PDA

View Full Version : SF Bay Bat Rays

Fishmeister
09-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Are bat rays edible. If so, how would you cook one?

spooled
09-23-2010, 11:52 AM
LOL, now this should start a good debate. Edible is very subjective. Yes they are edible, but not many folks keep and eat them. If you have ever eaten a dish labeled "bay scallops" you are eating batray. They cut the "scallops" out of the wings with a cooklie cutter. This not to be confused with the real deal "sea scallops." Basically, bay scallops are the crab with a K of the mudmarlins. LOL

sethonious
09-24-2010, 09:30 AM
No a bay scallop is a bivalve about the size of a cockel. It is just a smaller scallop.

There is some truth to what you write though. There are urban legends that some less scrupulous fish mongers have passed off ray wing punches as scallop meat. I think the ray wing becoming scallop is kind of like the 7up poached sturgeon being like lobster. It is kind of close but not really.

spooled
09-24-2010, 10:23 AM
No a bay scallop is a bivalve about the size of a cockel. It is just a smaller scallop.

There is some truth to what you write though. There are urban legends that some less scrupulous fish mongers have passed off ray wing punches as scallop meat. I think the ray wing becoming scallop is kind of like the 7up poached sturgeon being like lobster. It is kind of close but not really.

Hell yeah, It's an urban legend then! LOL You learn something new every day! I'm going to go catch me one of those golden sturgeon now. LOL

BeefCakeScout
10-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I had ray once. The place sliced them(with the bony cartilage-y stuff intact)into strips, battered and fried them, tossed in hot sauce and butter then served them with bleu cheese. Buffalo ray wings. Not too shabby, but the flavor was lost in the sauce. I would imagine it isn't much different than skate though.

bee
10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
my friend had bat ray before and he said the meat was delicious. the only thing that sucked was cleaning it he said. im not sure how he cooked it, but he said it was all cartilidge.

EarlyFish
10-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Are bat rays edible. If so, how would you cook one?
Found it funny how I came across your post right after I landed me a batray a couple nights ago. Yes, it's edible, but many people hates it (not sure why). But the way I cook it, boy, I enjoy it more than fish. I'm going back out there for more. Sorry to steal your post, but does anyone know when is the best season for bat rays fishing?

Yosemite Sam
10-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Is there a legal size or limit on them?

YS

bee
11-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Found it funny how I came across your post right after I landed me a batray a couple nights ago. Yes, it's edible, but many people hates it (not sure why). But the way I cook it, boy, I enjoy it more than fish. I'm going back out there for more. Sorry to steal your post, but does anyone know when is the best season for bat rays fishing?

seems like the best season is right now. went out there a week ago and caught nothing but sting rays. within an hour we hooked into like 8 sting rays. it was nuts.

Fishmeister
11-10-2010, 02:26 PM
This time of year South Bay a little off the rock wall using squid, you can't keep them off the hook.

But still no recipes!!!!

FishermanDan
11-17-2010, 09:45 PM
Is there a legal size or limit on them?

YS

Your right there is a limit on them. You can keep 10 bat rays of any size.

seems like the best season is right now. went out there a week ago and caught nothing but sting rays. within an hour we hooked into like 8 sting rays. it was nuts.

I disagree. I'd say its summer, but you can definitely catch them year round.

EarlyFish
11-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Did you guys go into the bay or out to the ocean?

EarlyFish
11-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I disagree. I'd say its summer, but you can definitely catch them year round.
Thanks Dan. Well, I caught a 45lbs bat ray earlier this Nov. that took me an over an hour to land.
YouTube - Bat Ray Caught on Light Gears (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avo-K2f_L78)

bigeasy8240
11-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Batray for dinner! :www_MyEmoticons_com Ya probably better off with a dish of cigarette ashes and butts marinated in soy sauce! :signs165xk: Leopard sharks and skates are a little more palatable! :shotsgk1:

Team Opus
11-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Summer is definitly best! but like alot of guys have said they are always there, I guess there's meat on them but I wouldnt eat them! They are a hell of a fight though! nothing like hearing your drag scream on that initial run.. biggest we ever got was around 100+lbs with a wing span of atleast 5 ft across..what a beast!

EarlyFish
11-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Batray for dinner! :www_MyEmoticons_com Ya probably better off with a dish of cigarette ashes and butts marinated in soy sauce! :signs165xk: Leopard sharks and skates are a little more palatable! :shotsgk1:
I guess you havent had any bat rays on the dinner table. Well, all I got to say is that you're missing out.

Fishmeister
11-22-2010, 12:57 PM
I guess you havent had any bat rays on the dinner table. Well, all I got to say is that you're missing out.

And still no information on how to clean them or cook them!!!

EarlyFish
11-23-2010, 12:06 PM
And still no information on how to clean them or cook them!!!
Its quite simple. Just so you know, I was not taught how to cook or clean a bat ray. I just simply caught a bat ray and did some experimenting and so should you. It took 3 bat rays for me to found out the I like to handle it, and I will give you a cheat sheet. All you have to do is cut the wings, which will be the only part that you will be eating, toss the rest. You can skin the wings, which I found to be the fastest way, but some others pour hot water onto the wings and scrap off the outer layer with a knife, leaving the skin on. After that, well.. experment on them, I found out that bat ray meat is tasty in any way of cooking, just dont forget to season.

bretmoua
11-25-2010, 08:59 AM
Yep...the wings are the only part that would be edible. I tried it once a few years back and it wasn't too bad. I have yet to try a legal leopard shark yet so I can't really compare the two. But in my opinion, they all taste the same....but a little seasoning would help. :smiley:

Fishmeister
11-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the info on bat rays. Leopard shark is great eating. The key to shark is to kill it and clean it as soon as you catch it and get it on ice right away. If you don't the ammonina will get to it. Filleting is easiest for me once you get the fish home. Cut off all the dark areas. The meat is snow white. I soak in milk or half and half for an hour or so. Bread and saute in butter. Incredible.