PDA

View Full Version : Monterey 8/22/10

neil831
08-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Went out yesterday for sea bass and butts. Got on the water with my buddy's boat about 530am, cruised out towards Tioga area, boat overheated and stopped running about 1/4 of the way there. Called coast guard, tried to flag boats down for a tow, then luckily the harbor master shows up. Gets us back in by 8am. We load the boat and head back home, on the way we decide to pick my old boat up and give it another try.

Back on the water at 9am, we head out to the spot. After picking up some live squid while jigging, we threw out some fly lines running live squid 50ft back while drifting, and 2 lines with 1/2oz weight, twenty feet down on the sides. Bite was slow all morning, saw a few fish landed. Then about 1pm, my buddy's line starts screaming! We remove the pole from the holder, let it run for a sec, then went to set the hook, and the knot was faulty. Lost it. Then about 1 hour later, my other buddy's pole peels! Fish on and landed it. Unsure of the weight, 51 inch sea bass! Biggest fish we've put on my boat. Long day but it sure paid off! Will be out again this week. Anyone know what something like this would weigh? Felt like 50lbs while holding it.

thc tuk
08-23-2010, 04:19 PM
hahhaa nice report my brotha!!!lol what a day of fishing.its almost time to do it again.thursday!!:bananatiedie:

hotdog
08-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Never say die! Way to persevere.

elgallo
08-24-2010, 05:52 AM
WTG Amigo Never say die!

Got a 40#er myself on Saturday. Im interested in knowing how the evening bite went on Monday evening. I'm gonna give it another shot this evening (Tues). Anyone know?

I know they caught em throughout the day from what I gather.

Tight Lines

4 Reels
08-24-2010, 10:22 AM
Went out yesterday for sea bass and butts. Got on the water with my buddy's boat about 530am, cruised out towards Tioga area, boat overheated and stopped running about 1/4 of the way there. Called coast guard, tried to flag boats down for a tow, then luckily the harbor master shows up. Gets us back in by 8am. We load the boat and head back home, on the way we decide to pick my old boat up and give it another try.

Back on the water at 9am, we head out to the spot. After picking up some live squid while jigging, we threw out some fly lines running live squid 50ft back while drifting, and 2 lines with 1/2oz weight, twenty feet down on the sides. Bite was slow all morning, saw a few fish landed. Then about 1pm, my buddy's line starts screaming! We remove the pole from the holder, let it run for a sec, then went to set the hook, and the knot was faulty. Lost it. Then about 1 hour later, my other buddy's pole peels! Fish on and landed it. Unsure of the weight, 51 inch sea bass! Biggest fish we've put on my boat. Long day but it sure paid off! Will be out again this week. Anyone know what something like this would weigh? Felt like 50lbs while holding it.

1783 Looks like a 35 - 40 lber. I scaled a fish similar to the one you are holding. You should carry a scale with you on trips like these. Nice catch though regardless.

thc tuk
08-25-2010, 08:20 AM
round 2 tomorrow!!!

neil831
08-25-2010, 10:02 AM
WTG Amigo Never say die!

Got a 40#er myself on Saturday. Im interested in knowing how the evening bite went on Monday evening. I'm gonna give it another shot this evening (Tues). Anyone know?

I know they caught em throughout the day from what I gather.

Tight Lines
How did you do on Tuesday? We planned on staying out the whole day Sunday, but the sun was killing us! Haven't heard from anyone fishing late in the afternoon, but when we took off, which was about 430pm, there were still 10 or so boats out there.

We do need to get a scale Tuk! Will post up a report after getting back tomorrow!

elgallo
08-26-2010, 06:03 AM
We received no love and fished until after dark. My buddy on another boat landed a nice one around say 6pm or so right beside us.

On or last drift at dark the boat next to us had one on, then two, and subsequently landed both. The fish were in the 30-40# range from what I could see.

Let's see.....What to do this weekend WSB, Albacore, or go down the Coast and hunt Blacktails. Decisions decisions what to do what to do.....

Tight lines Amigos!

thc tuk
08-26-2010, 07:17 PM
We received no love and fished until after dark. My buddy on another boat landed a nice one around say 6pm or so right beside us.

On or last drift at dark the boat next to us had one on, then two, and subsequently landed both. The fish were in the 30-40# range from what I could see.

Let's see.....What to do this weekend WSB, Albacore, or go down the Coast and hunt Blacktails. Decisions decisions what to do what to do.....

Tight lines Amigos!
damn wish my boat wasnt down :embarassed: albacore sounds killer wish i can make a trip.

HawaiianHooker
08-26-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey what did you use to jig them squid up? sabiki of any particular colors?

Thanks!

elgallo
08-27-2010, 05:39 AM
I was fly lineing high quality frozen squidlys. Fresh is better but frozen works too as long as it's in good shape.

neil831
08-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey what did you use to jig them squid up? sabiki of any particular colors?

Thanks!
The regular sabikis did work, but the colored pink/green fluorescent colors seemed to work better. The green especially, those squid loved that green hook.