PDA

View Full Version : No fish at Pacifica Pier

bluestar
09-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Went out there because I've got some outta-towners and thought that's a convenient place for everyone to get some fishing. Unfortunately there is no fish there! A few undersized dungeness crabs are caught with fishing lines, but that's about it. I did not see one fish caught by anyone on that Pier!

4 Reels
09-07-2010, 10:07 AM
Went out there because I've got some outta-towners and thought that's a convenient place for everyone to get some fishing. Unfortunately there is no fish there! A few undersized dungeness crabs are caught with fishing lines, but that's about it. I did not see one fish caught by anyone on that Pier!

I hate saying this but that pier no longer produces. It is very sad because when I used to fish at that pier in the early 80's, I could swear it was the best fish producing pier on the west coast. It produced salmon (over 100 a day), we even had certain palegics come in back then. I had never seen so many types of fish caught on that pier. It was exciting and almost non stop action you will have ever experienced. Those days are long gone there. Ever since they ran that piping under the pier, everything went down hill. I really missed those days. If fishing there was anything like it was, I'd be spending half my fishing time there and not use my personal boat every time I go fishing. Those who have not fished there back in the early 80's have no idea how good it was. It was almost like a fish farm there, drop your line and you get the bite instantly and pick a good size fish almost instantly.

N.O Xpl()de
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM

not even surf perch?

bluestar
09-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Nope not even surf perch. But granted, there was at least one sea lion that kept hanging around the pier, so I don't know if that beast drove every fish away.

The various sites offering info on Pacific Pier really should update their sites with 4 REELS' info. Many of them still say this is the best place to go, which is why we went.

N.O Xpl()de
09-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Nope not even surf perch. But granted, there was at least one sea lion that kept hanging around the pier, so I don't know if that beast drove every fish away.

The various sites offering info on Pacific Pier really should update their sites with 4 REELS' info. Many of them still say this is the best place to go, which is why we went.

i found out many of them sites are way out dated. you just have to find the current reports. btw, what were you guys trying to catch? anything?

bluestar
09-07-2010, 08:58 PM
We had an assortment of baits -- live shiners, dead shiners, mussels, squid, octopus, and shrimps. We were just hope to catch something for fun. We did have fun; but would be more fun if we caught some fish. We caught a few dungeness crabs which we tossed back.

4 Reels
09-08-2010, 10:22 AM
We had an assortment of baits -- live shiners, dead shiners, mussels, squid, octopus, and shrimps. We were just hope to catch something for fun. We did have fun; but would be more fun if we caught some fish. We caught a few dungeness crabs which we tossed back.

I feel for you man, I had days like that many times as time progressed. I've been doing pier fishing mostly in the 80's and little in the mid 2000. Although fishing can be like that you have to tell yourself you must put the time and patience for it. Targeting fish, well that's when I decided to just pickup a starter boat and try it out and soon found an advantage then went on the the next size boat and found even more advantage. If you have a lot of days going out fishing spending a lot on bait that don't catch like you expect it to, I would recommend saving up some funds and try going out on a charter or go with someone who has a boat, at least it will be more productive and fun. Since the Bay Area piers have not been producing and personally I don't like taking fish inside the bay besides Halibut (worst case) I go out the coast because the fish are cleaner and bigger. I don't care much for the dredgie piss water bay fishes.

CMP
09-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I use to go out to Pacifica with my uncle on that pier way back in the golden years (well late 70's pre-hs). Fishing was intense. You could catch anything there in large quantities. A regular day day would have 2 salmon, lots of perch(+20 and great size), a striper or flounder or two. There are several reasons that pier does not produce anymore. The piping for one (someone mentioned this already), but I really feel like pollution and overfishing has killed off the pier for the most part.

Your best best is to do some shore fishing away from the pier.

sonomian
09-13-2010, 09:51 AM
If I recall correctly early 90's the local tv news report said..during the salmon run will be shoulder to shoulder fishing...everyone limit out the salmon..some forget to bring their bait, and just use a piece of aluminum foil to catch salmon.. that's how many fish there once was..