PDA

View Full Version : pheasant hunting

Stew1
09-30-2010, 03:32 PM
where is there a good place for pheasant , and do any of you pheasant hunt without a dog
i'm in modesto

Reel Fun
09-30-2010, 06:44 PM
Pretty tough out there......alot of people will not let you hunt on their property and the clubs are pricey!!!! And wild birds are starting to get few and far between it has something to do with the padded leg traps not being used anymore and the predators population going through the roof????

RF

Waterdog
10-01-2010, 06:38 AM
There are few wild pheasants in Ca. and without a dog you probably won't flush or find any roosters you are fortunate enough to shoot. Most property owners in Ca will not give you permission to hunt their property. You can hunt refuges but the pheasant hunting isn't great there and after the first week of the season you will be lucky to flush a rooster even with a good hunting dog and without a dog forget it.
If you can afford a pheasant club that is probably your best bet, They usually have dogs you can use for a modest fee. I personally am a member of the Suisun Marsh Pheasant club and one of the reasons I like it is that you only pay for or the only birds that come off your card are the ones you actually harvest. Other clubs take the pheasants off your card that you have planted whether you get them or not.
I also belong to another hunting club that I have access to wild pheasants but its not cheap.
Bottom line without a dog you will be lucky to see a rooster in Ca. and if you do it will probably flush far out of shotgun range.
Living in Modesto call the Camanche Hills hunting preserve, you might like what you see there

GUSANO
10-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Stockton Sportsmen's Club - Pheasant Hunting (http://www.stocktonsportsmensclub.com/pheasanthunting.html)

Check these guys out. I might give them a try this season. I saw an article on these guys last year. The cheapest I've seen! The birds aren't wild, or are they old, but hey're PHEASANTS!
~

Stew1
10-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Waterdog whats it cost at your club? Do you guys know anything about Volta or gray lodge wild life area. I just can't justify spending 36 bucks for a bird

fishingfreak
10-01-2010, 06:44 PM
then dont hunt pheasants seriously if you want to hunt pheasants than pay the 36 dollors find a club or make nice with land owners and ask them if you can hunt their propety do some the work of finding them there are other birds that are easier to hunt like quail and ducks and doves and their are more of them im spoiled because my grampa has 87 acres in wilton of great pheasant hunting and i have a dog

Hof
10-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Stew1, Gray lodge is a good place to hunt pheasants. On opening day, if you walk the fields you might be able to stir a few up without a dog since they will be flying all over the place trying to avoid hunters. After that, without a dog you will just need to get lucky and work through the thick stuff. Might as well give it try, better than sitting at home. Another option would be to offer to be a block at the end of a field for some hunters. My duck hunting partner and I have teamed up with others in the past on the refuge. Specially if someone is working a young lab, like me, who cares more about working the dog and the dog getting the reward than who actually shoots the bird. Good luck if you go.

Hof

Stew1
10-01-2010, 10:17 PM
fishingfreak take me out to grampa's

Stew1
10-01-2010, 10:20 PM
hof your right I'd rather be walking the field with my son than sitting at home

Big Game
11-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Pheasant Stew,

I got soooo tired of not getting drawn for the State Refuges that I have been hunting Pheasant at "Birds Landing" (Near Rio Vista) for many years. It is a great club and the family that runs it are really cool. They have a Restaurant, Pro Shop, Sporting Clays and Bird Cleaning / Processing. You would think that the Birds are slow and fat, but actually you would be surprised. If you don't want to travel that far, check out Stockton or Stevenson's Sportsmans Club closer to you.

Good Luck! Big Game.

Stew1
12-07-2010, 09:50 PM
I've been to rooster ranch . I was out duck hunting and on my way home i stop at o'neil fore bay wild life area and saw a couple of rooster. so I'm gonna try my luck out there

DRF
12-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Stew you might want to try knight landing sportsman club they have some really good pheasant land and lots of it. they Plant birds and have wild ones as well.. Check it out

Home (http://www.klscpheasants.com/)

JrF