PDA

View Full Version : 2 bank battery charger question

westcoasterjim
08-24-2010, 07:38 PM
I am in the process of installing 2 blue top batts along with a perko switch - bat 1- bat 2 - all - off.

My question is, can I hook up a 2 bank charger to the perko switch instead of directly to the batts. Now is the time to find this out, so I can either run "charger wire" to the batts or not.
Thanks guys, Jim

Fishbucket
08-24-2010, 08:57 PM
I would go directly to the batterys.

westcoasterjim
08-25-2010, 06:29 AM
I would go directly to the batterys.

The two batts are located inside the front bench seat. Would the best aproach be, to mount the charger as close as possible? I do have room inside the bench seat for a charger and could even install A/C plug going throunh the alum side of the seat.

Thanks for the reply Fishbucket, Jim

Wizard
08-25-2010, 06:46 AM
Sometimes a little added weight up front can impact the ride. Place the battery charger up front and take the boat out for a ride. If you notice porpoising then you can change the location without having to change the mounting. Most likely you won't have any issues, but it's best to check and it's a good reason to get the boat out.

Connect the charger directly to the batteries. Having the AC plug through the aluminum side of the seat would be convenient.

westcoasterjim
08-25-2010, 01:16 PM
Sometimes a little added weight up front can impact the ride. Place the battery charger up front and take the boat out for a ride. If you notice porpoising then you can change the location without having to change the mounting. Most likely you won't have any issues, but it's best to check and it's a good reason to get the boat out.

Connect the charger directly to the batteries. Having the AC plug through the aluminum side of the seat would be convenient.

Thanks for the tip!

would a 2 bank 15 amp charger work ok? any brand better then another?

thanks for the help, Jim

Capn B
08-25-2010, 07:33 PM
I connected my inline charger directly to the batteries. They are located under a jumpseat on the side of my boat. I like my set up because 1) I can see the charge indicator lights when plugging the unit in and out, and 2) I can reach the plug and access the area without climbing in and out of the boat. I also like having the seat open to ventilate the batteries while charging. I purchased a Minnkota brand unit and it was easy to use and install. Three years and no problems so far.

Wizard
08-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the tip!

would a 2 bank 15 amp charger work ok? any brand better then another?

thanks for the help, Jim
Yes. Some manufactures rate the charger total so 15 amp would be 7.5 amps per battery. If you go out on back to back days that charger probably won't fully recharge the batteries overnight. I prefer 10 amps per battery and my next one will be 15 amps per battery.
I've never had an issue with the ProTroll battery chargers. They're a bit more expensive.

westcoasterjim
08-27-2010, 04:31 PM
THANKS guys for all the help!!!! I bought a minn kota 230 charger today.:fishhead:

Radical
08-28-2010, 05:57 PM
Pro Charging Systems makes a 15 amp charger. The comment about not charging over night is worth considering. If I use the batterys heavily it takes 10 to 12 hrs to charge with my 10 amp per bank charger. I seem to recall from somewhere that the blue top batterys are rated for a maximun 8 amp charge rate.

westcoasterjim
08-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Pro Charging Systems makes a 15 amp charger. The comment about not charging over night is worth considering. If I use the batterys heavily it takes 10 to 12 hrs to charge with my 10 amp per bank charger. I seem to recall from somewhere that the blue top batterys are rated for a maximun 8 amp charge rate.

Sure hope these blue tops will handle more then 8 amps. The charger I bought gives 15 amps per batt.