PDA

View Full Version : crab bait

keelhaulinrob
12-10-2007, 04:19 PM
i was wondering wat is good crab bait ive got abalone guts, but do you guys suggest anything like anchoives, squid, or anything special???

Goldencarp
12-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Dad and I used to use whatever fish leftovers we had, including whole fish gone bad, and throw in some smelly, oily 'chovies or 'chovie oil. We'd chop it all up, mix well pack it in a small square open mold and freeze. Then when running the lines we'd take the frozen goodies along and put one in each trap.
Fit for a king, or in this case dungee

keelhaulinrob
12-10-2007, 06:10 PM
i like the sounds of that

EastBayAngler
12-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Chicken legs! ;)

Crass
12-10-2007, 09:29 PM
ive heard hickory smoked bacon works awesome..

...but id rather eat the bacon and chicken rocks coz crabs cant just snake the bait out the cage and scuttle off. bones rock. spoiled works better than fresh.

dimpala95
12-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Squid, salmon carcass, american shad carcass or any oily fish.

MB_Kevin
12-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Chicken legs! ;)

I've been told on the pier alot to use chicken back. I'm sure it would be the same as legs but probably cheaper. Maybe harder for them to pick the meat off of. I think they were just tyeing it directly to the net without the basket.

I have used that or fill the basket with what ever left over/gone bad bait I have.

Sharkman20
12-11-2007, 01:36 AM
rockfish carcass

kaos
12-11-2007, 08:07 AM
i've done quite a bit of research on this in the last few months. there's a book called "dungeness crabbing", i believe, and a big piece on the coastside fishing website that are great sources. here's what i've learned:

1. unlike lobsters, crabs prefer fresh to spoiled.
2. whole fish carcasses will tend to attract rock crabs, not so much dungeness.
3. it's best to use a bait jar if you're using a crab pot. it will milk longer and won't get eaten up by the crabs (and other sea creatures/insects).
4. the preferred baits are oily fish (sardines, shad, anchovies), squid, clams, fish bones.

i've followed this advice a couple times this year in tomales bay and it's worked pretty well.

dbass
12-11-2007, 08:38 AM
Foster Farms ;D

foggy
12-11-2007, 10:16 AM
fresh Humboldt Squid

Fish_R_Us
12-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Cabezone and Greenling heads along with chicken livers or squid.

scfisher831
12-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Theres alot of bait that will work,but the best bait for dungeness crabs is albacore.We us the left over heads and skelton.Its real oily,bloody and after it thaws out it stinks.This gets the most crabs per pot for us.We'll drop pots with squid and chovies in a bait jar with a rock fish carcess and rig up other pots with the albacore heads and carcess with no bait jars.The albacore pots will have 50% more crabs in them than the rock fish pots.We had 4 guys on the boat once and in 2 pots we had limits for all 4 guys with the albacore out of a 10 pot string.If you albacore fish save the left over carcess for crabbing.http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/7895/picture006tg0.jpg

tarbuckle
12-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Smoked Ham Hocks

Fish_R_Us
12-11-2007, 03:15 PM
I'll agree, Albie heads would make great bait. But where I've been crabbing lately, you are not allowed to keep the dungies. I'm just using whatever bait is free, and that's old rockfish heads for me. These crabs are scavengers and I don't really think they are going to walk away from anything that they can pick at and is edible.

MontanaN8V
12-11-2007, 03:54 PM
I thik there is an untold story here. I think Scott Peterson was just plain out of fresh chicken!

Crass
12-11-2007, 04:07 PM
you my friend, are a very funny man.. ;D

keelhaulinrob
12-11-2007, 05:20 PM
thank you i got 3 pots and im going up to bodega and camping this weekend so i hope i will come home with a few crabs

sk8erfish
12-11-2007, 07:41 PM
I used anchovies, squid, sardines today.
It's what's for dinner! Crab.

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p97/sk8erfish/crabtonight.jpg

MontanaN8V
12-11-2007, 07:54 PM
Good sized claws there on those reds sk8er [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MontanaN8V
12-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Crass, you have to keep us posted when Pacifica pier turns on for dungies! I went there a while back, and zero. Show us sum luv man!

keelhaulinrob
12-11-2007, 11:59 PM
sk8er were did you go out of? im going out of bodega i only have a 9 foot infaltable im pretty comfortable on it, but im not gonna go out super far do any of you have an suggestions.

Crass
12-12-2007, 01:12 AM
ill keep ya posted for sure! my buddy lives, well right next to the peir.. haha, above the Rusty Hook actually.. so i get minute by minute updates when the gettins good.

metalmouth
12-12-2007, 05:37 AM
I remember some guys using pound puppies for bait in their bug traps in San Diego. That didn't go over very well in the community. :-/

janbfishinfolk
12-12-2007, 06:55 AM
Pond puppies and Peterson jokes - oh man we are all going to hell. * ;D

The far side of the bay is most popular - lots of reds and sometimes Dungies. *Be careful of the sandbars and the wind in the afternoon. *I would not go out the mouth if I were you.

This map should help * http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18643.shtml

Good luck and let us know how you did.

triggerfish
12-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Do Not use rancid,rotten bait. You will be very dissapointed. you can use old stuff that has some freezer burn. The baits that have worked well for me is Tuna,heads/scraps,mackeral,bonita,sardines,anchovies,abalone scraps,crushed up clams,and rockfish heads. I like to use jars,and hanging bait. If you were smart enough too keep the rockfish heads,before they shut down our season.You are ahead of the game.

EastBayAngler
12-12-2007, 09:46 AM
These are some crabs we took off the Oakland pier on chicken legs. Fresh not rotten! Just tie them straight on the crab net! And they last forever! The same day we were out there some lady was throwing a net with salmon fillets :o...At 6.99$ a pound Im not sure I'd do that! Besides that she didnt catch one legal crab! ;D...We went home 18 crabs ;)

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/1011/rockwall9gj7.jpg
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/1641/crabbychrisqj6.jpgShadanator

MontanaN8V
12-12-2007, 12:41 PM
At fort point, I see everything from internal organs (from what I do not know), fish parts, pork chops, squid, and chicken. I always do well with chicken, and since I buy my chickens whole, and cut them down and freeze them. I save the backs, wings we do not eat, fat and skin for crab bait. Beats paying a a buck fifty or more a pound for chicken that is pre-cut, plus, I get the heart and gizzard too! Not a big fan of the liver, that is usually tossed.

kaos
12-13-2007, 08:03 AM
that photo tells me that i need to try albacore heads.

sethonious
12-13-2007, 09:04 AM
Clean out the freezer first. The best bait is some burned (not rotten) thing you wouldn't eat, and it is free. But if you have to buy bait I go with something stinky and oily for quick release (herring, sardine, mackarel) and something else that is slow release milky release (squid, octopus, cuttlefish). I always get one quick release and one slow release of whatever is cheapest and the asian grocery store.

janbfishinfolk
12-13-2007, 04:55 PM
But if you have to buy bait I go with something stinky and oily for quick release (herring, sardine, mackarel) and something else that is slow release milky release (squid, octopus, cuttlefish).

That is the exact opposite of what is said on the coastside site -
What Iíve found is that squid is a good short term bait and milks pretty quick. Oily fish like anchovies, herring, mackerel, etc. will milk slower and not go sour as fast.

Perhaps we should have a bait-off?

EastBayAngler
12-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Perhaps we should have a bait-off?

W:oW that sounds gross!!! :P ;D ;D ;D

keelhaulinrob
12-13-2007, 08:15 PM
i went to a fishing camp when i was about 13 and my friend john won the master fisher award and i won the master baiter award.

tkdvellone
12-14-2007, 11:28 PM
The fresher the bait the better. I tried this once by buying store bought mackeral and went out and caught my own the day I dropped my pots. The freshly caught out fished the store bought. Also humbolt squid are great for bait, I have tons in my frezzer for crab bait and rockcod bait( any one knows when it opens again) I rig it a certain way for the cod.

Fort_Bragger
12-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Squid in the Jar, and a hanging carcass (whatever?) has worked best for me. *IMO, WHERE makes more of a difference than what you're using for bait. *I motored down to Mendocino Bay (30 minutes @ WOT) last year and filled my two pots to the brim (30+) in just two hours. *An overnight soak off the popular Ten Mile Beach may get you a dozen if your pots don't get robbed. *I've never targeted the Humboldts, but if they make another appearance like they have out of Noyo the last two years, I'm bagging some crab bait for the freezer. *I just have to figure out a way to keep the suckers from inking my boat......Ben