PDA

View Full Version : Sad Sad Fillet'er I am...

jackelmyer
09-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Well, I'm graduating. From a sad fisherman to a sad Fillet(man?). So I've been posting here off and on the past 3ish months. I've only started back up fishing since then. Last time I was fishing was over 20 years ago as a kid. And truth be told, I never had to clean a fish back then. ;-p OOOOh gone are those days.

It would appear, I'm all thumbs when it comes to knife work on a fish. Hmmm... I want to blame YouTube and the like buuut that only get's me so far. ;-p

Marv
09-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Lol,same here I can turn a 5lb. Cat into a 2oz. fish nugget. So I throw all of them back,and get a fillet-o-fish.

striperking13
09-06-2010, 07:48 AM
That's why i dont fillet them. I just throw them in the deep fryer lolz... NOthing goes to waste. Just pick off the meat till i reach the bones lolz... FISH ON

hitide
09-06-2010, 08:46 AM
I was raised eating catfish that were not fillet'd, but when I tried to get my own children to eat catfish that way, they turned up their noses. I was forced to find a different way to present the catfish so they would eat it.
I had always fillet'd stripers, and it dawned on my to try the same tricks with catfish. However; for those that have tried to fillet catfish, they will tell you that it is very easy to cut thru the skin. I started skinning the catfish before I cut the fillets, and that works very well, but it is an extra step that I wanted to skip.
Here is how I do it...I use an electric knife. However; the ones made for filleting fish have very agressive blades to go thru heavy bones, and they will easily cut through the skin ruining your fillet. "USE DULL BLADES" Start just behind the pectoral fin, cut into but not through the spine, turn your knife and keep it just touching the spine as you cut toward the tail. Stop about 1" from the tail. Still holding the head in your hand, flip the fillet with the skin onto the cutting board. Now just run the blades down along the skin as you pull upward on the head and spine. You really just pull the fish thru the knife. Try it with your wife's kitchen electric. You might be suprised at how well it works.

SuckerPunch
09-06-2010, 08:53 AM
If a cat is above about 16 inches, I'll fillet it. I fillet 'em just the same as I do crappie, big trout, bass, and stripers. The skin doesn't come off until AFTER the fillets have been cut - at that point, just get a little corner of the skin with a pair of pliers and pull in one smooth motion. You lose very little meat doing it this way, and it's quick. I should mention that I clean those cats as quickly as possible after being caught while the meat is still firm - if you've a cat on a stringer in real warm water for hours and hours, it would probably pay to skin it first before filleting.

BeefCakeScout
09-06-2010, 07:40 PM
as kids(back when I ate a lot of cats) we would just nail the heads to a board and peel the skin off with pliers, then fillet em.

jackelmyer
09-08-2010, 11:42 AM
If a cat is above about 16 inches, I'll fillet it. I fillet 'em just the same as I do crappie, big trout, bass, and stripers. The skin doesn't come off until AFTER the fillets have been cut - at that point, just get a little corner of the skin with a pair of pliers and pull in one smooth motion. You lose very little meat doing it this way, and it's quick. I should mention that I clean those cats as quickly as possible after being caught while the meat is still firm - if you've a cat on a stringer in real warm water for hours and hours, it would probably pay to skin it first before filleting.

So you cut the meat away from the rib down to the tail, kind of like the electric knife process does and then just pull the meat off? Does it help to have the fish refrigerated if it's gotten warm on a stringer?

shadbuster
09-08-2010, 11:50 AM
The skin doesn't come off until AFTER the fillets have been cut - at that point, just get a little corner of the skin with a pair of pliers and pull in one smooth motion.

I do this with all sizes of my fish, instead of using the pliers I remove the skin by cutting with my fillet knife, don't lose any meat at all.