report Paul. Sound's like some "River Run's Through It" action. I am loading up the car and heading there right now!

SuckerPunch
08-23-2010, 04:10 AM
Not to diminish your awesome day of fishing, but it's neither a good idea to take trout (especially hatchery fish) out of the water nor put your fingers in their gills if you plan to release them. It's just as important that we pass down the proper way to release fish to our children if we're catch-and-release fishing as it is to show 'em how to read the water and fool, hook, and play the fish.