PDA

View Full Version : Cache Slough: tips and advice needed

macrosshn
10-04-2010, 08:30 PM
okay, so i've getting the sturgeon itch really early, and no doctor prescribed topical ointment can cure this. last Sunday my brother and i took the boat out to try and target some sturgeon but mostly, we were doing some early season recon.

we fished the horseshoe bend, didn't mark anything. we then fished near marker 25 at Sandy Beach (thanks Fishwishin for the tip). i had one good take-down and a few nibbles, not too sure if those were sturgeon bites but they were exciting none the less.

being that it's still blowing pretty good in the main river (3-4 ft whitecaps and 20 mph winds drenching us on the ride into Brannan), we're trying to find some good spots on Cache Slough to try our hand at dino-hunting where it's safer to fish; he's got two young boys that we don't want to endager. i've heard good things from this area but never had the pleasure to fish. and to be honest, i'm not even sure where to begin.

here is what we're thinking:
-try to find some sandy shoals or clam-beds
-fish the deeper shelves bordering these clam beds
-look for water in the 30ft range.
-fish near the entrance of the deep water channel :smiley_crazy:

if anyone can offer any advice on locations or spots, please chime in. i'm not looking for anyone's secret honey-hole but if you're willing to divulge, you can PM me. just general information so that we don't look like complete rookies will be greatly appreciated.
:banana:

delta916
10-06-2010, 06:39 AM
Wrong time of year for Cache. You'll spend most of your time shaking short stripers. You need to head down river this time of year.

doneli
10-06-2010, 03:45 PM
delta916 is right on that one. i will start from chain island this time of the year..good area for both, sturgeon and stripers...and as the water cool down stripers will move up river...and as soon as the water gets stained by the first rain..then is time for cache slough...you are right on your thinking except the last one...current is fast and bottom is hard clay..hard to hold anchor..also there is the wind factor, that area is open. just go inside the slough and look for a deep hole and there is plenty of shelter so you don't have to worry about the kids...good luck

-doneli-

macrosshn
10-06-2010, 06:47 PM
thanks for the advice everyone. i've been led to believe that sturgeon will hold in Cache Slough year-round. maybe i'm just deluding myself b/c i've got the sturgeon-fever. at any rate, we've already made plans for the trip and i'll keep you guys posted on my results.

now, gotta find me some good lamprey eel for bait.

delta916
10-06-2010, 10:02 PM
If you are launching in Rio Vista it's just as easy to go to Chain Island. And it would likely be more productive. Take lots of bait to Cache you'll be shaking alot of short stripers up there.

delta916
10-11-2010, 03:31 PM
So what's the scoop? Did you guys get out and did you do any good?

macrosshn
10-11-2010, 06:25 PM
so you were guys 100% correct. we went out Sunday and tried to fish Cache Slough for some early season sturgeon but no luck. we were using a combo of grass / eel /ghost / shad and even sardine and there was nary a bite.

i had a small striper rod that i threw out as well and had fun with a lot of schoolie-sized striper. we tried to fish near the mouth of the deepwater channel but the current was too strong. we then moved to an area where the current was not so strong on a shoal in about 20 ft of water and still no luck. water temps were around 65-68, much too warm for the dinosaurs.

all in all, it was still a fun outing and the kids enjoyed the trip. we ended the day with one keeper striper at 20", not a complete loss.