PDA

View Full Version : The Bear Took my Buck !!!!

EXCAVATOR
09-06-2010, 03:50 PM
This happened here in D-3.........Closer to Wolf road than Grass Valley I shot a nice buck, a 3x4 26 inches wide with 4 inch eye guards and heavy all the way to the tips at 7:00 pm.
My arrow was a little too far back but at 55 yards it was a good shot. I watched him run down a small ravine, there's water down there thinking he'll bed down and die.
I help my buddy get his buck he'd shot 20 minutes earlier up to the truck, then he and I went down with flashlights to start tracking mine. By now it's 8:00 pm... Real good blood trail, and he kept crossing the creek back and forth, three times.
After an hour of tracking and 150 yards we heard something in the brush in front of us, we turned our lights off and listened, sounded like that buck trying to get up, after a few minutes I said screw it, I'm going to go in and cut his throat.
I put my flashlight in my mouth and my old timer in my hand and take a couple steps before I see what looks like a big brown rug pulling at my deer. Oh S--- a bear !!!!!!!!! He looks at me we are 10 feet apart, turns and runs up the hill. He stops and starts hitting the ground with his paws and snapping his jaws at us.
My friend says lets get out of here, but I want my horns and the back strap.
I start to look at the deer and that bear really messed him up, his whole belly, one rear quarter and the brisket was torn like a shark attack.
My buddy said this isn't a good time for me to start my own CSI on this deer, so I grab his horns witch are real nice!!!!!! and cut off it's head, he can have the buck but I get the horns.
Before we go 10 yards back up the hill that bear is back eating the rest of his dinner.
So I Still have my first tag and a great story!!!!!!!!!!!

EXCAVATOR

HMONG_James_Vang
09-06-2010, 06:03 PM
wow. i would do exactly the same. do you have a photo of you and that rack?

Seon
09-06-2010, 07:13 PM
Buck'ing Bear :undecided: :grinn:

smithstation
09-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Thats a good one! I think you need to go get a bear tag and gut your next deer near that spot. We have a lot of bears up where I hunt and they are a problem just like th pigs are down lower. Good luck filling your first tag..... again!

Cal.Kellogg
09-07-2010, 07:37 PM
You've got to tag those horns and get the tag validated to be legal....Just a heads up...That's a bummer, but I'd hate to see you get popped....Cal

outdoordude
09-08-2010, 07:32 AM
yep what cal said. too bad. I've heard of that happening in camp, bear comes in after dark, strips carcus (?sp) leaves bones and tagged rack, bummer.

outdoordude
09-08-2010, 07:34 AM
oh yea and that sounds like a good place to get a rug and to get even.

LILALILFA
09-08-2010, 11:13 AM
man too bad it was dark already, otherwise you would of had bear meat for months!

bigb08
09-08-2010, 04:09 PM
wow that is a tremendous rack...pictures ?

trout wrangler
09-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Wow great story. I had a similar story that happened to me and my cousin when we were bowhunting in Idaho about 10 years ago. The bear that got our deer took it and ran all the way down the canyon with it and we never found it. Couldn't believe it, it was the first buck my cousin shot with his bow and he was ticked. Thanks again