PDA

View Full Version : Sad sad catfisherman I am...

jackelmyer
08-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Skunked every weekend for 3 weeks running now. Haven't caught a keeper this year (past 3 months really). Was using Night Crawlers but now mainly Chicken Livers seem to be where I get the interest. Course, only midget cat's are interested. Been all over Sacramento Region. Perhaps I'm not meant to catch the kitty.

:( :cry:

h8z2luze
08-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Your not the only one. I have been 4 times this year and nothing at all for me or anyone I went with except small bites on chicken liver and mackerel.

tonsofun
08-22-2010, 08:23 PM
I pretty new to fishing the river and sloughs, I use clams as my number one go to bait for cats and between me and my buddy we always get at least one keeper. Maybe you should try clams...

h8z2luze
08-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Cant hurt I suppose.

GNappers
08-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Fished Lake Sonoma overnight for no bites then I fished again by the bridge for zero bites and on Thursday I fished at Nicassio with my niece and we didn't get 1 hit. Besides that I have only fished 3-4 more times this summer and have not caught anything. I sure miss catching salmon and trout and rock cod. I ended up throwing out my chovies and chicken livers and will try again this week with new bait, hopefully it was the bait's fault and not me.

Bigg A
08-23-2010, 08:41 AM
Skunked every weekend for 3 weeks running now. Haven't caught a keeper this year (past 3 months really). Was using Night Crawlers but now mainly Chicken Livers seem to be where I get the interest. Course, only midget cat's are interested. Been all over Sacramento Region. Perhaps I'm not meant to catch the kitty.

:( :cry:

Your fishing some good areas around sac!!! Get some 65# PP if u dont have any already and throw under a tree or next to it.....or try under a bridge :winkfs::winkfs::winkfs::winkfs:

jackelmyer
08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Your fishing some good areas around sac!!! Get some 65# PP if u dont have any already and throw under a tree or next to it.....or try under a bridge :winkfs::winkfs::winkfs::winkfs:

Sorry, what exactly is 65# PP?

h8z2luze
08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

jackelmyer
08-23-2010, 11:55 AM

Other than the what's a 65# PP question, when you say throw under a tree, does it matter how far from shore? I've read cat's are fond of bridges, trees, any structure to hang out next to under water, but I also heard they like deeper area's in the summer. These kind of conflict with each other. Most tree/structures in the sloughs are near the shore and range from the 2'-5' deep. So i've lately been tossing closer to the middle of the sloughs/rivers to get to deeper water. Should I still stick next to the 2'-5' deep water when there may be a cat friendly structure around? And does that ivy stuff growing in the slough past Knights Landing Dam count as a cat friendly hang out for keepers? Does for stupid midget catfish. :-/

h8z2luze
08-23-2010, 12:18 PM
I went ahead and got my 2 pole tag and threw in a line in the middle of the channel and one near the shore and I got more bites from the one in the middle. Thats just my experience. Although the sutter bypass is not very wide either. Plus I didnt catch anything haha just a bunch of little bites with no hook sets at all.

jackelmyer
08-23-2010, 01:04 PM
I went ahead and got my 2 pole tag and threw in a line in the middle of the channel and one near the shore and I got more bites from the one in the middle. Thats just my experience. Although the sutter bypass is not very wide either. Plus I didnt catch anything haha just a bunch of little bites with no hook sets at all.

If I keep getting little bites and little fishes I'm going to try and invent midget catfish on a stick.

ssgtpetersen
08-23-2010, 04:24 PM
big ant ment 65 pound power pro and try live bait if you want big fish ,i mean they didnt get big by eating things that arent swiming around them try craydads , bluegills , mudsuckers ,jumbo minnows ,and big chunks of baits ,i say that because you wouldnt fish for sharks with a worm . Also stick to cover if you want big fish? The bigger the fish the more skittish they are like in stead of fishing on a sand bar go and fish in the curent with all the dead trees in it you my not get a lot of fish but what you will get will be one thats worth the time and effort . hell loook at my pic thoughs were on live bluegills and for comparison im 320 pounds and 6ft

Bigg A
08-23-2010, 05:02 PM
big ant ment 65 pound power pro and try live bait if you want big fish ,i mean they didnt get big by eating things that arent swiming around them try craydads , bluegills , mudsuckers ,jumbo minnows ,and big chunks of baits ,i say that because you wouldnt fish for sharks with a worm . Also stick to cover if you want big fish? The bigger the fish the more skittish they are like in stead of fishing on a sand bar go and fish in the curent with all the dead trees in it you my not get a lot of fish but what you will get will be one thats worth the time and effort . hell loook at my pic thoughs were on live bluegills and for comparison im 320 pounds and 6ft

He took the words right out of my mouth... I agree with everything he says except I believe that he is 321 pounds...lol. Had to get a little humor out of that buddy!!! but yeah, I mainly fish cover. Catfish are not always deep in the summer...they will hang out sometimes in about 2ft of water under a tree or tullies waiting to ambush something. I fish alot of logs and bridge pilings...I lose alot of gear but its worth it. You 2 guys are fishing the right areas just gotta switch it up...use natural bait. 90% of the cats I catch are in the daytime....I see no need to night fish for them. Trust me....they are easier to find in the daytime. A small raft or aluminum boat wouldn't hurt either.:winkfs:

h8z2luze
08-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Isn't using bluegill illegal?

jackelmyer
08-23-2010, 08:06 PM
excellent info and I appriciate it. Though I have one more question about fishing in covered areas. If you're fishing in the day, that makes total sense, but what about night fishing? I read that catfish stick to the cover in part for the cooler water. But when it's night and dark, then it's all kind of cover isn't it? I guess then just go for the currents or is there another tip for night fishing? Just stick to the covered areas in general? Probably follows the "ambush preadator" point that was made earlier.

Again, thanks for the info guys! It's greatly appriciated!

Bigg A
08-24-2010, 12:40 AM

No..... you can use it at the body of water where you caught it.

Bigg A
08-24-2010, 12:54 AM
excellent info and I appriciate it. Though I have one more question about fishing in covered areas. If you're fishing in the day, that makes total sense, but what about night fishing? I read that catfish stick to the cover in part for the cooler water. But when it's night and dark, then it's all kind of cover isn't it? I guess then just go for the currents or is there another tip for night fishing? Just stick to the covered areas in general? Probably follows the "ambush preadator" point that was made earlier.

Again, thanks for the info guys! It's greatly appriciated!

When I use to fish at night, I still used natural baits with the exception of garlic chicken liver. At night the cats are on the prowl, so that means they could be anywhere!!! Now you gotta wait for them to find you instead of hunting them down in the daylight hours. At night....they roam alot more and when the sun comes up they seem to head for that good dark cover. Also at night, every little potato chip catfish will be ready to pick at your bait....thats why I rather hunt the momma and daddies down in the daytime. Sutters bypass, lisbon and knights landing are loaded with BIG CATS..... gotta put in the time and be willing to lose some gear to get the double digit whiskers. Trust me....there in there!!!!!!!!!!!

h8z2luze
08-24-2010, 09:06 AM

Weird. I have always heard from multiple people that its illegal.

tonsofun
08-24-2010, 02:08 PM
Its perfectly legal to catch bluegill and use them as bait. I heard how people where catching bluegill and useing then for striper about a month ago, another fishing newspaper interviewed some employee at Broadway Bait about how well anglers were doing catching stiper with bluegill. The only thing that I heard is you can only use the bluegill within 50 yards of where you caught it.

FishWisher
08-24-2010, 02:16 PM
I heard... he said, she said... DFG agent says... all bad sources!

Try the handbook of regulations! Free copies are at most bait shops and always free online:

4.20. BAIT FISH USE IN THE VALLEY AND SOUTH CENTRAL DISTRICTS.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Valley or South Central District:

(a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, and staghorn sculpin, and dead threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used in all Valley and South Central District waters except those listed in subsection (f) below.
(b) Red shiner may be used only in the Valley District north of Interstate 580 and Highway 132.
(c) Yellowfin gobies may be used in the Valley District only in those areas described in subsections (d)(1)-(3) below.
(d) In addition, except for trout and salmon, fin fish lawfully taken in the following waters by angling or with bait fish methods approved in Section 4.05 may be used only in the waters where taken:
(1) Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay and their tributaries and saltwater tributaries.
(2) Sacramento River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from the Highway 32 bridge near Hamilton City, Feather River downstream from the Oroville Hatchery Fish Barrier Dam, Yuba River downstream from Daguerre Point Dam, and American River downstream from Nimbus Dam.
(3) San Joaquin River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 5 bridge.
(e) Live threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used only at the location where taken.
(f) Fin fish may not be used in Keller Lake (Glenn Co.), Letts Lake (Colusa Co.), Merced Lake (San Francisco Co.), Upper and Lower Plaskett Meadow Ponds (Glenn Co.), Whale Rock Reservoir (San Luis Obispo Co.).

tonsofun
08-24-2010, 03:45 PM
What are fin fish? Is it a specific kind of fish or a general term used for many fish?

Bigg A
08-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Just wondering which canal did you fish? The front or the middle one that runs into the back slough?

jackelmyer
08-24-2010, 07:19 PM
When I use to fish at night, I still used natural baits with the exception of garlic chicken liver. At night the cats are on the prowl, so that means they could be anywhere!!! Now you gotta wait for them to find you instead of hunting them down in the daylight hours. At night....they roam alot more and when the sun comes up they seem to head for that good dark cover. Also at night, every little potato chip catfish will be ready to pick at your bait....thats why I rather hunt the momma and daddies down in the daytime. Sutters bypass, lisbon and knights landing are loaded with BIG CATS..... gotta put in the time and be willing to lose some gear to get the double digit whiskers. Trust me....there in there!!!!!!!!!!!

Ya know i've heard day fishing can be more successful when you know where to look. Hmm... Hmmm. Hmmm... I may have to give it a try

Nick145
08-24-2010, 08:36 PM

Weird. I have always heard from multiple people that its illegal.

Its perfectly legal to catch bluegill and use them as bait. I heard how people where catching bluegill and useing then for striper about a month ago, another fishing newspaper interviewed some employee at Broadway Bait about how well anglers were doing catching stiper with bluegill. The only thing that I heard is you can only use the bluegill within 50 yards of where you caught it.

:krzyhunter4ez:if it is illegal to use live bait at the place you are fishing then even if it is taken from the same waters whwere you plan to fish it is still illegal (where i think most confusion:confused2: comes from):krzyhunter4ez:

nick145

oldfisherman
08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
I have not chased the kittys for a while but if I were I would use chicken livers saturated in garlic salt and in the delta I would look for a flat with deep water near. I would expect to find fish near the change in depth.

Cynematek
08-25-2010, 01:42 AM
As long as there is current and the water is moving. The delta mendota canal over by hwy 132 near Vernalis is excellent for catfish, especially during the hot summer. I fish there usually all throughout summer. It's extremely hot during the day and your bait may get picked off like shutdown nfl cornerbacks so i prefer to fish in the evening so since the stripers eventually go into hiding. Sadly i have only gone out there 3-4 times this summer. The catfish are usually channel cats and are always decent sizes, a lot of times even bigger. During the day i prefer to fish underneath the hwy 132 bridge since it's always cool and windy there and if you could withstand the dinker stripers bothering your bait, you will occasionally land a nice size cat. Rarely, but not impossible, you will also land a keeper striper there too, i've seen 18+ size stripers being pulled out of there a few times before. The only bait i'll ever use there is chicken liver marinated in crushed raw garlic. I like fishing the california aqueduct system and the delta mendota canal because there are so many locations where you will have the place all to yourself and not be bothered by dissidents. You don't have to pay, you rarely get harassed by F&G not that they're punks or anything, you don't have to necessarily compete for spots with people since there are so many miles in the stretch of these canals, and you can find your own honey hole location(s) for cats or stripers and not necessarily worry about that spot being TOO overfished. If anyone is ever interested in going one of these evenings, give me a hollar if you'd like more info. As you can see i'm a huge CA aqueduct and delta mendota enthusiast as long as there aren't idiots who fish there without heeding signs of danger. :angling:

SuckerPunch
08-25-2010, 04:22 AM
Bigg Ant and Peterson gave some good points. I'll also throw in these few for clear reservoirs.

-I fish according to light levels, hitting those low-light periods - sunset, moonset, dawn, etc. Generally, the more turbid the water, the more active channels will be during the day - not so the case in reservoirs with clear water.

-In reservoirs, channels will be in shallow, narrow areas when feeding - anything that concentrates baitfish, like the back end of a flooded river channel or a really curved cove.

-Channels, at least during the summer, don't give a damn about deep water being nearby as long as there's some cover (wood, riprap) in shallow water that they can nose into during the day.

-When a channel picks up the bait, you gotta make sure that it doesn't feel any change in pressure for the first 3 or 4 seconds. After that, swing for the fences. However, if you're having something pecking at your bait, chances are it's juvenile channels or some other species of catfish such as white catfish. A big adult channel will grab, turn, and RUN with your bait.

-If you're getting those little pecks, you're either in the wrong spot or fishing at the wrong time. In my experience, juvenile channels and adult channels don't mix.

-Fresh cut-bait or live fish of some sort filter out the the little dinkers from the bigger fish.

striperking13
08-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I heard... he said, she said... DFG agent says... all bad sources!

Try the handbook of regulations! Free copies are at most bait shops and always free online:

4.20. BAIT FISH USE IN THE VALLEY AND SOUTH CENTRAL DISTRICTS.
Except as provided below, live or dead fin fish shall not be used or possessed for use as bait in the Valley or South Central District:

(a) Live or dead golden shiner, fathead minnow, mosquitofish, longjaw mudsucker, and staghorn sculpin, and dead threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used in all Valley and South Central District waters except those listed in subsection (f) below.
(b) Red shiner may be used only in the Valley District north of Interstate 580 and Highway 132.
(c) Yellowfin gobies may be used in the Valley District only in those areas described in subsections (d)(1)-(3) below.
(d) In addition, except for trout and salmon, fin fish lawfully taken in the following waters by angling or with bait fish methods approved in Section 4.05 may be used only in the waters where taken:
(1) Carquinez Strait and Suisun Bay and their tributaries and saltwater tributaries.
(2) Sacramento River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from the Highway 32 bridge near Hamilton City, Feather River downstream from the Oroville Hatchery Fish Barrier Dam, Yuba River downstream from Daguerre Point Dam, and American River downstream from Nimbus Dam.
(3) San Joaquin River and tidewater of tributaries downstream from Interstate 5 bridge.
(e) Live threadfin shad, Mississippi silverside and lamprey may be used only at the location where taken.
(f) Fin fish may not be used in Keller Lake (Glenn Co.), Letts Lake (Colusa Co.), Merced Lake (San Francisco Co.), Upper and Lower Plaskett Meadow Ponds (Glenn Co.), Whale Rock Reservoir (San Luis Obispo Co.).

AMEN....

That's why he's a moderator.....Get to the point, no wild goose chase....FISH ON

tonsofun
08-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Can anyone tell me what a fin fish is as refered to in the reply below.

jackelmyer
09-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Wooo Hooo! Finally caught something I could keep. Libson Slough, Cheekan Livers. 17 inch channel. bout freaking time.

I did notice something and I'm wondering if this is true. It would "seem" that though the kitty likes to be near strong current, "near" is the key word in the phrase. My daughter and I were getting much bigger bites and picked up a couple 14" cats, which was our biggest yet this summer <weep> in the slower current near the strong current. Is that normal? That the larger cat's are near the strong current as opposed to in it?