PDA

View Full Version : Handheld gps

PapaGreg
09-16-2010, 03:43 PM
:guns:I'm going to buy a handheld unit, thinking about the Garmin GPSMAP 76 CS, any suggestions, pro, con, or indifferent?

Thanks.

CRABBY
09-17-2010, 02:31 PM
alexbui
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Add as Contact

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Join Date Oct 2009
Posts 31 Re: Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit
I have a Garmin Colorado 400C mount onto a Ram-Mount w/ suction and I love all the unit's features except at very low speed or drifting, it's a bit tough back tracking to the waypoints unless you speed up. I was told to calibrate the unit. Give Garmin website a visit. I hope that helps. Edit Post Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
03-30-2010 08:18 PM #4 Lone Angler
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Add as Contact

Join Date Aug 2008
Location Reno
Age 74
Posts 289 Re: Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit
For just speed, I have been using the cheapest model Garmen E-Trex for 10 years. Sometimes you can find them as cheap as $79. Battery life is very good since it is b&w, but since it is only used for speed, that is not an isssue. Edit Post Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post

03-31-2010 08:19 AM #6 Reel Fun
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Add as Contact
Send Email

Join Date Mar 2010
Posts 1,510 Re: Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit
Originally Posted by SMOGGUY
Looking for advice or opinions for a handheld GPS unit for back up on boat,mainly need speed.Thanks Don
" I feel the need...The need for speed" ( can anyone gues that quote? ) Don....what unit do you have now that your worried it might go out??

RF If it wasn't for bad luck....I'd have no luck!!!! Edit Post Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post
03-31-2010 02:59 PM #7 old sea ranger
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Add as Contact

Join Date Oct 2009
Location Sacramento
Posts 86 Re: Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit
I have a Lowrance H2Oc. All well work but the Lowrance can use your cards from your fish finder. It's nice to take it along on your buddies boat and plot your trip and waypoints. The new Lowrance uses micro SD cards and you have a old Nautic Path card it won't fit. 2007 19' Arima Sea Ranger 135 Honda T 9.9 kickier TR-1 Gold 2 Mag 5 Cannons Lowrance LMS-520C Edit Post Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post
03-31-2010 05:42 PM #8 SMOGGUY
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Super Moderator

Join Date Jul 2009
Location Grass Valley
Posts 1,254 Re: Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit
Ronnie,have Lowrance Lcx 28 hd,lost gps this weekend an Lowrance tech people said its the puck(antenna) ordered a new one 4000 series,$112 to my door,not bad,but a 3 to 4 week waiting time,Sooooooooo always wanting to be prepared need backup NOW.my gps had been acting up last year,speed was not steady,lock on not fast an needed help in fig.out where it was,sat.signals were weak now an then when they shouldn't have been,lots of warning signs but I didn't recognize them,oh well live an learn,lucky I wasn't in the Delta in the fog at night an trying to get back.Don Edit Post Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post
03-31-2010 05:46 PM #9 SMOGGUY
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Super Moderator

Join Date Jul 2009
Location Grass Valley
Posts 1,254 Re: Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit
Old Sea Ranger,not sure what size SD card I have,probley a big one,looked at it an it don't mirco size to me.My unit is 3 years old.Don Edit Post Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post
03-31-2010 07:35 PM #10 old sea ranger
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Add as Contact

Join Date Oct 2009
Location Sacramento
Posts 86 Re: Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit
Originally Posted by SMOGGUY
Old Sea Ranger,not sure what size SD card I have,probley a big one,looked at it an it don't mirco size to me.My unit is 3 years old.Don
Micro fit inside the SD card. You would want to look at the H2O unit. 2007 19' Arima Sea Ranger 135 Honda T 9.9 kickier TR-1 Gold 2 Mag 5 Cannons Lowrance LMS-520C Edit Post Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post
04-03-2010 06:09 AM #11 Jetspray
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Add as Contact

Join Date Aug 2007
Posts 4,716 Re: Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit
Whatever you purchase make sure it has the ability to download or attach to a computer. Buy a good ram mount. If you are carrying it around the boat, put some velcro on it and the place you are gonna seat yourself with it (almost lost one at Pyramid cause I didn't do this). Remember "handheld" does not mean keep it in your hand while the boat is moving. If you want the boat's speed you need to attach it to the boat in some fashion.........Jetspray Edit Post Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post
05-02-2010 05:36 PM #12 gaffers guyjw
View Profile
View Forum Posts
Private Message
View Blog Entries
View Articles
Add as Contact
Send Email

Join Date Feb 2009
Location Roseville
Posts 164
Blog Entries1 Re: Any opinions or advice on handheld gps unit
Garmin e trex H speed and direction other features but for $80 bucks good tool wally world gaffers guy Edit Post Reply With Quote Promote to Article Blog this Post

PapaGreg
09-17-2010, 06:22 PM
OUCHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good enough, thank you.

xeddog
09-27-2010, 08:06 AM
Since you are asking this on a fishing forum, is it safe to assume you might want to use this on a boat? I have been trying to find a gps unit that I could use anywhere. No one seems to want to try it except Garmin. The Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550 were the only two that I could find that allow you to use street maps for driving/hiking, etc., and then load their lakes maps and use them on the water for boating. They are a little too small for my purposes so I have to pass, but might suit your needs.

Wayne

ot
01-17-2011, 12:59 AM
I have the garmin 76S handheld for my aluminum boat and hiking but it is small. I also have a lowrance unit with a 5.5" screen on my larger boat and its the way to go. I keep the hand held unit as a back up. I also down loaded the detail maps on the unit and as a back up unit its pretty good. Get a color unit with at least a 5" screen is the way to go in my opinion.

good luck.